Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My first 914
Jamie
post Dec 8 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 8 2020, 03:00 PM) *

That car prit-near purrrrfect!

the missing photos of the longs and hell hole will really tell the condition, but so far this car looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 8 2020, 11:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 6 2020, 03:05 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Congratulations on your 914 purchase. Of course.....it didn't happen without pictures.

42K miles? These cars only had a 5 digit odometer from the factory so when they hit 99,999 they rolled over to 0. A lot of these cars have been advertised over the years with "only" xx,xxx original miles. Your car may be a true extremely low mileage car, but the truth will reveal itself by overall condition. A super low mileage car should still look like it just left the factory and was not driven a lot. Steering wheel, pedal pads, seats, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Regardless of the mileage, if it is a complete car you are ahead of the game. Enjoy and take advantage of the outstanding people here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
If cheap enough looks like a good car but as mentioned I tend to think its not a 42k miles car due to wear on the drivers seat,but certainly a good foundation for a resto,good luck.
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 9 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #23

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Best of luck on your journey! You'll find the best "tour guides" here . . .
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Dec 9 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

Your passenger seat makes me think you have a very late 1970 that had a birth date change before sale... (Who cares? Nobody here...) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Nice ride!! Congratulations...

(Check the age of tires.... Don't use old rubbers)

P (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 9 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,266

QUOTE(maj75 @ Dec 8 2020, 02:41 PM) *

Here are pictures I got today. Although Orange is the original color, the exterior has been painted. Otherwise just as I thought.

Nice little motor there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
racer914
post Dec 9 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 23,513
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 8 2021, 12:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 24,317

Attached Image

Engine out, looks as good as advertised in here.
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 8 2021, 01:55 PM
Post #28

Engine and transmission are out. I’d post pictures but can’t. This site is awesome but I can’t figure out how people have threads with a million pictures and I can’t post any more. I’ve never had this issue with any other site.

Anyway, by chance I went to a local VW shop looking for recommendations for engine work for my type IV. Sitting on the floor were several engines. One of them was a complete 911SC dropout. I spoke to the owner and asked him about the motor. He said he got it to install in VW bus, but the bus got sold before he started the project. He got a 914 do do the swap, but sold the 914. I told him he would get his chance to do the swap.

So I’m jumping into the deep end of the 914-6 pool. I don’t want to do a GT conversion, just a narrow body 914-6. I need a flywheel to mate the 3.0 to a 901, Oil tank and lines, mounts and engine compartment tin.

The 911 motor has the stock fuel injection set-up but I’m thinking about carbs unless there is a compelling reason to retain the CIS.
+Quote Post
djway
post Jan 8 2021, 02:18 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 19,266

If you post the pictures from your phone usually gives you the option of picture size. Choose one of the smaller ones and you can get a lot of pictures in. I haven’t figured it out on my computer yet. Knowing many people with carbs and fuel injection I would say fuel injection. Unless you want to spend a lot of time under the hood trying to balance those carbs.
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 8 2021, 02:29 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Beeliner @ Dec 9 2020, 01:07 PM) *

Your passenger seat makes me think you have a very late 1970 that had a birth date change before sale... (Who cares? Nobody here...) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Nice ride!! Congratulations...

(Check the age of tires.... Don't use old rubbers)

P (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Pretty sure the serial number is for a ‘71. Don’t know why you would think it’s a “late ‘70”
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 8 2021, 02:38 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(djway @ Jan 8 2021, 03:18 PM) *

If you post the pictures from your phone usually gives you the option of picture size. Choose one of the smaller ones and you can get a lot of pictures in. I haven’t figured it out on my computer yet. Knowing many people with carbs and fuel injection I would say fuel injection. Unless you want to spend a lot of time under the hood trying to balance those carbs.

I’ve tried emailing them to my phone and posting from there, but it doesn’t give me that option. All my photos are posted over on Rennlist without a problem.

