Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter motor issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nb
I took my starter from the car today to identify a non starting issue, after a doak with some electrical contact cleaner i managed to get the gear firing out but the starter fails to turn- does anyone know of a fix for this?

Also id like to identify the correct part number for the starter that should be fitted to a 1971 1.7 car if anyone has this information?

Many thanks,

Nathan
rlotesta
QUOTE(914nb @ Nov 22 2020, 12:02 PM) *

I took my starter from the car today to identify a non starting issue, after a doak with some electrical contact cleaner i managed to get the gear firing out but the starter fails to turn- does anyone know of a fix for this?

Also id like to identify the correct part number for the starter that should be fitted to a 1971 1.7 car if anyone has this information?

Many thanks,

Nathan

The issue could be the motor wiring which is shorting out. Rebuild starters do not replace the motor wiring. Stoddard provides new starters which are made in the UK. Not cheep but you have everything new.
mepstein
Have it rebuilt by a local shop. Usually $75-100

Disappointing since it worked for me but I know these cars don’t like to sit.
914nb
I don't know if swapping the solenoid would fix it- not that clued up on things like that.

The problem is that automatic aircooled vws and 914s are quite a rate thing here so parts aren't so easy to come by as manual car parts
ctc911ctc
Having recent experience, perhaps I can assist?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=349483

Do you have the assembly on a bench?

When you apply 12VDC (you will need about 5-10 amps for this test) does the solenoid SNAP and the gear on the motor extend? If yes then 1/2 of the Solenoid is working.

The next test will determine if the solenoid CROSS-BAR is moving voltage from the solenoid to the Starter Motor. (this is the second part of the solenoids job)

Attached a VOM to the terminal that has the big heavy copper stranded cable attached to it. If there is 12Vdc there when the solenoid is powered and snaps the gear extension into position then the solenoid is acting correctly. The problem is in the motor.

If there is NO voltage at the terminal connected to the motor, then the cross bar within the solenoid is fried, this can be fixed, though most people get new solenoids.

The next step is to take the starter motor apart - not as scary as it sounds.
914nb
Hi,

Yes I have it in my vice.

Basically it fires out the starter ring and that is it, it doesn't retract back and the motor doesn't turn at all.

I just used my jumper leads from a fully charged battery to the housing and the live terminals.

I gave up at that point as my positive thinking day and plan to start the car ended up with a faulty starter and 4 leaking injectors sad.gif

Nathan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.