Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> looking for DE/AutoX suspension recommendations, building my 72 914 for street and DE/AutoX events
Michael.lescault1@gmail.com
post Jan 14 2021, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,073
Region Association: Southern California

Looking for recommendations on suspension set up for street and track use 914.

Rear;
looking at Koni "Yellow" adjustable shocks with coil over conversion or...QA1 double adjustable coil overs, or??

Lower swing arms; monoballs, or polygraphite bushings, or??

Already have installed aftermarket rear sway bar and polygraphite bushings

Front;

Lowered spindles good, or bad?

adjustable bump steer kit

Elephant racing poly bronze bushing kit, or polygraphite bushings, or??

Koni "Yellow" Sport strut inserts?

Also concerned about streetabaility/ride quality, so my wife will ride with me when street driving.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Michael.lescault1@gmail.com
post Jan 19 2021, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,073
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you both for your reply! I better back up a bit to give some perspective. I built a 67 911s about 10 years ago. Within a week of completion I took it out to Willow springs and participated in my first ever driver training event on the "Streets of Willow" course. I took first in class. I set that car up with polygraphite bushings front and rear. I kept the stock 13mm front sway bar and installed stock replacement Bilsteins front and rear. Also, I had custom made set of billet 17" x 7" wheels made and installed 226/45-17 Yokohama Tires. I also installed a set of pretty firm race bucket seats. The turn in is super sharp, the ride is super stiff and the bodywork nearly scrapes in hard turns.

Onto my 914 build. After getting the 911s build so wrong, I would like to get some help in parts selection so that I don't make the same mistakes again. I don't think I will ever be a competitive racer, and that is not my intent. I want to take my car out for auto cross and driver training fun events. I am building a twin turbo all aluminum V8 and installing big brakes. I want the car to have a very compliant ride on the street but, with sharp turn in and composed and confidence inspiring handling on track. I am fabbing major chassis stiffening and hidden roll cage to create a solid platform for the suspension components to work. I am running a 21mm front through the chassis sway bar and a smaller rear sway bar. Debating on polybronze front control arm bearings, or polygraphite bushings. Lowering the front spindles (how far?), on the struts with heim jointed bump steer? Koni adjustable front strut inserts or?? Monoballs on the strut towers or?? Rear polygraphite bushings or monoballs? Koni single adjustable shocks with coil over kit, or QA1 double adjustable coil over shocks. I will be running custom made 19" x 10" front wheels with 245/35 - 19 Pilot Sport 4 tires and 20" x 11 1/2" with 315/30 - 20 PS4 tires on the rear. As far a complying to the rules...I will be mostly safety focused because of the engine and suspension upgrades I will never be competative in the modified classes. I would rather go out for fun events and enjoy the ride via built in adjustability and properly selected components.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 02:48 PM