Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vented Rotor Stock Strut, Yes it all bolts on
djway
post Dec 29 2020, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

It was suggested I make this a stand alone thread so here it is. This will work for 4 or 5 lug wheels.
Parts
07,08 cayman, 05-08 boxster 2.7L (non-S) rotors.
298x24 front
299x20 rear.
Calipers 97-08 Boxster
07-08 Cayman
Adapter mount for rear caliper. Re-drilled rear hub or the soon to be released 5lug hub from URO. If you want to keep 4 lug have the Boxster rotor drilled.
Front hub that goes right onto the stock strut and can use 4 or 5 lug wheel. Front rotor mount adapter.
I have not tried but am told 15” alloy works.
Rear
Attached Image
Front
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Once the URO rear hub is available (announced Nov 2020) this entire upgrade to Boxster brakes with 5 lug will be an off the shelf bolt on affair.
edit I believe it can be done for both early and late struts. the struts shown are late which was harder to work out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Dec 29 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #2

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

Who makes the adapter?
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 29 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 29 2020, 07:51 PM) *

Who makes the adapter?

I Worked with VDUBENGINEERING, Lanner Khan.
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 29 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #4

For you early strut guys the Sebro vented rotor for ball joint T3, Bugs, Ghias goes right on. Downside is that it is the rotor hub combo and any damage requires you ship another over from the Old World (expensive) as I have yet to find anyone that imports them. You can get 4 or 5 lug and cross drilled. I never got to the point of figuring out which exact caliper to use but I was leaning toward the vented BMW 320 and vented Volvo. it was not that hard to swap the pinch bolt for the friction fit ball joint. Did have to source bent strut tubes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
edit: early struts can be fitted with other caliper adapters from VDUBENGINEERING and hub above. Late struts pictured above.
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 25,031
Region Association: None

Hi guys,

My name is Lanner. I built this setup. It uses new iron hubs with radial brackets for use with stock 914 spindles. Bearings and wheel seals are stock 914 and it's bolt on. It's a good option that doesn't require swapping out to 911 suspension. Please let me know if you have any questions about the setup.
Thanks
Lanner
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 30 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,023

Thank you for posting.

This will get a lot of attention I think but will require a lot more pictures and description (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

No mention about the emergency brake. Can the early 911 setup be added?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Edit; thank you for the additional pictures.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
preach
post Dec 30 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

Very cool!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 30 2020, 12:56 PM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Lanner @ Dec 30 2020, 01:18 PM) *

Hi guys,

My name is Lanner. I built this setup. It uses new iron hubs with radial brackets for use with stock 914 spindles. Bearings and wheel seals are stock 914 and it's bolt on. It's a good option that doesn't require swapping out to 911 suspension. Please let me know if you have any questions about the setup.
Thanks
Lanner
Attached Image

i do have a couple questions, since i have 5-lug fuchs(16") , but used the stock rotor and brakes in front with the rotor redrilled and new lugs pressed into the rotor, so currently i have all stock set up, but i do have 19mm 911 master cylinder, so my question is this: for my front if i converted over to this set up , what would i require? The boxster caliper and rotor, and the hub and spacer mounting blocks, is that it? and then source the new studs?(i want to use nuts not lug bolts)
@Lanner @djway

also fyi i have 914/6 5 lug hubs on rear so just using the stock caliper with stock 4 lug solid rotor drilled for 5 lug(PMB), so for rear i would just maintain my current set up , or, if i wanted the rear boxster caliper would i just get the new rotor and caliper and mount with adaptor block? seems the new rotor would just slide right on my current rear hub but new caliper with spacer would be required, OR a 914-6 or M caliper could be used too?
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #9

Djway has been a great help, measuring things for me and even sending me a strut to work with. I build custom brake setups for mainly the vw and Porsche 944 crowd, but I have worked on alot of different platforms. I didn't have a 914 to mockup on, so DJway sent me a spindle and has been of great help in getting this setup done.

As built, this setup has no parking brake. I could probably adapt a 911 or 944 style drum in disk setup, but would need a trailing arm to work with. Current rear setup is just a set of radial adapters for use with stock 914 rear hubs, either stock or redrilled to 5-bolt.

