Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help will not start, Debug
neilbardsley
post Nov 8 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,754
Region Association: Europe

I've been driving around all weekend in my 914. It has never failed to start quickly. I've been giving it a tune up. Sine it's new to me. Yesterday I fitted new points and adjusted the angle from 60 to about 48. I couldn't find the timing marks so decided to wait a day.

After much searching I found the 27 degree advance mark. It's hidden on the side of the fly wheel I can't see without using my mobile. Seeing that I had moved the dwell angle from 60 to 48 I suspected the car was running a bit better because it was now too advanced. Once I took the vacuum lives off the distributor it was idling nearer 2000. After going the wrong way I figured out I needed to turn the distributor clockwise to retard it. Got it onto the timing mark when decided to attach my rpm counter to check I was at 3400 when hitting the 27 adv mark. The car stopped mid check and just refused to start again.

Not clear to me what failed mid test. I suspect something electronic but ? I checked that I hadn't removed any ignition wires from the distributor cap still no luck. I should add the green oil light has stopping coming on when I try to start. Then it got dark

Might order a new condenser and fit it? Anyone know the part number?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:41 PM