Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebuilding a 1.7, Want to rebuild my 1.7, need as much help as I can get
bbrock
post Jan 19 2021, 05:28 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 19 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Yeah I’ll be locked in for the most part but I don’t think I’ll mind it too much, loud isn’t terrible as long as it sounds good. Considering my project started as a literal cluttered rats nest I’d like to make it as clean looking as possible haha. Rock on, will keep updates on your thread!

Coolio! You are going in clear-eyed which is great. There was no 914World back when I was building mine so I was pretty ignorant. I still think Webers are cool. I just wish I'd have been better informed back then. Building that air intake to hopefully silence the damn things was a bit of a project but I think looks pretty bitchin' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Jan 19 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 24,976
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 19 2021, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 19 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Yeah I’ll be locked in for the most part but I don’t think I’ll mind it too much, loud isn’t terrible as long as it sounds good. Considering my project started as a literal cluttered rats nest I’d like to make it as clean looking as possible haha. Rock on, will keep updates on your thread!

Coolio! You are going in clear-eyed which is great. There was no 914World back when I was building mine so I was pretty ignorant. I still think Webers are cool. I just wish I'd have been better informed back then. Building that air intake to hopefully silence the damn things was a bit of a project but I think looks pretty bitchin' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

@bbrock yeah this is like having a 914 for dummies book to read everyday on this site, endless answers for questions I didn’t even know I had. I wish I had your fab skills, that came out really nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Jan 19 2021, 11:22 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jan 19 2021, 01:06 PM) *

BARNFIND, To answer your Question about carbs. When you install a "big" cam carb are a must . It is true that they are loud when sucking at full throttle but for me that's why I built a big engine. The reason you saw a single carb on the engine I have for sale is because it is on a test stand and it is easier to use one instead of having to install and balance Two.

@almeredith that’s how I feel about it, I want to hear it and enjoy it. Dual carbs will be the way I go I’m sold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
RestoReese
post Jan 20 2021, 04:43 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 23,256
Region Association: Southwest Region

So I am in the process of completing a restoration with my teenage son. I too am mechanically inclined by never rebuilt an engine from scratch. These engines are a breeze to dismantle and reassemble, although I didn't break open the case when I learned the engine on my 1971 only had 65k original miles. I know this because I had the alternator and starter motors rebuilt and the alternator was original and the brushes were only 1/2 worn.

I used this as a guide - http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/index01.html.

And make sure you take a lot of pictures before of every corner of the car and engine, tranny, etc. Don't think you are taking too many, more is better. Label every part and store them in containers by category or locations (e.g. Funk, Rear lights, etc.). Put the bolts, nuts, washers, parts and label. Label, label , label.

I stripped my car to bare metal looking for any signs of rust. I recommend you get your car sand blasted if you do this, I spent way too much time with a high speed buffer and paint strip attachment which made a pink powdery mess everywhere. Use metal etch prep and epoxy primer immediately or you will be fighting flash rust..that is a curse. One epoxy primed you can then take your time with things like body work, part rebuilding.

Get a cheap sand blast cabinet to strip your parts to metal and then prime and paint - I just learned that Por15 topcoat is cheap compared to powder coating - it's hard as nails. I was trying to stay as true to color everywhere and was using SEM and Wurth paint.

And I would stay with the fuel injection..but I wanted to keep car stock. I have heard differing opinions but the FI from what I have read is amazing when working properly. New fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and rebuilt injectors (google mr injector) and you can be back up and running easily. Also, you can get your relay board rebuilt for ~$150 which will eliminate potential gremlins.

For parts - Stoddard, 914 Rubber, Auto Atlanta, Ebay are great places to find parts. if you remove parts expect to replace rubber items they break or dissolve if they were original. You can find NOS or good used parts if you want to keep car original..just will take time and patience.

+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Jan 20 2021, 04:49 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(RestoReese @ Jan 20 2021, 02:43 AM) *

So I am in the process of completing a restoration with my teenage son. I too am mechanically inclined by never rebuilt an engine from scratch. These engines are a breeze to dismantle and reassemble, although I didn't break open the case when I learned the engine on my 1971 only had 65k original miles. I know this because I had the alternator and starter motors rebuilt and the alternator was original and the brushes were only 1/2 worn.

