Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0 or more, Bigger is better
930cabman
post Nov 14 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I cut my wrenching teeth on VW bugs and Type 3's back in the '70's and '80's. Been somewhat out of the game for several years looking to rejoin into the 914 world. Generally the easiest way for more kick is to increase displacement. Short of going to turbo's what is available as far as big bore kits. I am not interested in going the 6 cylinder route or chevy small block route. The car will be street only, but I need speed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 14 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Welcome to the forum.

This is a well covered topic and search is your friend here. One easy thing to do is to Google “big bore engine 2256 914world.com” but drop the quotes when you paste that into Google.

Getting above 2.0L and having it last requires thought, effort and money. I’d start with what your goals are and how much actual budget you have, that will open or close doors.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Nov 14 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,051

Head over to shoptalkforum and dig into the type4um lots of good big builds there. like 2.7-3.0 liters from Raby and some other more plausible builds too.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 15 2020, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 14 2020, 06:38 PM) *

Welcome to the forum.

This is a well covered topic and search is your friend here. One easy thing to do is to Google “big bore engine 2256 914world.com” but drop the quotes when you paste that into Google.

Getting above 2.0L and having it last requires thought, effort and money. I’d start with what your goals are and how much actual budget you have, that will open or close doors.

Speed costs $$, how fast do you want to go. Universal statement
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 15 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How fast and budget? A 2056 with 120-130hp can be built for $5-6k
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 15 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Bleyseng just nailed it. Go with a 2056 and stock fuel injection with a mild cam and nice exhaust. Reliable, strong and pretty bullet proof. Heat is the enemy of these engines and going large displacement on a 4 is a recipe for engine death unless you spend the money to do it right and keep it cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 15 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 15 2020, 05:40 PM) *

Bleyseng just nailed it. Go with a 2056 and stock fuel injection with a mild cam and nice exhaust. Reliable, strong and pretty bullet proof. Heat is the enemy of these engines and going large displacement on a 4 is a recipe for engine death unless you spend the money to do it right and keep it cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks guys, car I am considering is a carbed version 1.7. I will make the trip next weekend and bring her home if the rust is not too bad. Can these cases be used for a 2056 kit? I am very new to the 914 world. Been a 356 and 911 guy for many years.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 15 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 15 2020, 03:11 PM) *

Thanks guys, car I am considering is a carbed version 1.7. I will make the trip next weekend and bring her home if the rust is not too bad. Can these cases be used for a 2056 kit? I am very new to the 914 world. Been a 356 and 911 guy for many years.

Yes, the cases are the same. The 2.0l crank and rods are different but the same ones sre used in BW Baywindow buses. The 2.0L heads are totally different and the can be bought new from Len@HAM that are set up for HP. If you can find a Djet or ljet set up For Fuel injection thats one way to go. Carbs is another
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 15 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 15 2020, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 15 2020, 03:11 PM) *

Yes, the cases are the same. The 2.0l crank and rods are different but the same ones sre used in BW Baywindow buses. The 2.0L heads are totally different and the can be bought new from Len@HAM that are set up for HP. If you can find a Djet or ljet set up For Fuel injection thats one way to go. Carbs is another

I thought those are only available at lnengineering now and around $3,850, no?

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 15 2020, 09:29 PM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

New 2.0L AA casting are reworked by Len with all new parts. Roughly $1700 for a set which I am running myself in my 2056 engine. I have 44x38 valves too
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 15 2020, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 15 2020, 10:29 PM) *

New 2.0L AA casting are reworked by Len with all new parts. Roughly $1700 for a set which I am running myself in my 2056 engine. I have 44x38 valves too

how much more hp with len’s heads and the 2057 set up with d-jet? i can tell you after my first a/x weekend that while the 914 handed far better than most of the hot hatches there this weekend they best me by 5 sec or so and it has so much to do with the quick acceleration out of the corners, which i was sorely lacking—. very i interested in doing this by next weekend. i can run SCCA heritage , even with the 2056 as long as the case is the original stock case, can’t turbo it.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 15 2020, 10:49 PM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 15 2020, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 15 2020, 10:29 PM) *

how much more hp with len’s heads and the 2057 set up with d-jet? i can tell you after my first a/x weekend that while the 914 handed far better than most of the hot hatches there this weekend they best me by 5 sec or so and it has so much to do with the quick acceleration out of the corners, which i was sorely lacking—. very i interested in doing this by next weekend. i can run SCCA heritage , even with the 2056 as long as the case is the original stock case, can’t turbo it.

