Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cv axles, -how much cv joint play is acceptable?
MM1
post Dec 4 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #21

914 obsession continues

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2020, 01:54 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) & those (Jbugs link) still wont work until machined as they havent the larger reliefs for locating roll pins regardless of the gasket

Thank you for clearing that up, Rich.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 4 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #22

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 02:38 PM) *

And just a little more background that I've deduced from trying to figure this out. Many years ago, Porsche superseded the part number for 914/4 axle assemblies to the 914/6 # and discontinued the 914/4 cv joint. For years we wondered why Porsche offered complete axle assemblies but not just the joints. About 2 years ago some genius apparently decided to offer just the joints without researching why they were discontinued so now when you search on the 914/4 cv joint part #, you get a hit and a pretty reasonable price for the joints. You get all excited until they arrive and you try to slip them on your axles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .

Critical stuff @bbrock - thanks . . .Pelican should be able to clarify this before one purchases - right? Let's see if someone tries them . . .
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 4 2020, 09:04 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 4 2020, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2020, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 3 2020, 08:12 PM) *
Original Porsche 914 CVs are available again. I got them by special order through Pelican.
Details?

@bkrantz

Have you assembled yet & did they fit 914/4 axle stubs?

I know there was some go around a while back where @bbrock ordered some from Sunset Porsche and the splines are for 914/6 axle stubs.

Not yet. I have been out of town too much but will check next week.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 4 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #24

914 obsession continues

Yay! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 4 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

Pinging @76-914 here. He's the one who first discovered the spline problem with the Porsche joints.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 4 2020, 11:21 PM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

It's just as you stated earlier, Brock. They won't match up to your half shafts splines if your car is a 4 banger. They're splines are for the -6 CV's. I'd get the CV's from PMB coming in January. It wouldn't matter one iota if you used 6 bolts instead of 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 5 2020, 02:03 AM
Post #27

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2020, 09:21 PM) *
It wouldn't matter one iota if you used 6 bolts instead of 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Only there is no provision on the stub axle's or output flanges for 6 bolts... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 5 2020, 11:23 AM
Post #28

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 5 2020, 12:21 AM) *

It's just as you stated earlier, Brock. They won't match up to your half shafts splines if your car is a 4 banger. They're splines are for the -6 CV's. I'd get the CV's from PMB coming in January. It wouldn't matter one iota if you used 6 bolts instead of 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

What's the word on cv's from PMB coming in January?

How will they be different from the GKN/Loebro machined for gasket version that Eric sells now?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 5 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 5 2020, 10:23 AM) *

How will they be different from the GKN/Loebro machined for gasket version that Eric sells now?

@Eric_Shea
I'm interested in this too. I have a pair that have a bit of wear that I'd rather use than machined Type1 joints, but if there is something better, I might hold off repacking this pair that I was planning to do tomorrow.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 5 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2020, 10:21 PM) *

I am still not home to confirm, but here is the listing at Pelican. They specify this CV is for the 914-4.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9143...&DID=168624
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 5 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 5 2020, 07:34 PM) *

I am still not home to confirm, but here is the listing at Pelican. They specify this CV is for the 914-4.

Well that's interesting. Keeping fingers crossed for what you find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 7 2020, 01:54 AM
Post #32

914 obsession continues

Is it ok to use lubro-moly cv grease for the front wheel bearings?

Or do you all prefer something else?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 9 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #33

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 04:52 PM) *

@Eric_Shea
I'm interested in this too. I have a pair that have a bit of wear that I'd rather use than machined Type1 joints, but if there is something better, I might hold off repacking this pair that I was planning to do tomorrow.

Same as we've been selling (GKN/Loebro ONLY) just having the next batch machined for the roll pins and gaskets. Exact same specs as the original. Same spline count. Same ball. Same cage. Same manufacturer. Remember... el Cheapo aftermarket stuff hyper-extends and cracks cages. Don't think you'll ever be in that situation? Ever roll out of a sharp driveway apron and lay on the gas to get into traffic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 9 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #34

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2020, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 04:52 PM) *

@Eric_Shea

Same as we've been selling (GKN/Loebro ONLY) just having the next batch machined for the roll pins and gaskets. Exact same specs as the original. Same spline count. Same ball. Same cage. Same manufacturer. Remember... el Cheapo aftermarket stuff hyper-extends and cracks cages. Don't think you'll ever be in that situation? Ever roll out of a sharp driveway apron and lay on the gas to get into traffic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks, Eric - I need one!
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 10 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 5 2020, 07:34 PM) *

Well that's interesting. Keeping fingers crossed for what you find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Not good news. Although the boxes are marked with 914-4 and part number 914 332 029 03 (which should be correct for 914-4) the CV inner has 25 splines, not the required 33 splines. I contacted Pelican and they are checking with the supplier (which was supposed to be Porsche). The CVs I got are GKN.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 10 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #36

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 10 2020, 09:36 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

What's irritating is that by this point Porsche should be aware of the problem and correct it. We know of at least two prior sets that came from Porsche and were returned for the same reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 11 2020, 01:56 AM
Post #38

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 10 2020, 10:36 PM) *

What's irritating is that by this point Porsche should be aware of the problem and correct it. We know of at least two prior sets that came from Porsche and were returned for the same reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Grrrrrr (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Dec 11 2020, 03:26 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Its a pity Porsche almost tripled the price on the complete driveshafts since they were announced, I think they were $300 or similar at first, apprently they sold too well because now its closer to 900 each. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 11 2020, 07:03 AM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 10 2020, 10:36 PM) *

@bbrock

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) As if they care. Same for Pelican.

For anyone not aware, Pelican was sold serveral years back to ECS Tuning, LLC. with a varied history. So Pelican isn't the old Pelican that some us used to know and love.

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-sc...ng-a-1827474482

I'll get my CV parts from PMB - I know Eric cares and works to serve the 914 community!

At this stage in the game, I'd be surprised if anyone in the Porsche Classic supply chain even knows what a CV joint is, what the spline count is, or why it matters.

Service parts for vintage cars as old as ours are probably managed for Porsche by contract relationship with 3rd party. At best, maybe, by someone within Porsche that might have minimal knowlege of automobiles but is good at supply chain managment, inventory managment, and obtaining cost reductions out of the supply base. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Back when most OEM's actually sold manual transmissions, I kid you not, I'm aware of a case where the design & release engineer for the manual transmission shift levers could not even drive a manual transmission vehicle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif). I know becuase I finally tauaght her how to drive a manual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

It's that bad!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 10:35 PM