Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0 or more, Bigger is better
914_teener
post Nov 16 2020, 02:52 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 16 2020, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 16 2020, 11:00 AM) *

".....I need speed...."

Once you go flat six you'll never look back.

Just these days a flat six will totally empty your wallet just like a wooden boat.

Agreed.

However on the slippery slope of life what is more profound than the sound of a flat six behind you through a twisty road and or a well done Cris Craft Runabout floating down the river and lake of life. Besides a built four is two thirds the way to a six.

I'd agree nowdays with the post:

Keep the 914 stock and if you want a flat six buy a 986 or 987 while they are still reasonable.

You can't take it with you.....any of it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 16 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes, keep em stockish as long as its reversible the world is yours as long as you have the money to spend.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 16 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 16 2020, 03:55 PM) *

Yes, keep em stockish as long as its reversible the world is yours as long as you have the money to spend.

A 914-6 clone might be in my future. I have been a Porsche guy since the early '70's, including two 1954 speedsters, #74 and #159 out of the production run of 200, These days a 356 SC, 1975 911S and 1987 turbo cab are in the stable. As retirement nears I am looking for a project needing some panel replacements. I have always had fun with oxy/acy welding, but these days a little Lincoln MIG fills the bill.

thanks to all for the feedback
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 17 2020, 03:02 PM
Post #24

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you have the money to build a 6 and put it in a 914 these days you likely have the money to do whatever you want to your 914. A quality 6 build for the engine and accessories is about the same as an entire new small car. Not a fancy one, but still...

Zach
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 17 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 17 2020, 04:02 PM) *

If you have the money to build a 6 and put it in a 914 these days you likely have the money to do whatever you want to your 914. A quality 6 build for the engine and accessories is about the same as an entire new small car. Not a fancy one, but still...

Zach

As I currently find myself cash flowing a 2.4L rebuild I can only agree with your premise.

And your point is? For the price of a Lambo I could also buy a nice house. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) It's always been this way. When I was younger I desperately wanted a six but couldn't afford it back in the day.

When I had my first teener back in the late 80's I was broke and could barely afford to rebuild my 1.7L when it lost oil pressure. Actually, I couldn't afford it . . . and did it on a credit card since the teener was my daily driver at the time. Now later in life, I find myself in the fortunate position of being able cash flow it over time .

It's all relative. Spread out over two or three years, it doesn't hurt quite as much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 17 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 17 2020, 04:02 PM) *

Zach

Who wants an entire new small car? I can see a somewhat built 2.4 or 2.7 tucked into the 914. Heading to pickup the "new"914 this weekend, its about a 6 hour ride (one way), but the price is right. I have worked hard and played my cards right for 50+ years so I suppose having some disposable income is fine.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 17 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #27

Aircooled Baby!

I passed on my chance to install a six years ago with a 2.4 I picked up and then sold it to fellow member who installed it in a 914 conversion.
These days I'd just buy a converted 914 with all the stuff done, way cheaper.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 17 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 17 2020, 07:23 PM) *

I passed on my chance to install a six years ago with a 2.4 I picked up and then sold it to fellow member who installed it in a 914 conversion.
These days I'd just buy a converted 914 with all the stuff done, way cheaper.

Sure take the easy way out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 18 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #29

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

For the cost of what I have in my 914-6 4.0, I could have a new GT4. But even when it is a limited production run like a GT4, it is still a sterile, no personality car that anyone can buy if they have the money.

My 914 is unique, and reflects my personality and preferences as to what I want. There is not another one out there like mine. Plus, when someone disses it, I can look them in the eyes and say....

"You bought yours, I BUILT mine."

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 18 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #30

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 18 2020, 01:04 PM) *

For the cost of what I have in my 914-6 4.0, I could have a new GT4. But even when it is a limited production run like a GT4, it is still a sterile, no personality car that anyone can buy if they have the money.

My 914 is unique, and reflects my personality and preferences as to what I want. There is not another one out there like mine. Plus, when someone disses it, I can look them in the eyes and say....

True enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 18 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 18 2020, 04:04 PM) *

Clay, at least two positive things: "you built it" and "as to what I want". Keep up the good work. If the funds are available, why not use them? Personally. I will be gifting my kids enough, if a six will be in the 15 - 20k range, who cares

BTW, I assume a 2.7 can be shoe horned into the 914 engine bay?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 18 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #32

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 18 2020, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 18 2020, 04:04 PM) *

Clay, at least two positive things: "you built it" and "as to what I want". Keep up the good work. If the funds are available, why not use them? Personally. I will be gifting my kids enough, if a six will be in the 15 - 20k range, who cares

BTW, I assume a 2.7 can be shoe horned into the 914 engine bay?