In my experience, and I’m old, old FI is less reliable than old carbs. Carbs can be bought new, good luck with a “new” CIS. Carbs can be rebuilt much cheaper and easier than the CIS. Since the 914/6 wasn’t FI, I’d kind of like to keep the factory look. From my limited research, the CIS doesn’t fit well with the factory latches and engine cover.

There are several local tuners experienced with Porsche carbed flat sixes so I’m not overly concerned about tuning. From what I know, the carbs don’t require constant fiddling. Once they are properly set-up, they will work for a long time.
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 8 2021, 02:41 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 9 2020, 12:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 6 2020, 03:05 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Congratulations on your 914 purchase. Of course.....it didn't happen without pictures.

42K miles? These cars only had a 5 digit odometer from the factory so when they hit 99,999 they rolled over to 0. A lot of these cars have been advertised over the years with "only" xx,xxx original miles. Your car may be a true extremely low mileage car, but the truth will reveal itself by overall condition. A super low mileage car should still look like it just left the factory and was not driven a lot. Steering wheel, pedal pads, seats, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Regardless of the mileage, if it is a complete car you are ahead of the game. Enjoy and take advantage of the outstanding people here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
If cheap enough looks like a good car but as mentioned I tend to think its not a 42k miles car due to wear on the drivers seat,but certainly a good foundation for a resto,good luck.

Appreciate your thoughts but I have the paperwork verifying low miles and it isn’t wear it is desert air drying out everything. The vinyl is hard and brittle. It breaks when you put any pressure on it. The trade off for having a solid body.
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Jan 8 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) You've come to the right place.

Konrad
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 8 2021, 05:36 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 8 2021, 03:38 PM) *

I’ve tried emailing them to my phone and posting from there, but it doesn’t give me that option. All my photos are posted over on Rennlist without a problem.

In my experience, and I’m old, old FI is less reliable than old carbs. Carbs can be bought new, good luck with a “new” CIS. Carbs can be rebuilt much cheaper and easier than the CIS. Since the 914/6 wasn’t FI, I’d kind of like to keep the factory look. From my limited research, the CIS doesn’t fit well with the factory latches and engine cover.

There are several local tuners experienced with Porsche carbed flat sixes so I’m not overly concerned about tuning. From what I know, the carbs don’t require constant fiddling. Once they are properly set-up, they will work for a long time.

Welcome aboard, you will find the folks here very helpful.

I'm an old guy too, not retired (yet) but close and also have 50 or so years of several 356's, 911's, Alfa spider's, ... and my first 914. The example in my garage is a rustout, but I was looking for a project and having fun with fabricating/fitting/welding new 18 gauge metal. What are your plans for an engine?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 8 2021, 07:13 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 8 2021, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 8 2021, 03:38 PM) *

Welcome aboard, you will find the folks here very helpful.

I'm an old guy too, not retired (yet) but close and also have 50 or so years of several 356's, 911's, Alfa spider's, ... and my first 914. The example in my garage is a rustout, but I was looking for a project and having fun with fabricating/fitting/welding new 18 gauge metal. What are your plans for an engine?

I have a 911SC motor lined up. It’s a complete drop-out with the 911 motor mounts and tin. Has the factory CIS injection system. I’m considering the options for induction, carb or factory FI.
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 19 2021, 04:43 PM
Post #36

Hell hole area, cleaned up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 19 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #37

All my pictures of the car can be seen in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-6-forum...-914-today.html
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 26 2021, 05:53 PM
Post #38

Picture of the hell hole.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
maj75
post Jan 26 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #39

Picture of what’s going into the engine compartment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

3.0 911 motor, complete with CIS system. (Since I can’t post more than 1 damn picture a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) )
+Quote Post
messick
post Jan 26 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 24,381

QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 8 2021, 11:55 AM) *

Engine and transmission are out. I’d post pictures but can’t. This site is awesome but I can’t figure out how people have threads with a million pictures and I can’t post any more. I’ve never had this issue with any other site.

You need to host the images somewhere else. The software 914World is based on comes from a time where allowing unlimited images might cost you real money.

I use Imgur. That link goes to a help page that can get you started.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:49 AM