I set my car up for AXing and track use in 2004. The 120hp is nice but installing a shorter 3rd and 4th gears made the difference plus being able to rev to 6000 rpms. BUT a 914 in AXing isn’t about acceleration but carrying speed thru the corners. Money spent on suspension upgrades and tires makes a huge improvement
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 16 2020, 07:35 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 15 2020, 11:49 PM) *

. . . AXing isn’t about acceleration but carrying speed thru the corners. Money spent on suspension upgrades and tires makes a huge improvement

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I used to AX my Miata as SCCA C street (stock) level in the 90s. Had the opportunity to ride with former SCCA Nationals winner driving my car. It was humbling. There was ton's of time left in my car. All about the driver, technique, and maintaining momentum. And that was with my lard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) as dead weight in the car too! 914's are no different.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 16 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #14

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 16 2020, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 15 2020, 11:49 PM) *

. . . AXing isn’t about acceleration but carrying speed thru the corners. Money spent on suspension upgrades and tires makes a huge improvement

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I used to AX my Miata as SCCA C street (stock) level in the 90s. Had the opportunity to ride with former SCCA Nationals winner driving my car. It was humbling. There was ton's of time left in my car. All about the driver, technique, and maintaining momentum. And that was with my lard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) as dead weight in the car too! 914's are no different.

no doubt i have a lot to learn!!! i am sure there is a some more time in the car and a few tweaks to be made . i let an instructor drive the car for a run and he was not used the the long throw of the clutch in a 914, but i watched his line and how he came thru several turns and braking points etc., so then my next run was much faster, inf fact i ran faster than he did, but that is just me knowing my car better than him. if he took it out for 3-4 more runs no doubt he would have knocked off a good 5-6 seconds i am sure. - hey i went out to learn and get a better feel for what the car can do, it’s very tight and well balanced, with the sport bilistein and 205/55-16 on 7” rear and 6” front, it’s super tight. i never slid or lost traction in front, just the rear on a couple tight corners, came in too tight on wrong line, but it comes back fast, i never felt like i was going to spin out or loose it, but i could feel towards the last run i was getting a good feel of how far i could push it. being only 3-4 seconds behind a couple of the mazda’s , bmw and suby in our novice class and looking at the times of the fret class drivers i can see it could be competitive
looking forward to seeing home much i can improve next year with learning how to adjust the suspension etc, like, if i dropped the rear one notch it would add an extra degree of negative camber and i think i could hold those tight corners a bit better.
any other suggestions are welcome !!
+Quote Post
VG-914
post Nov 16 2020, 08:14 AM
Post #15

777AIA

Member No.: 12,980
Region Association: Southwest Region

Now-a-days, you need to start keeping an eye on resale value. So many 914‘s has been chopped up and modified, that we are starting to see the purebreds are seeing some real numbers in resale, as they have never seen before. All I ask is that if you pick up at 914 that is stock, you don’t bastardized it too much… Find one that’s already been chopped and do your dirty work! Sorry - but I like ‘em stock. Too much street fun as they are. If I needed some speed, I’d be sitting in a WRX.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 16 2020, 10:49 AM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Nov 16 2020, 09:14 AM) *

Now-a-days, you need to start keeping an eye on resale value. So many 914‘s has been chopped up and modified, that we are starting to see the purebreds are seeing some real numbers in resale, as they have never seen before. All I ask is that if you pick up at 914 that is stock, you don’t bastardized it too much… Find one that’s already been chopped and do your dirty work! Sorry - but I like ‘em stock. Too much street fun as they are. If I needed some speed, I’d be sitting in a WRX.

great advice for the O.P. and i take it as well., unless it is already too far out there already,
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 16 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #17

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Nov 16 2020, 06:14 AM) *

That's why I like a 2056 w/Djet as it looks totally stock, Sway bars and shocks can help alot in AXing plus bigger Tbars and rear springs.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 16 2020, 01:00 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

".....I need speed...."

What does this mean? The 914 with a four jug will not be fast but might be quick and nimble.

Like Geoff said you'd have to play with the gear box for it to be really quick. If you want it for the street I'd say stick with the short stroke rods but go big jug....like a 1911 with L-jet.

Forget the carbs...bad idea

My .02 from experience.

PS.

Once you go flat six you'll never look back.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 16 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 16 2020, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Nov 16 2020, 09:14 AM) *

great advice for the O.P. and i take it as well., unless it is already too far out there already,

That has been my objective with restorations for many years. I have done minor modifications (always easily reversible) and always work towards getting close to factory specs. The specimen I am looking at appears generally stock, might even have original paint, but not taken care of for many years.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 16 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #20

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 16 2020, 11:00 AM) *

".....I need speed...."

Once you go flat six you'll never look back.

Just these days a flat six will totally empty your wallet just like a wooden boat.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:49 AM