Easy peasy, its all the 911 stuff the must be installed ie oil tank, maybe oil cooler etc
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 18 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Oil tank, Wiring, front mounted engine cooler, lines and fittings to get the oil back-and-forth to the front mounted oil cooler, thermostat, Engine 10 in seals , revised engine mount in some brain damage on the right way to approach that, exhaust, shifter set up and linkage, muffler...

It all adds up. Quickly. And in large amounts of cubic dollars.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 19 2020, 12:04 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 10:17 PM) *

Oil tank, Wiring, front mounted engine cooler, lines and fittings to get the oil back-and-forth to the front mounted oil cooler, thermostat, Engine 10 in seals , revised engine mount in some brain damage on the right way to approach that, exhaust, shifter set up and linkage, muffler...

"Easy peasy", I can work with that. If it was done 50 years ago, how hard can it be today. The $$ just need to be worked out it terms of enjoyment.

Thanks to all for the replies, we are scheduled to pickup the hulk this weekend and a 2.7 just might find its way into the bed of my F150. Its on the way and the right price
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 19 2020, 08:30 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 19 2020, 01:04 AM) *

"Easy peasy", I can work with that. If it was done 50 years ago, how hard can it be today. The $$ just need to be worked out it terms of enjoyment.

Thanks to all for the replies, we are scheduled to pickup the hulk this weekend and a 2.7 just might find its way into the bed of my F150. Its on the way and the right price

Go for it but keep in mind that mag case engines can be spendy to get fully/properly rebuild (if that is eve needed).

Keep us posted and good luck!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 19 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 19 2020, 12:04 AM) *

Well that escalated quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Honestly, I think the stock 2L engine makes for a nearly perfectly balanced package for a street ride. It makes a light and nimble car with enough pep to put smiles on in the twisties, yet reliable, quiet, and fantastic mileage (easily 30+ mpg) for long touring. However, I seem to be a minority in this crowd in that I'm not addicted to HP and I HATE noise of any kind. Sure, a big four or a six would be a lot more fun for that 5% of the time I like to flog the car hard, but would come at the expense of enjoyment for the other 95%. That's just me though.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 19 2020, 10:02 AM
Post #37

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 19 2020, 10:13 AM) *

Honestly, I think the stock 2L engine makes for a nearly perfectly balanced package for a street ride. It makes a light and nimble car with enough pep to put smiles on in the twisties, yet reliable, quiet, and fantastic mileage (easily 30+ mpg) for long touring.

Yup. Very quickly.
In 5 days the OP went from a 1.7 /4 to a 2.7 /6.

There isn't anything wrong with that, and it seems like 930cabman may have at least a little experience restoring cars.

This build is going to have DWD though. Does not even have the car yet and already the "while I'm in there" has started. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Zach

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 19 2020, 12:34 PM
Post #38

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 09:17 PM) *

You don't absolutely have to have a front mounted oil cooler. I don't have one. But you do need a bigger oil cooler if you want to put it in the back. The 4.0 has two 964 coolers mounted in the rear, one on each side. Temps run 190 to 210. They went up a little when I put the rear valance on.

For a 2.7, a 911 Carrera cooler mounted in the left rear corner works fine. I ran one on the 2.4 for years with no issues.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 20 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 19 2020, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 19 2020, 10:13 AM) *

Honestly, I think the stock 2L engine makes for a nearly perfectly balanced package for a street ride. It makes a light and nimble car with enough pep to put smiles on in the twisties, yet reliable, quiet, and fantastic mileage (easily 30+ mpg) for long touring.

Yup. Very quickly.
In 5 days the OP went from a 1.7 /4 to a 2.7 /6.

There isn't anything wrong with that, and it seems like 930cabman may have at least a little experience restoring cars.

This build is going to have DWD though. Does not even have the car yet and already the "while I'm in there" has started. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Zach

Yes, about 40+ years wrenching on mostly VW and Porsche. Years ago I did at least several rusted out 356's and Ghia's. Oxy/Acetylene was the standard back then, these days I have a couple MIG machines and have fun with them. A project car is in view and heading to pick it up tomorrow, sight unseen. in boxes. It is a 1.8 liter car, but have an extra 2.7in the shed. Maybe the easy route is to slightly build the 1.8 and go?

thanks to all for the positive replies
+Quote Post
shag
post Nov 20 2020, 09:08 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 16,901

What ever you decide to do, enjoy yourself
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:36 AM