Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another home build 2056 upgrade...but this one is mine!, Redux THrÄ“: It's been so FUN lets do it again.....
rfinegan
post Mar 13 2022, 04:39 PM
Post #261

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 13 2022, 06:23 PM) *

I agree that sucks Robert. Are you sure it's something internal and not something intake or ignitiion related? When you tore it down last time you had evidence of valve interference. Were you getting the same symptoms last time? Those compression numbers look good, so....maybe NOT something internal.

Otherwise I have not clue but hope for the best.

IM still hopeful as its not a catastrophic fail yet.. but the howling is seen on the first 15 min brake in and again on this build and can be heard on the video too. So internal seem likely..I will swap out he starter next as This was new to the 2056 on first start and ez to swap a Bosch in its place. Else its a bearing? I did reuse the bearings from first build as everything "LOOKED" ok and so were the journals
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 17 2022, 09:30 AM
Post #262

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Mar 13 2022, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 13 2022, 06:23 PM) *

I agree that sucks Robert. Are you sure it's something internal and not something intake or ignitiion related? When you tore it down last time you had evidence of valve interference. Were you getting the same symptoms last time? Those compression numbers look good, so....maybe NOT something internal.

Otherwise I have not clue but hope for the best.

IM still hopeful as its not a catastrophic fail yet.. but the howling is seen on the first 15 min brake in and again on this build and can be heard on the video too. So internal seem likely..I will swap out he starter next as This was new to the 2056 on first start and ez to swap a Bosch in its place. Else its a bearing? I did reuse the bearings from first build as everything "LOOKED" ok and so were the journals

A howling sound might make me think something like gear noise. Could be as simple as a nick on either the cam gear(s) or the distributor drive gear(s). Best of luck
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2022, 11:07 AM
Post #263

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Is the howling noise the noise you re concerned about what we hear in the video BEFORE you turn the engine over and it sputters a little bit? The video you posted on the 12th?
@rfinegan

If the key is in (I'm guessing it is as the head temps are reading) but the engine is off and something is howling, I'm thinking fuel pump. How is the fuel pressure at the engine?
Zach
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Mar 17 2022, 11:47 AM
Post #264

Member No.: 15,499

To me it sounds like a dry bearing and pulls /slow the engine down till a stall. This is the sound it made just prior to my valves bending and pushrods (see first fail). Odd enough, returning the next day the sound was gone and only a miss fire on Cylider 2 (the popping was seen on cylinder one in video)
Currently it is running on 4 cylinders and no noise. I have done several leak downs and compression test. Still in the Diagnostic phase of figuring what the heck is going on. Ever day its something different and new symptoms
Fuel pump is under the hood and 2-3 psi. It is relayed with the key on via the power relay on the play board. Self regulating at the pump

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 17 2022, 01:07 PM) *

Is the howling noise the noise you re concerned about what we hear in the video BEFORE you turn the engine over and it sputters a little bit? The video you posted on the 12th?
@rfinegan

If the key is in (I'm guessing it is as the head temps are reading) but the engine is off and something is howling, I'm thinking fuel pump. How is the fuel pressure at the engine?
Zach
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 17 2022, 07:46 PM
Post #265

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Could it have been a tight thrust play? Maybe something ground it's way free enough to no longer cause noise, friction and resistance?
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:05 PM