Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: e21 brakes will not clear stock steel wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbgoggans
who here has run e21 bmw brake calipers and what wheels were you running? my calipers are rubbing on my stock steel wheels. should i go for new wheels or file down the e21 brake calipers? posting in class right now but can upload photos later
AZBanks
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Nov 6 2020, 07:48 AM) *

who here has run e21 bmw brake calipers and what wheels were you running? my calipers are rubbing on my stock steel wheels. should i go for new wheels or file down the e21 brake calipers? posting in class right now but can upload photos later

I am running 4 lug Fuchs and they do not rub. I did have to take them in and have them re-balanced. The position of the wheel weights on the 'rear' wheels prevented them from being used on the front so I could not rotate the wheels front to back. I had the shop place the weights in a location where they did not contact the front or rear brake calipers.
914sgofast2
I had a similar problem. Had to grind off some metal from the BMW calipers. However, on one side it was still slightly touching the wheel, so I eventually ended up using some thin 8MM wheel spacers and new longer wheel studs.

I am running a set of the old style Formula Vee aluminum wheels on my 1970 model year 914, so my fix would not be exactly the same as your issue. I also think there were two brands of 320i calipers. One is ATE and one is Girling, and each brand is slightly different in outer dimensions.
wbgoggans
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 7 2020, 05:32 PM) *

I had a similar problem. Had to grind off some metal from the BMW calipers. However, on one side it was still slightly touching the wheel, so I eventually ended up using some thin 8MM wheel spacers and new longer wheel studs.

I am running a set of the old style Formula Vee aluminum wheels on my 1970 model year 914, so my fix would not be exactly the same as your issue. I also think there were two brands of 320i calipers. One is ATE and one is Girling, and each brand is slightly different in outer dimensions.

would you mind sending over a few pics of the wheels and how much of your brake caliper you grinded off?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.