Here is a mockup pic of the front setup. Let me know if there is something specific you'd like to see. I can build the front (hubs and brackets) for about $550.

Thanks Lanner
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 30 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Lanner @ Dec 30 2020, 02:04 PM) *

Djway has been a great help, measuring things for me and even sending me a strut to work with. I build custom brake setups for mainly the vw and Porsche 944 crowd, but I have worked on alot of different platforms. I didn't have a 914 to mockup on, so DJway sent me a spindle and has been of great help in getting this setup done.

As built, this setup has no parking brake. I could probably adapt a 911 or 944 style drum in disk setup, but would need a trailing arm to work with. Current rear setup is just a set of radial adapters for use with stock 914 rear hubs, either stock or redrilled to 5-bolt.

Here is a mockup pic of the front setup. Let me know if there is something specific you'd like to see. I can build the front (hubs and brackets) for about $550.

Thanks Lanner
Attached Image

Great, thanks for the quick reply. rear is just add the radial adaptor and source the rotor and caliper. for front, source rotor and caliper and lugs/studs to be installed into the hub you supply along with the spacer for caliper mounting.

why wouldnt the S caliper work? is mount spacing different, or rotor size, or is it just the clearance with the rim, because i have 16" fuchs so while 15's may not clear, the 16's should , yes?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 30 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 30 2020, 01:56 PM) *

Hi guys,

Thanks
Lanner
Attached Image

i do have a couple questions, since i have 5-lug fuchs(16") , but used the stock rotor and brakes in front with the rotor redrilled and new lugs pressed into the rotor, so currently i have all stock set up, but i do have 19mm 911 master cylinder, so my question is this: for my front if i converted over to this set up , what would i require? The boxster caliper and rotor, and the hub and spacer mounting blocks, is that it? and then source the new studs?(i want to use nuts not lug bolts)
@Lanner @djway

also fyi i have 914/6 5 lug hubs on rear so just using the stock caliper with stock 4 lug solid rotor drilled for 5 lug(PMB), so for rear i would just maintain my current set up , or, if i wanted the rear boxster caliper would i just get the new rotor and caliper and mount with adaptor block? seems the new rotor would just slide right on my current rear hub but new caliper with spacer would be required, OR a 914-6 or M caliper could be used too?

Phillip - this looks like a great solution for putting big brakes on a car but I would hesitate to say it’s the solution for every car. I would put a Carrera rotor next to your stock rotor and check the weight difference then X 4 for the car. Adding pounds of unsprung weight to a narrow body four will affect acceleration and handling. Everything is a trade off and it really depends what you are trying to achieve.

We did the Boxster caliper, Carrera rotor upgrade on a lot of 911’s that got 3.2 or 3.6 engines. It’s a nice upgrade from M calipers.

S calipers have 3.5” spacing and are different from Boxster caliper spacing.
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #12

Dr Phil,

Correct on front setup. You need the hubs and brackets. You can get some nice screw in studs from BMW shops or 034 motorsports.

Correct on rear setup, you'd just need the radial adapters. The 914 hub will accommodate the Cayman caliper without any work. Note you lose the parking brake.

I have this setup on my car (vw) with 19mm master and works well. It's been on there for over a decade. I'd suggest maybe a slightly bigger master (20.6) if you want a really tall pedal , but I've left good enough alone.

On 16 fuchs the calipers need a little massaging, and maybe a slight spacer 5mm unless you have the 951 Fuchs. Pic of massaging here:
Attached Image
In general you need 16" wheels. Some 15s fit (mainly the spare tire alloys such as 928/993 15" spare or 951 spare

Thanks
Lanner
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 01:29 PM
Post #13

Here's a VW I built on the same brake setup, 16*7/8 wheels. Yum
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 30 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #14

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2020, 02:19 PM) *

Hi guys,

Thanks
Lanner
Attached Image

@Lanner @djway

Phillip - this looks like a great solution for putting big brakes on a car but I would hesitate to say it’s the solution for every car. I would put a Carrera rotor next to your stock rotor and check the weight difference then X 4 for the car. Adding pounds of unsprung weight to a narrow body four will affect acceleration and handling. Everything is a trade off and it really depends what you are trying to achieve.

