Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> e21 brakes will not clear stock steel wheels
wbgoggans
post Nov 6 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,167
Region Association: South East States

who here has run e21 bmw brake calipers and what wheels were you running? my calipers are rubbing on my stock steel wheels. should i go for new wheels or file down the e21 brake calipers? posting in class right now but can upload photos later
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Nov 6 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Nov 6 2020, 07:48 AM) *

who here has run e21 bmw brake calipers and what wheels were you running? my calipers are rubbing on my stock steel wheels. should i go for new wheels or file down the e21 brake calipers? posting in class right now but can upload photos later

I am running 4 lug Fuchs and they do not rub. I did have to take them in and have them re-balanced. The position of the wheel weights on the 'rear' wheels prevented them from being used on the front so I could not rotate the wheels front to back. I had the shop place the weights in a location where they did not contact the front or rear brake calipers.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Nov 7 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

I had a similar problem. Had to grind off some metal from the BMW calipers. However, on one side it was still slightly touching the wheel, so I eventually ended up using some thin 8MM wheel spacers and new longer wheel studs.

I am running a set of the old style Formula Vee aluminum wheels on my 1970 model year 914, so my fix would not be exactly the same as your issue. I also think there were two brands of 320i calipers. One is ATE and one is Girling, and each brand is slightly different in outer dimensions.
+Quote Post
wbgoggans
post Nov 9 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,167
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 7 2020, 05:32 PM) *

I had a similar problem. Had to grind off some metal from the BMW calipers. However, on one side it was still slightly touching the wheel, so I eventually ended up using some thin 8MM wheel spacers and new longer wheel studs.

I am running a set of the old style Formula Vee aluminum wheels on my 1970 model year 914, so my fix would not be exactly the same as your issue. I also think there were two brands of 320i calipers. One is ATE and one is Girling, and each brand is slightly different in outer dimensions.

would you mind sending over a few pics of the wheels and how much of your brake caliper you grinded off?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 05:36 AM