Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0 or more, Bigger is better
914_teener
post Jan 5 2021, 02:44 PM
Post #121

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

You need a sheet metal shrinking press and an English Wheel.

I love the the Emerson quote:

"A brave man is no braver than an ordinary man; he is just braver for 5 more minutes."

Stay brave.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Jan 5 2021, 03:11 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2021, 03:36 PM) *

Thank you, a "new" 2 liter basket case motor is on the way from Kentucky. Back to the original post: 2056 with some head work might be the order of the day.

Will the L jet keep up with things or twin Webers. My gut is telling me to try the stock system

You can run a 2056 with L-Jet with slightly larger injectors but if you start with a 2.0 engine it will have a D-Jet system. I would recommend FI for drivability reasons.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 5 2021, 03:57 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rbzymek @ Jan 5 2021, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2021, 03:36 PM) *

Thank you, a "new" 2 liter basket case motor is on the way from Kentucky. Back to the original post: 2056 with some head work might be the order of the day.

Will the L jet keep up with things or twin Webers. My gut is telling me to try the stock system

You can run a 2056 with L-Jet with slightly larger injectors but if you start with a 2.0 engine it will have a D-Jet system. I would recommend FI for drivability reasons.

Brave or crazy? approaching retirement a project was in order. The hulk came with a 1.8 with L jet, a 1973 2.0 is on the way from an Ebay purchase, not sure if it's D jet or? Is there a good source for anybody who opens up the heads for improved flow?

thanks all, I am very new to the 914 life and grateful for the assistance/encouragement
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Jan 5 2021, 04:52 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

[quote name='930cabman' date='Jan 5 2021, 04:57 PM' post='2880714']
[quote name='rbzymek' post='2880704' date='Jan 5 2021, 04:11 PM']
[quote name='930cabman' post='2880687' date='Jan 5 2021, 03:36 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Brave or crazy? approaching retirement a project was in order. The hulk came with a 1.8 with L jet, a 1973 2.0 is on the way from an Ebay purchase, not sure if it's D jet or? Is there a good source for anybody who opens up the heads for improved flow?

thanks all, I am very new to the 914 life and grateful for the assistance/encouragement
[/quote)

Len Hoffman is the head resource most people use. Others can advise on the changes required for your 2.0 D-Jet system. I used the 1.8 L-Jet system on my 2056. The L-Jet system uses a vane meter to measure air flow. The D-Jet has a pressure sensor and is an analog speed density system.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 5 2021, 05:29 PM
Post #125

Advanced Member

I am leaning towards the L jet, measuring air flow sounds better than measuring pressure. I have been researching L jet and D jet systems, they appear similar. Was the L jet used on 1.8 engines and D jet used on 2.0 liter engines?

How would I contact Len Hoffman.

Raby speaks to the air flow, but his stuff is out of my price range.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 6 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #126

Advanced Member

Got lucky again today, rear floor/firewall on passenger side is reasonably clean. I will be removing most of the "seam sealer" as rust is hiding underneath.Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

It's better to be lucky than good, but being good doesn't hurt
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 6 2021, 12:00 PM
Post #127

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Don't you just hate when you punch a hole for a rosette weld and then it hangs in the air with noting to weld to?

I thought I was the only one that did that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 6 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #128

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Was the L jet used on 1.8 engines and D jet used on 2.0 liter engines?

AFAIK that is right. D-Jet on 1.7 and 2.0L and L-Jet on 1.8L. I believe the L-Jet also has an altitude sensor which would be a big plus where I live. I've never heard the reason they chose two different systems among the 3 engine sizes. Actually 3 systems I guess, if you count the dual Solex carbs on the Euro 1.8s.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 6 2021, 12:26 PM
Post #129

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 6 2021, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Was the L jet used on 1.8 engines and D jet used on 2.0 liter engines?

AFAIK that is right. D-Jet on 1.7 and 2.0L and L-Jet on 1.8L. I believe the L-Jet also has an altitude sensor which would be a big plus where I live. I've never heard the reason they chose two different systems among the 3 engine sizes. Actually 3 systems I guess, if you count the dual Solex carbs on the Euro 1.8s.

I am looking into going the 2056 route with 1.8 case, 2.0 crank/rods, (heads are undecided) and L jet.

Yes/No?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 6 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #130

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Cases are all (basically) the same. Any year works fine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 6 2021, 02:38 PM
Post #131

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

If you are going to use LJet then you need to use 1.7 or 1.8 heads.
This is not an issue, as the heads can be built to your specs. 2.0 heads won't work as the studs for the L-jet will be in the wrong place.

Zach
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 6 2021, 03:32 PM
Post #132

Advanced Member

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 6 2021, 03:38 PM) *

This is not an issue, as the heads can be built to your specs. 2.0 heads won't work as the studs for the L-jet will be in the wrong place.

