Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starter motor issues
914nb
post Nov 22 2020, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,569
Region Association: England

I took my starter from the car today to identify a non starting issue, after a doak with some electrical contact cleaner i managed to get the gear firing out but the starter fails to turn- does anyone know of a fix for this?

Also id like to identify the correct part number for the starter that should be fitted to a 1971 1.7 car if anyone has this information?

Many thanks,

Nathan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rlotesta
post Nov 22 2020, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,282
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914nb @ Nov 22 2020, 12:02 PM) *

I took my starter from the car today to identify a non starting issue, after a doak with some electrical contact cleaner i managed to get the gear firing out but the starter fails to turn- does anyone know of a fix for this?

Also id like to identify the correct part number for the starter that should be fitted to a 1971 1.7 car if anyone has this information?

Many thanks,

Nathan

The issue could be the motor wiring which is shorting out. Rebuild starters do not replace the motor wiring. Stoddard provides new starters which are made in the UK. Not cheep but you have everything new.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 22 2020, 11:39 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Have it rebuilt by a local shop. Usually $75-100

Disappointing since it worked for me but I know these cars don’t like to sit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914nb
post Nov 22 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #4

I don't know if swapping the solenoid would fix it- not that clued up on things like that.

The problem is that automatic aircooled vws and 914s are quite a rate thing here so parts aren't so easy to come by as manual car parts
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Nov 22 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Having recent experience, perhaps I can assist?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=349483

Do you have the assembly on a bench?

When you apply 12VDC (you will need about 5-10 amps for this test) does the solenoid SNAP and the gear on the motor extend? If yes then 1/2 of the Solenoid is working.

The next test will determine if the solenoid CROSS-BAR is moving voltage from the solenoid to the Starter Motor. (this is the second part of the solenoids job)

Attached a VOM to the terminal that has the big heavy copper stranded cable attached to it. If there is 12Vdc there when the solenoid is powered and snaps the gear extension into position then the solenoid is acting correctly. The problem is in the motor.

If there is NO voltage at the terminal connected to the motor, then the cross bar within the solenoid is fried, this can be fixed, though most people get new solenoids.

The next step is to take the starter motor apart - not as scary as it sounds.
+Quote Post
914nb
post Nov 22 2020, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Hi,

Yes I have it in my vice.

Basically it fires out the starter ring and that is it, it doesn't retract back and the motor doesn't turn at all.

I just used my jumper leads from a fully charged battery to the housing and the live terminals.

I gave up at that point as my positive thinking day and plan to start the car ended up with a faulty starter and 4 leaking injectors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Nathan
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:40 AM