Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences between early/late front and rear calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
macnichol
Why aren't these interchangeable with each other? I'm trying to source new calipers for my early car and I'm finding that they aren't the easiest thing to find at a good price. Rock auto has the late calipers for a great price, why aren't they usable on my early car? Thanks
914Sixer
First up go to the Classic Section and read up on brakes. Now to make it simple. 70-72 1/2 used VW Type 3 calipers. Midway through 72 they Switched to Type 4 VW calipers. Type 4 calipers are interchangeable to either side with two bleeders. You simply rotate the piston for which side you need them on. The offset of the calipers is different making the rotors different. The rears are all the same size but with different internal adjusters. Late ones have extra bleeders.
Montreal914
For all your brake needs, simply contact @Eric_Shea at PMB Performance, or online. Brake restoration guru. smile.gif
bbrock
agree.gif about contacting Eric.

To swap early to late calipers on the front, you have to update the rotor like Mark said and also the short brake line connection going into the caliper.

I know this because I have an April 73 car that was built during the transition of early to late parts. It has an early brake pressure regulator with early brake line setup but late front calipers so I had to swap out that last connection when I replaced all the brake lines. My car also came with one early and one late rear caliper which are now both late calipers thanks to a mishap having them plated and Eric and a couple members here stepping in to bail me out. So yeah, the rears are completely interchangeable.
wbgoggans
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 09:40 AM) *

To swap early to late calipers on the front, you have to update the rotor like Mark said and also the short brake line connection going into the caliper.

I know this because I have an April 73 car that was built during the transition of early to late parts. It has an early brake pressure regulator with early brake line setup but late front calipers so I had to swap out that last connection when I replaced all the brake lines. My car also came with one early and one late rear caliper which are now both late calipers thanks to a mishap having them plated and Eric and a couple members here stepping in to bail me out. So yeah, the rears are completely interchangeable.

what's your chassis #?
bbrock
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Dec 4 2020, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 09:40 AM) *

what's your chassis #?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.