Zach

Thank you, I am new to the 914 life and can use all the help I can get. The rusted hulk came with an EC 1.8, and recently found a GA 2.0 on Ebay, it's on the way. For simplicity I am thinking running the L jet with a big bore kit. I am seeing many of these are junk. The $3.5k pistons/cylinders are not an option for this build. Hopefully someone else makes a decent product
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 6 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #133

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 6 2021, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 6 2021, 03:38 PM) *

Zach

Thank you, I am new to the 914 life and can use all the help I can get. The rusted hulk came with an EC 1.8, and recently found a GA 2.0 on Ebay, it's on the way. For simplicity I am thinking running the L jet with a big bore kit. I am seeing many of these are junk. The $3.5k pistons/cylinders are not an option for this build. Hopefully someone else makes a decent product

There are no real diffetences with the EC case and the GA cases as previously posted.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 6 2021, 05:10 PM
Post #134

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 6 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Zach

I'm just curious, but will the 2.0 intake runners not work with L-Jet? I've never seen an L-Jet system in person so don't have a clue.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 6 2021, 05:22 PM
Post #135

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 6 2021, 05:10 PM) *

Zach

I'm just curious, but will the 2.0 intake runners not work with L-Jet? I've never seen an L-Jet system in person so don't have a clue.

Zach is wrong on this. (Sorry Zach). I have run L-Jet with 2.0 heads. But the 2.0 intake runners have to be tweaked to match the 1.8 plenum, and you have to run slightly longer intake boots between the plenum and the runners. But it all fits and works well. I know there are others on here that have done this too.

For a 2056, you are going to want the Vanagon throttle body mod, and the bigger Nissan 280ZX injectors. The 1.8 throttle body is way too small for a 2056, and will choke the engine down.

If you run 1.8L heads, you can still build a 2056. Just have 2.0 valves put in the 1.8 heads. The spark plug angle is the only real difference in them. Yes, the plug angle makes the engine perform better, but the 1.8L heads don't suffer from cracking between the valve seat and the spark plug hole. So you give up a little in the HP department, and get some long term reliability.

Clay
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 6 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 6 2021, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 6 2021, 05:10 PM) *

Zach

Zach is wrong on this. (Sorry Zach). I have run L-Jet with 2.0 heads. But the 2.0 intake runners have to be tweaked to match the 1.8 plenum, and you have to run slightly longer intake boots between the plenum and the runners. But it all fits and works well. I know there are others on here that have done this too.

For a 2056, you are going to want the Vanagon throttle body mod, and the bigger Nissan 280ZX injectors. The 1.8 throttle body is way too small for a 2056, and will choke the engine down.

If you run 1.8L heads, you can still build a 2056. Just have 2.0 valves put in the 1.8 heads. The spark plug angle is the only real difference in them. Yes, the plug angle makes the engine perform better, but the 1.8L heads don't suffer from cracking between the valve seat and the spark plug hole. So you give up a little in the HP department, and get some long term reliability.

Clay

I am gaining an education in many things 914, thank you all contributors.

In our inventory pile is a stock 1.8 (minus cylinders) and a 2.0 complete. I will be inspecting both cases and choose the closest to spec. Hopefully the 2.0 crank and rods are serviceable. A new set of pistons/cylinders is a given. Is a mild increase in lift/duration desired for our engines? Is the geometry (plug angle) different from the 1.8 vs the 2.0 head? I had thought about oversize valves/seats. I have been researching hopping up the L jet system.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 6 2021, 06:34 PM
Post #137

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

It might be worth it to you to bore out the 2.0 cylinders and order pistons. The metal on the old mahle cylinders is better than many of the newer aftermarket offerings. It’s not always cheaper than new but some of the new cylinders are known for being off spec.

I just got two done for my motorcycle and it was $150 for the pair.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 6 2021, 06:40 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2021, 07:34 PM) *

It might be worth it to you to bore out the 2.0 cylinders and order pistons. The metal on the old mahle cylinders is better than many of the newer aftermarket offerings. It’s not always cheaper than new but some of the new cylinders are known for being off spec.

I just got two done for my motorcycle and it was $150 for the pair.

I am assuming they are all cast iron, but the German stuff is probably better in quality. The cylinders I have from the 1.8 are cracked/broken unservicable. Whomever took it apart must have used a bfh. I am hoping the cylinders coming with this new 2 liter are ok, if not I hope used cylinders are available
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jan 6 2021, 07:21 PM
Post #139

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

[/quote]

Clay
[/quote]

What Clay said...
This is the set up I’m using, as are a couplafew others (Jim Hoylamd, Worn and some I’m forgetting)

I’m using 912 injectors, an enlarged throttle body, and a 123 distributor. Car runs great, the first 30 seconds notwithstanding (maybe a idle speed lever is in order)

The distributor and throttle body made the biggest impact

HTH, Joe
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 7 2021, 12:28 AM
Post #140

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 27 2020, 04:47 AM) *

How many guys when in this deep delete the heat tubes? This 914 will never be driven when it's cold.

I say keep them. Even if it isn't cold where you are, it's good to be able to defog the windscreen on occasion. And it's a whole lot harder to put the tubes back in after you're finished with the longs!!

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2021, 03:29 PM) *

I am leaning towards the L jet, measuring air flow sounds better than measuring pressure.

The above is right; you can adapt the 1.8's system to fit on a 2.0 motor. Or find 912E parts; those used a 2.0 914 motor with L-jet. But good luck with that since they only EVER made 2099 of them.

One thing I would strongly suggest: Find a wide-band O2 meter to make sure it doesn't run lean under any RPM and load combination. You really do not want to run the engine lean.

How would I contact Len Hoffman.

https://newsite.hamheads.com/

You can find the heads he designed at the Type 4 Store. Not cheap, but they are brand-new castings.

https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/cylinder-heads.html

--DD
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:53 AM