Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Differences between early/late front and rear calipers?
macnichol
post Dec 3 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,372
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Why aren't these interchangeable with each other? I'm trying to source new calipers for my early car and I'm finding that they aren't the easiest thing to find at a good price. Rock auto has the late calipers for a great price, why aren't they usable on my early car? Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 3 2020, 07:27 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

First up go to the Classic Section and read up on brakes. Now to make it simple. 70-72 1/2 used VW Type 3 calipers. Midway through 72 they Switched to Type 4 VW calipers. Type 4 calipers are interchangeable to either side with two bleeders. You simply rotate the piston for which side you need them on. The offset of the calipers is different making the rotors different. The rears are all the same size but with different internal adjusters. Late ones have extra bleeders.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 3 2020, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

For all your brake needs, simply contact @Eric_Shea at PMB Performance, or online. Brake restoration guru. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 4 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) about contacting Eric.

To swap early to late calipers on the front, you have to update the rotor like Mark said and also the short brake line connection going into the caliper.

I know this because I have an April 73 car that was built during the transition of early to late parts. It has an early brake pressure regulator with early brake line setup but late front calipers so I had to swap out that last connection when I replaced all the brake lines. My car also came with one early and one late rear caliper which are now both late calipers thanks to a mishap having them plated and Eric and a couple members here stepping in to bail me out. So yeah, the rears are completely interchangeable.
+Quote Post
wbgoggans
post Dec 4 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,167
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 09:40 AM) *

To swap early to late calipers on the front, you have to update the rotor like Mark said and also the short brake line connection going into the caliper.

I know this because I have an April 73 car that was built during the transition of early to late parts. It has an early brake pressure regulator with early brake line setup but late front calipers so I had to swap out that last connection when I replaced all the brake lines. My car also came with one early and one late rear caliper which are now both late calipers thanks to a mishap having them plated and Eric and a couple members here stepping in to bail me out. So yeah, the rears are completely interchangeable.

what's your chassis #?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 4 2020, 01:25 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Dec 4 2020, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 09:40 AM) *

what's your chassis #?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:20 AM