Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phrustrated in Phoenix, shifting woes
orangecrate
post Nov 25 2020, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,394
Region Association: Southwest Region

Finally got the mistress to the point were I feel reasonably safe taking her on the freeway. vroom vroom Up to threw the gears to ----- no 5th !!!!! arg Back to the garage. A little reading, a linkage adjustment. Presto! 5th gear ----- and a shifter that wants to go from 1st to 4th!!! Worked fine before!!! Before you askl , all the linkage bushings are BRAND NEW. Less than a month old, slathered in antisieze. And my adjustment was only sliding the connection maybe an 1/8 of an inch ,essentially shortening it by that much.
I've owned this car 15? yrs. It was my daily for awhile before it started acting like a finicky woman. I am aware of the "vagueness" of the 914 shifter. It's a 72. Tail shifter.
What am I missing here? The trans has been apart some time ago. The beginning of the frustration. My son,(a factory trained Porsche Tech) replaced a main bearing in the trans that literally fell apart. The plastic cage gave up the ghost. Could this be something he missed? It was his first teener trans. But he's not a shade tree mech like me.
I really don't want to pull the trans AGAIN. I'm hoping it is some sort of adjustment thing I missed. I have rotated the shaft a spline or 2 at the connection because I was getting a lot of grinding going into 1st and that helped, as did the new bushings. ( ya think???they were trashed) . And the ball connection behind the bulkhead is new too. What am I missing???? Everything worked fine before I shortened the linkage. I had just never driven it anywhere I need 5th because of a lot of other things falling apart. Hell I've hardly driven it all for the past 10 yrs. I was elated to hit 80 with the top off again. THanks in advance for your help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Nov 25 2020, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Whoever foxed my mistake in posting ,Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Nov 26 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #3

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302

if you get if fixed drive it down one hour and visit me in Arizona city, NO 914s down here.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Nov 26 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The Tangerine precision shift kit is helpful for getting those final adjustments. Also, make sure to mark a reference point (white out) once you are close. Makes it easier to remember which way and how far you are adjusting.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 27 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

If your bushings are new it REALLY tightens things up.
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Nov 27 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 27 2020, 02:21 PM) *

If your bushings are new it REALLY tightens things up.
Ummm yah.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Nov 28 2020, 09:21 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

I guess there could be an internal gearbox problem but it sounds like to me that you are close, just need that very last final tweak.

Keep track of where you are (mark the current position) and make very small adjustments ( one spline +/-). The correct spot is in there somewhere, just gotta find it!

Good luck, be persistent
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Nov 28 2020, 10:08 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Nov 28 2020, 07:21 AM) *

I guess there could be an internal gearbox problem but it sounds like to me that you are close, just need that very last final tweak.

Keep track of where you are (mark the current position) and make very small adjustments ( one spline +/-). The correct spot is in there somewhere, just gotta find it!

Good luck, be persistent
Thanks. It was close. Fartin around with the rear , had the connection loose ,and the damn thing fell apart!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) arg Back to zero!! or maybe -4.
Gotten too used to american junk. Throw it in, drive it. About as subtle as a sledgehammer.
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Nov 28 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #9

VICTORY. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I had forgotten how delicate European cars are. Got the linkage adjusted finally. all 5 gears and it goes into second instead of 4th!!!! Yeaaa!! Thanks for the encouraging words. Had to get in a different mindset.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:21 PM