I used this as a guide - http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/index01.html.

And make sure you take a lot of pictures before of every corner of the car and engine, tranny, etc. Don't think you are taking too many, more is better. Label every part and store them in containers by category or locations (e.g. Funk, Rear lights, etc.). Put the bolts, nuts, washers, parts and label. Label, label , label.

I stripped my car to bare metal looking for any signs of rust. I recommend you get your car sand blasted if you do this, I spent way too much time with a high speed buffer and paint strip attachment which made a pink powdery mess everywhere. Use metal etch prep and epoxy primer immediately or you will be fighting flash rust..that is a curse. One epoxy primed you can then take your time with things like body work, part rebuilding.

Get a cheap sand blast cabinet to strip your parts to metal and then prime and paint - I just learned that Por15 topcoat is cheap compared to powder coating - it's hard as nails. I was trying to stay as true to color everywhere and was using SEM and Wurth paint.

And I would stay with the fuel injection..but I wanted to keep car stock. I have heard differing opinions but the FI from what I have read is amazing when working properly. New fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and rebuilt injectors (google mr injector) and you can be back up and running easily. Also, you can get your relay board rebuilt for ~$150 which will eliminate potential gremlins.

For parts - Stoddard, 914 Rubber, Auto Atlanta, Ebay are great places to find parts. if you remove parts expect to replace rubber items they break or dissolve if they were original. You can find NOS or good used parts if you want to keep car original..just will take time and patience.

@restoreese thanks for all of the tips, hope yours turns out awesome!
+Quote Post
RestoReese
post Jan 21 2021, 01:24 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 23,256
Region Association: Southwest Region

@barnfind9141972 happy to answer questions if you have them. The forum here is great and lots of information, but you can also spend a lot of time trying to find exactly what you are looking for as well.

Trick - if you google 914world:[search terms here] google will return your search in the google response. Can be better than using the forum search since a lot of times you will have references to things deep in threads and will get a lot of returns.

Just remember, the more you remove the more you will find you have to replace. I didn't know this since I am a first timer, and so I learned I should have bought the 914 Rubber rubber kit instead of buying piecemeal - would have saved me $500-700 and all the added wait time for shipping.

And also treat every part as if it were crystal. 50 years can take its toll on metal, plastic, vinyl. Try soap and water first when cleaning. Use WD-40, purple power non diluted to remove built-up grease. Use rust remover for things that need it, but know that anything that is Zinc-chromium parts will have the chromium removed if left in there too long..minutes. If you use paint thinner it will not remove it (at least` from what I have seen).

It took me at least a full day to remove 50 years of build up on the tranny alone, and that was with a wire brush, and every possible degreaser you can imagine. I didn't paint it. Gibbs Oil to coat it and protect the metal going forward, and something I will have to do repeatedly. I didn't want to paint things if they weren't painted before trying to keep the car stock.

And I had a "rust free" car. I was lucky, it was 98% rust free but there was some. I had to remove the rear floor and bought a 1/2 pan and welded in a new one - 914 Restoration Design has every body panel you can imagine.

A few other easy things you can do to make a huge improvement - rebuild your own brakes (yes you can). https://www.pmbperformance.com/914brake.html and buy their brake rebuild parts. Cheap and easy just need some time/patience to remove the pistons. Get new bushings for your pedal cluster and transmission linkage - again easy to do. Replace tranny fluid..drain and fill (Swepco 201 Gear Oil, 80/90). Search forum for DrEvil - he is the transmission god on this site and will help.

And have learned one more important lesson over the past few weeks. Many of the parts are shared with VW, so you can search the VW parts sites for similar part numbers and may find them way cheaper (sometimes). If it is bosch originally, there is usually a VW part number that matches.

Last, I figured out my engine start gremlins last night after trying to start for a week. a couple of wires incorrectly plugged into the wrong thing, and an electronic ignition that need to be reset to the proper gap. The FI engine fired within 1 second of trying to start it and idled at 850 almost imediately. Clean your wire harness terminals with contact cleaner (auto parts store), and if the wires are in good shape, and nice hoses (Auto Atlanta sells both vacuum and fuel hose kits), your FI will run like a champ.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me. I need to give back to this forum since I took a lot from it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:59 AM