We did the Boxster caliper, Carrera rotor upgrade on a lot of 911’s that got 3.2 or 3.6 engines. It’s a nice upgrade from M calipers.

QUOTE(Lanner @ Dec 30 2020, 02:23 PM) *

Dr Phil,

Correct on front setup. You need the hubs and brackets. You can get some nice screw in studs from BMW shops or 034 motorsports.

Correct on rear setup, you'd just need the radial adapters. The 914 hub will accommodate the Cayman caliper without any work. Note you lose the parking brake.

I have this setup on my car (vw) with 19mm master and works well. It's been on there for over a decade. I'd suggest maybe a slightly bigger master (20.6) if you want a really tall pedal , but I've left good enough alone.

On 16 fuchs the calipers need a little massaging, and maybe a slight spacer 5mm unless you have the 951 Fuchs. Pic of massaging here:
Attached Image
In general you need 16" wheels. Some 15s fit (mainly the spare tire alloys such as 928/993 15" spare or 951 spare

Thanks
Lanner

Mark, @mepstein , good point, there is a lot to consider before just jumping into this but exciting to see this is an option. maybe a better lower weight option is the alloy calipers that PMB has could work using this hub and adaptor, again, saving weight and not having to swap out the whole suspension for 911 when i already have good new other components.
Lanner, thanks for all the info and the pictures. i think you will get a lot of interest in this.

Phil
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 01:37 PM
Post #15

I agree mepstein, you are adding unsprung weight. It's all a tradeoff, so each vehicle has to be evaluated individually. This setup doesn have the advantage of large rotor diameter for brake torque and thermal capacity, without being too thick and heavy. Numbers below

Dr Phil, the S setup s too much imo. Here are the numbers

Cayman rotors 298*24F, 299*20R
BoxS 318*28F, 299*24R

Btw, the Carrera rotor (911) is 282*24F. I could probably make a rear adapter for a slightly smaller rotor such as a 944 rear 289*20 which would aid in fitment of 15" wheels. I've built such setups for vws with the Boxster caliper: (15*5.5 pictured)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 30 2020, 01:58 PM
Post #16

Super cool bug! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would be curious to know more on that car... Engine, trans, rear IRS I suppose, looks like a 68 or 69 with earlier front fender and bumpers? Fun stuff. I bet @Mark Henry would be curious too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
pete000
post Dec 30 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,094

Parking brake option...lol

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 02:32 PM
Post #18

@montreal914 , funny you should ask...are you in Montreal? That car is. 2332t1 EFI, built 091 trans, irs rear, a-arm front end, rack and pinion steering. It's a euro 71 iirc. Getting a turbo this winter..aiming for 300whp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 30 2020, 02:33 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 30 2020, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2020, 02:19 PM) *

Hi guys,

Thanks
Lanner
Attached Image

@Lanner @djway

QUOTE(Lanner @ Dec 30 2020, 02:23 PM) *

Dr Phil,

Attached Image

Thanks
Lanner

Mark, @mepstein , good point, there is a lot to consider before just jumping into this but exciting to see this is an option. maybe a better lower weight option is the alloy calipers that PMB has could work using this hub and adaptor, again, saving weight and not having to swap out the whole suspension for 911 when i already have good new other components.
Lanner, thanks for all the info and the pictures. i think you will get a lot of interest in this.

Phil

Maybe. These adaptors are for Boxster calipers, which I think are 3.75 spacing. S calipers are 3.5" and M/Alfa calipers are 3.0".
These adaptors look like a great product to provide a Boxster caliper solution on our stock cars but you are going to have to do your homework and not assume they will work in every situation.
I don't know if Boxster calipers will fit under/in 6x16 wheels.

Lanner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 30 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Lanner @ Dec 30 2020, 12:32 PM) *

@montreal914 , funny you should ask...are you in Montreal? That car is. 2332t1 EFI, built 091 trans, irs rear, a-arm front end, rack and pinion steering. It's a euro 71 iirc. Getting a turbo this winter..aiming for 300whp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Nice!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Actually moved to the greater Los Angeles area 11 years ago, where I bough my long awaited 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Beetles were my first 3 cars over the span of 7 years. I had a 1776cc with KG front disk brakes, lowered suspension, and 3/4" sway bars front ant rear. Lots of fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:41 PM