Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Autopower Roll Bars?, Experience? Good or Bad?
jhadler
post Jul 15 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Long term tinkerer...

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bolt-in roll bar that I can use for Time Trials, but be able to remove for autox. I understand that Autpower makes one for the 914. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd be looking at a roll bar that mounts to the rocker sills and to the B-pillar seat belt anchors. With an additional diagonal brace for GCR legality (so I can wear my harness at TT events).

Pros? Cons? Good? Bad? Ugly?.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Thanks!

-Josh2
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 21)
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 15 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #21

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Good question Travis. My car has a bolt-in Autopower cage (I am told that welded is better because it does more to stiffen the chassis). I removed the long. carpet and discovered that the inside wall of the long. was cut open for access to nuts below. A 3-sided "door" was created, folded up and then closed. Not welded. There appears to be some angle iron reinforcement below the "door" but it still doesn't look too good to me.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 16 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jul 16 2005, 03:19 AM)
Or weld in a scab plate with nuts welded to the backside (and of course large enough holes in the longs for the nuts to pass through for a flush fit).

yep, that's how it works
make the scab plates as big as possible
an upside down L shaped scab plate is recommended

reasons why I like the safety devices...
first of all, their stuff is FIA approved
you can get the rollbar first and later add the front section to make it into a complete cage
the current versions of the SD rollbar has a V that bolts to the firewall instead of a diagonal

nothing beats a custom fully welded cage (like Andy suggests), but if you want to go bolt in, or just a rollbar, SD is the way to go (IMO)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 04:15 PM