Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Vented Rotor Stock Strut, Yes it all bolts on
djway
post Dec 29 2020, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

It was suggested I make this a stand alone thread so here it is. This will work for 4 or 5 lug wheels.
Parts
07,08 cayman, 05-08 boxster 2.7L (non-S) rotors.
298x24 front
299x20 rear.
Calipers 97-08 Boxster
07-08 Cayman
Adapter mount for rear caliper. Re-drilled rear hub or the soon to be released 5lug hub from URO. If you want to keep 4 lug have the Boxster rotor drilled.
Front hub that goes right onto the stock strut and can use 4 or 5 lug wheel. Front rotor mount adapter.
I have not tried but am told 15” alloy works.
Rear
Attached Image
Front
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Once the URO rear hub is available (announced Nov 2020) this entire upgrade to Boxster brakes with 5 lug will be an off the shelf bolt on affair.
edit I believe it can be done for both early and late struts. the struts shown are late which was harder to work out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 28)
MM1
post Dec 30 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #21

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 30 2020, 03:28 PM) *

Parking brake option...lol

Yep-2 of those tanks might weigh a few pounds-at least it’s not unsprung!
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Dec 30 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 25,031
Region Association: None

The Boxster are 130mm radial mount. Most 911 is 89mm axial (3.5") and the 914 stuff is 76mm (3").

@mepstein , thanks for the welcome.

@montreal914 , I'm a big air-cooled fan. I've never had a teener but they're growing on me. Here's my half-year driver:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 30 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #23

I found Lanner through an insane VW Fastback build on the samba.
I first brought up the idea of adapting to the early struts because they are basically the same architecture as the type 3 and other VWs ball joint setup, and already done. I then got the idea to see if he could adapt to the later strut as the only change was the step back ears which I knew could be worked around after doing BMW front calipers.
I got some buggered up struts from Bruce Stone to add late model ball joints to early struts (before I found Lanner) I sent one to Lanner and in no time he figured it out. We even discussed bearing loads. He sent me pictures and I said “let’s do it.”
I found used calipers but you can purchase at local FLAPS. I found an amazing deal at Rock Auto on a complete set of 4 high carbon coated rotors with pads. I already had some studs. You need to select those based on wheel and any spacers you may use. Lanner supplies mounting hardware.
As for parking brake I will either use an inline hydraulic lock or one of the Wilwood cable operated units that welds onto the trailing arm. I think the lock plus leaving in gear should suffice for the majority of situations I may encounter.
The only downside I have found is that the screw holes to fix rotor to hub don’t line up on Boxster rotors to 914 hubs. I didn’t spend much time on that and I could be missing something.
I have started research on another project that I will have Lanner bring to life but it will be a bit yet.
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 30 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Lanner @ Dec 30 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Dr Phil,

Correct on front setup. You need the hubs and brackets. You can get some nice screw in studs from BMW shops or 034 motorsports.

Correct on rear setup, you'd just need the radial adapters. The 914 hub will accommodate the Cayman caliper without any work. Note you lose the parking brake.

I have this setup on my car (vw) with 19mm master and works well. It's been on there for over a decade. I'd suggest maybe a slightly bigger master (20.6) if you want a really tall pedal , but I've left good enough alone.

On 16 fuchs the calipers need a little massaging, and maybe a slight spacer 5mm unless you have the 951 Fuchs. Pic of massaging here:

In general you need 16" wheels. Some 15s fit (mainly the spare tire alloys such as 928/993 15" spare or 951 spare

Thanks

Lanner
@Lanner Are those calipers S or just repainted? Lanner your bug is awesome. I have loved the "German Look" for years. Every now and then I watch videos of Bugs with big T4 engines hunting Porsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 31 2020, 08:29 AM
Post #25

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 30 2020, 02:58 PM) *

Super cool bug! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would be curious to know more on that car... Engine, trans, rear IRS I suppose, looks like a 68 or 69 with earlier front fender and bumpers? Fun stuff. I bet @Mark Henry would be curious too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-25031-1609356470_thumb.jpg)

Don't know this bug, I have seen the silver bug. I've known of Lanner for some 20 years when he was out of Mississauga doing brake/wheel adapting for the GTA germanlook beetle crowd. I installed a weber carb cable linkage from Lanner last year and I've helped in doing a few wheel conversions using his parts, always top notch well thought out kit.
Lanner I've met you in passing at a few shows long time ago at the Jitter bug and maybe Haugen's. I have a blue '67 with a 2600cc T4 conversion.
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Jan 5 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #26

@djway , the pictured calipers are just repainted nonS.

@Mark Henry, thanks for the kind words. Yeah we have met in the past. I also have some vague memories of maybe coming by your place in early 2000s to look at a car you were selling....not exactly sure if that was you...it was in eastern ON so maybe. My mind is getting mush lol

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 7 2021, 06:39 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

@djway @Lanner - thank you guys for all of your hard work investigating this solution! I for one would definitely be interested in a front setup, but my goal would be to keep my 15" Empi-style rims. Not sure if there is a setup that would support that. The purpose for me is to increase the cooling efficiency on the front brakes by going vented. Aesthetics aren't important.
+Quote Post
djway
post Jan 7 2021, 09:28 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 7 2021, 04:39 PM) *

@djway @Lanner - thank you guys for all of your hard work investigating this solution! I for one would definitely be interested in a front setup, but my goal would be to keep my 15" Empi-style rims. Not sure if there is a setup that would support that. The purpose for me is to increase the cooling efficiency on the front brakes by going vented. Aesthetics aren't important.

I would guess that Lanners solution above or spacers would work.
+Quote Post
Lanner
post Feb 17 2021, 11:01 AM
Post #29

@ThePaintedMan . The hubs are dual pattern, so you could use 4*130mm wheels. Some clearance holes in the rotor would be required.

The 298 rotor will require a 16" wheel, but I could figure out a combination for you for 15" wheel if you're interested.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:40 AM