Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0 or more, Bigger is better
Bleyseng
post Nov 20 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #41

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

DWD is Dirk Wrights Disease which a true story from the 90’s. Dirk bought a 914 found a problem and took apart the dash to fix it which lead to the total disassembly of the car. Never put it back together either
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 21 2020, 05:36 AM
Post #42

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 20 2020, 09:24 PM) *

DWD is Dirk Wrights Disease which a true story from the 90’s. Dirk bought a 914 found a problem and took apart the dash to fix it which lead to the total disassembly of the car. Never put it back together either

Actually, Dirk Wright took apart his pedal box in a perfectly good, running 914 because it was squeaking. He found minor surface rust under the pedals, and that started the "While I am in there" chain. He sold the car after completely stripping it to a shell.

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 24 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Thanks to all, I brought the rusted hulk home Saturday and am scratching my head??? What have I gotten myself into now?? Rust on top of rust, but I was looking for a project. I have been reading several threads here but do not have a concrete plan yet. The specimen had been dis assembled about 30 years ago and stored in a garage since.

As far as the engine, a 2056 might be the lowest hanging fruit. It came with a 1.8 in several boxes. How hard can it be to get this mess together?
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 25 2020, 09:33 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 24 2020, 06:34 PM) *

Thanks to all, I brought the rusted hulk home Saturday and am scratching my head??? What have I gotten myself into now?? Rust on top of rust, but I was looking for a project. I have been reading several threads here but do not have a concrete plan yet. The specimen had been dis assembled about 30 years ago and stored in a garage since.

As far as the engine, a 2056 might be the lowest hanging fruit. It came with a 1.8 in several boxes. How hard can it be to get this mess together?

Do you REALLY want an honest answer to that question?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 25 2020, 09:38 AM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 25 2020, 11:48 AM
Post #46

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pics of the car!

Don't even worry about an engine right now. Fix the body first. Or if its bad enough decide its a parts car and buy a better roller.

Doing the engine first is
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/miro.medium.com-1435-1606326537.1.jpeg)

Zach
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 25 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2020, 10:38 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes, need to get my daughter to help me get pics from my camera onto the site.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 25 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2020, 01:49 PM) *

Attached Image Attached Image

Got it, from what I can tell this one is a fair candidate. The frunt and rear trunks are decent, longs with front and rear connections are required as well as trailing arm mountings, ...... Yes, it's going to be an adventure
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 25 2020, 03:28 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2020, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2020, 01:49 PM) *

Attached Image Attached Image

Got it, from what I can tell this one is a fair candidate. The frunt and rear trunks are decent, longs with front and rear connections are required as well as trailing arm mountings, ...... Yes, it's going to be an adventure

Attached Image

Is this whats known as the "hell hole", going to be a few hours in here
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 25 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

Whoah! You got a project on your hands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 25 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #51

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry but that’s a parts car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 25 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #52

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looks a lot like mine did when I started my project.

Not a parts car but definitely a PROJECT car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 25 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #53

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2020, 04:40 PM) *

Let's not forget the words of the legend @Jeff Hail

"I look at rust like a diamond in the rough. Rust is afraid of me because it know's it cannot live in my world. Metal becomes submissive because I have confidence in my metal working talents."

Required reading for our newest member of the rust don't scrare me club:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76791

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 25 2020, 04:54 PM) *

Not a parts car but definitely a PROJECT car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Indeed!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 25 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2020, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2020, 04:40 PM) *

Let's not forget the words of the legend @Jeff Hail

"I look at rust like a diamond in the rough. Rust is afraid of me because it know's it cannot live in my world. Metal becomes submissive because I have confidence in my metal working talents."

Required reading for our newest member of the rust don't scrare me club:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76791

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 25 2020, 04:54 PM) *

Indeed!

I was looking for a project, guess I found one at least the price was right $0.00 It has been 30 years since I undertook something similar, but I ain't scared. Both trunks are good, but the entire center section will need attention (replacement). The way I see it is the rocker sections provide the beam to hold the front/rear of the car in alignment. It can get tricky at the front and rear connection points. Also, the suspension mounting points are critical. I have started cutting out small sections and forming new 20ga and welding with a Lincoln 140 MIG. For now I am working on a scissors lift, but will change to something different when it comes to structural work. I have read the thread by Jeff Hail "bringing out the dead"
There will be some trying times, but the reward is worth it.

Wishing all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 25 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2020, 05:44 PM) *

I was looking for a project, guess I found one at least the price was right $0.00 It has been 30 years since I undertook something similar, but I ain't scared. Both trunks are good, but the entire center section will need attention (replacement). The way I see it is the rocker sections provide the beam to hold the front/rear of the car in alignment. It can get tricky at the front and rear connection points. Also, the suspension mounting points are critical. I have started cutting out small sections and forming new 20ga and welding with a Lincoln 140 MIG. For now I am working on a scissors lift, but will change to something different when it comes to structural work. I have read the thread by Jeff Hail "bringing out the dead"
There will be some trying times, but the reward is worth it.

Wishing all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I hope you run a build thread to bring us along for the ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 26 2020, 06:32 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Yes, I found a way to get pics onto the site. Information is always good and I am more than happy to share the information gained with this adventure. Will be starting with small patches and move into the "tricky stuff". From what I can tell there is a mix of different gauges of sheet steel. I have ordered a few panels from Restoration Design and will be fooling with them.
My plan is to complete the restoration as close as possible to the original construction with regards to panels/overlap/welding.
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Nov 30 2020, 04:49 AM
Post #57

English Member

Member No.: 144

I'm following this thread with interest.

I have a 1976 which now has a 1.7 with FI and most of the horses have long galloped off.

I'm not sure which direction to go, but I'm really intrigued to follow up more on Bleysengs's post to rebuild it to 2056cc for $5K. Alternatively if anyone has a 2.0 engine for sale I'll be interested to hear from you too...

Oh, the car is solid. In line with the previous posts, attached is a photo of the rear trunk!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 30 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Yep, I am in for the journey now. Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

It has been a few years since I have undertaken an ambitious project as such. My wife claims there is a pill ....
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 2 2020, 05:59 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 30 2020, 01:14 PM) *

Yep, I am in for the journey now. Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

It has been a few years since I have undertaken an ambitious project as such. My wife claims there is a pill ....

Had a few hours in the shop today

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 2 2020, 06:58 AM
Post #60

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

wow, respect to you that you are so positive and optimistic about the project.
And the amount of time it will take.....and parts and money and blood, sweat, tears and excuses to buy new tools......
It will be an interesting post to follow to see how you progress.
At least you have a good lift so you are not down on your knees working away through the rust.
Good luck !!!!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:16 PM