Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo tie rod boots-aftermarket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dangrouche
I installed a $70 Sierra Madre aftermarket (non-Lemforder) turbo tie rod kit about 5 years ago and the driver and passenger boots are torn in the same place at the outer end of each boot. Will OEM (part # 930-347-191-02) boots fit on these aftermarket tie rod ends? I believe it would as the rubber disk seems to be the spot where the narrower end of the boot would be fitted. I confirmed that OEM boots will work on aftermarket turbo tie rods.
UROpartsman
Hi Dangrouche, would you happen to still have your order confirmation from Sierra Madre for the kit? If your kit happens to be ours, we'd be happy to send you a pair of new bellows. We improved the material about two years ago after getting some reports of the old version cracking with age. Feel free to PM us any order info you have.
rudedude
I've had the same issue with after market 930 tie rod kits and boots going bad in short order. I keep sending 914rubber emails if they have replacement boots but get no reply. I think they are the same as oe boots that others have.
Mikey914
We've got them and are working on replacement boot that will be available stand alone.

Stay tuned - I guess there were a lot of failures as there are quite a few folkes asing for these biggrin.gif
dangrouche
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 28 2020, 04:50 PM) *

Hi Dangrouche, would you happen to still have your order confirmation from Sierra Madre for the kit? If your kit happens to be ours, we'd be happy to send you a pair of new bellows. We improved the material about two years ago after getting some reports of the old version cracking with age. Feel free to PM us any order info you have.

PM sent Thanks
jcd914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 28 2020, 06:32 PM) *

We've got them and are working on replacement boot that will be available stand alone.

Stay tuned - I guess there were a lot of failures as there are quite a few folkes asing for these biggrin.gif

The boots on my car failed while the car was just sitting in my garage.
They were on the car when I bought it and I don't know the brand.

Since I just got the car drivable again I am going to need some new boots.

Jim
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 28 2020, 07:50 PM) *

Now that great customer service evilgrin.gif
Stltri
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Oct 28 2020, 03:43 PM) *

I installed a $70 Sierra Madre aftermarket (non-Lemforder) turbo tie rod kit about 5 years ago and the driver and passenger boots are torn in the same place at the outer end of each boot. Will OEM (part # 930-347-191-02) boots fit on these aftermarket tie rod ends? I believe it would as the rubber disk seems to be the spot where the narrower end of the boot would be fitted. I just want to confirm if anyone has a similar experience changing out the boots on aftermarket turbo tie rods.

My Uro tie rod boots did not last more than a few months after installation. I replaced it with the OEM part you mentioned which is well made with much thicker and plyable rubber. However, installation of the OEM boot is more challenging due to the thicker rubber. But it fits just fine. (see attached pic of the Uro boot on top and the OEM on bottom)

Click to view attachment
UROpartsman
We've actually been providing OEM boots with out kits for the last two years while we redeveloped our URO boots. We should have our own boots available in a few months, but in the meantime we're still providing OEM.
Mikey914
Ours will be ready beginning of the year so I'm sure we will have a bunch of folks that will need them
By the way we are sticking the Lemforder turbo kits with boots if anyone needs some quality parts.
Not the cheapest, but you can do it right or do it again.
NS914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 28 2020, 10:32 PM) *

My boots are gone as well....sitting in the garage...excited to hear you are moving forward with just the boot.
dangrouche
QUOTE(Stltri @ Oct 29 2020, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Oct 28 2020, 03:43 PM) *

I installed a $70 Sierra Madre aftermarket (non-Lemforder) turbo tie rod kit about 5 years ago and the driver and passenger boots are torn in the same place at the outer end of each boot. Will OEM (part # 930-347-191-02) boots fit on these aftermarket tie rod ends? I believe it would as the rubber disk seems to be the spot where the narrower end of the boot would be fitted. I just want to confirm if anyone has a similar experience changing out the boots on aftermarket turbo tie rods.

My Uro tie rod boots did not last more than a few months after installation. I replaced it with the OEM part you mentioned which is well made with much thicker and plyable rubber. However, installation of the OEM boot is more challenging due to the thicker rubber. But it fits just fine. (see attached pic of the Uro boot on top and the OEM on bottom)

Click to view attachment

Thanks, that’s probably what I’ll employ then.
troth
I installed the kit from Elephant Racing a year or two ago. They looked even worse than that last month.
rudedude
I'll be in for a set when they are available
dangrouche
Just a shout out to UROpartsman. I was just told I’d be getting a set of replacement boots shortly. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
dangrouche
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 28 2020, 03:50 PM) *

A SHOUT OUT to UROpartsman!! cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif ; I received set of OEM boots on November 6th, gratis !! Got'em installed, slid them with a lil bit of lube!! If I had to buy a set of boots today, I would buy from URO, based on this extraordinary customer service !! I already have URO bushings on my rear sway bar as well.
UROpartsman
Awesome Dangrouche!

We'll receive the first run of our redesigned boots in about a month, at which time we'll switch from providing OEM boots in our turbo tie rod kits to the new URO boots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.