Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: 2 post car lift, Opinions welcomed
draganc
post Jan 25 2021, 12:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Hello folks!

I'm looking for advice and recommendations on a 2 post car lift with
top only connection.

Lift capacity 9-10,000 lbs for “medium” commercial usage, such
as 2-3 car/week.

I have seen a lot of them between $1750 to $2200, incl free shipping,
mainly from Atlas , Triumph and Stratus.

Used “name” brand vs new budget brand as above mentioned?

Need one within the next week or so and are located in NJ.

Open to opinions and recommendations.

Thanks,
dc
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mate914
post Jan 25 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #2

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

Find a dealer going out of business or up grading the lifts.
Name brand from before China made it, is your best choice.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2021, 07:24 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you decide on the Atlas lift, greg smith equipment is 5 minutes off 95, exit 1 in Delaware. Save the sales tax and prices are better if you pick up.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 25 2021, 07:33 AM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Is this for a shop or a garage?
Many of the 2 post lifts you are talking about need 11-12 feet of clearance to fit in your shop. That's a hell of a tall order for your usual garage. Also, some of the commercial lifts are going to require more then single phase wiring. Just remember to be sure the motor on the lift you are looking at is single phase. Most (all?) light duty lifts will be fine.

There is a 2 post 9 foot lift that is specifically made to fit in the usual garage, but it has the joiner on the floor, and can't lift quite as tall (6.6ft). (edit - now there are two.
The NW brand and Tuxedo.)
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/nation...HBoC9WcQAvD_BwE

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/tuxedo...p/tp9kf-tux.htm

And there is the MaxJax that has no joiner and runs on 120v but only lifts your car about 4 feet off the ground (this is what I have).

I linked to Best Buy Automotive as that is who I went through and they were good people when the equipment I ordered ended up getting backordered. They never got frustrated with my status calls and we always trying to assure me that things would arrive when the lifts cleared customs. They have an office in NJ, but I do not know where. Mark mentioned Greg Smith - they are also a very solid company to deal with.

Also, nearly everything new is going to come from China, or be an order of magnitude more expensive.

Zach
+Quote Post
dhuckabay
post Jan 25 2021, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,379
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Have a China one, off eBay. Gets used every day. Well built.
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jan 25 2021, 07:47 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Jan 25 2021, 05:36 AM) *

Have a China one, off eBay. Gets used every day. Well built.

Could you post some pictures please or provide at least the name/type? Thanks!
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jan 25 2021, 07:51 AM
Post #7

Thanks for all the feedback. Additional clarification, height and 2 phase power is not a issue.

Also, thanks @mepstein GSE pick up tip in Delaware!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2021, 08:35 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 25 2021, 08:33 AM) *

Many of the 2 post lifts you are talking about need 11-12 feet of clearance to fit in your shop. That's a hell of a tall order for your usual garage. Also, some of the commercial lifts are going to require more then single phase wiring. Just remember to be sure the motor on the lift you are looking at is single phase. Most (all?) light duty lifts will be fine.

There is a 2 post 9 foot lift that is specifically made to fit in the usual garage, but it has the joiner on the floor, and can't lift quite as tall (6.6ft). (edit - now there are two.
The NW brand and Tuxedo.)
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/nation...HBoC9WcQAvD_BwE

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/tuxedo...p/tp9kf-tux.htm

And there is the MaxJax that has no joiner and runs on 120v but only lifts your car about 4 feet off the ground (this is what I have).

I linked to Best Buy Automotive as that is who I went through and they were good people when the equipment I ordered ended up getting backordered. They never got frustrated with my status calls and we always trying to assure me that things would arrive when the lifts cleared customs. They have an office in NJ, but I do not know where. Mark mentioned Greg Smith - they are also a very solid company to deal with.

Also, nearly everything new is going to come from China, or be an order of magnitude more expensive.

Zach

I just purchased a Maxjax from Bendpak. I'm pretty sure Danmar sold the product to Bendpak and they are the only distributor for them. I no longer see them sold through places like Costco or Home depot. They shipped my direct and it worked out well. They made some upgrades to the unit but and it sells for more. My garage height is only 8.5' so I had fewer options than the OP.
+Quote Post
SavingManuals
post Jan 25 2021, 08:56 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 25,044
Region Association: None

[/quote]
I just purchased a Maxjax from Bendpak. I'm pretty sure Danmar sold the product to Bendpak and they are the only distributor for them. I no longer see them sold through places like Costco or Home depot. They shipped my direct and it worked out well. They made some upgrades to the unit but and it sells for more. My garage height is only 8.5' so I had fewer options than the OP.
[/quote]

@mepstein Any issues with the Maxjax so far? I was considering it
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

[quote name='SavingManuals' date='Jan 25 2021, 09:56 AM' post='2885590']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have not installed it yet. All the reviews of the new model are very positive. For my garage, with its limited height, it’s the only 2 post lift available. I could have used a mid rise lift but I’m pretty sure I can stack one 914 above and another below with the maxjax. That’s not my only reason for purchase but one possibility. All the lifts offer benefits and compromises. You just have to figure out which one is best for you.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 25 2021, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

I installed a Bendpack, a commercial-grade used unit from a garage that was going out of business. Standard height, we modified the garage bartn to make it work. Love the thing.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 25 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #12

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 25 2021, 08:33 AM) *

Many of the 2 post lifts you are talking about need 11-12 feet of clearance to fit in your shop.

My Ammco is 12'-3", it really 11'-11" tall but at full rise the freaking ram's stick 4" out the top. Without any pad risers a 914 bottom is 6'-2"-ish high down the middle, My 6'5" kid ducks or he hits his head.
I choose a well maintained used USA made lift, I removed and installed it by myself. The seller had a forklift and I have a 2 ton crane in my shop to stand it up.

With the overhead bar type of lift some trucks, vans, etc., you can't lift them as high as you might like. No problem with most cars and you can lift tall vans enough to do most jobs.

QUOTE(draganc @ Jan 25 2021, 08:51 AM) *

Thanks for all the feedback. Additional clarification, height and 2 phase power is not a issue.

Also, thanks @mepstein GSE pick up tip in Delaware!

No such thing as 2 phase power, single and 3 phase only. 220-240v is still single phase. You want single phase, unless you're commercial.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 25 2021, 01:26 PM
Post #13

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(SavingManuals @ Jan 25 2021, 09:56 AM) *

Buy one and don't look back. They are fantastic. But they are not commercial units, and only raise about 4 feet. For a hobbyist like myself, its very good.

Zach
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Jan 25 2021, 02:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

Just remember you need significant concrete footings to support your 2 posts. If i remember right my 10K lb western required 2foot X 3 foot X 1 foot deep at the mounting points. the rest of the pad was 3 inches, but I had to dig out and rebar the mounting locations before I poured the slab
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Jan 25 2021, 02:38 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(draganc @ Jan 24 2021, 10:42 PM) *

Hello folks!

I'm looking for advice and recommendations on a 2 post car lift with
top only connection.

Lift capacity 9-10,000 lbs for “medium” commercial usage, such
as 2-3 car/week.

I have seen a lot of them between $1750 to $2200, incl free shipping,
mainly from Atlas , Triumph and Stratus.

Used “name” brand vs new budget brand as above mentioned?

Need one within the next week or so and are located in NJ.

Open to opinions and recommendations.

Thanks,
dc

Mine was bought locally and installed by a dealer. It's a 10k "launch tech". I bought the 4 post from them at the same time and negotiated a bit of a discount. Maybe you have a similar type of dealer locally.

https://www.cemlifts.com/

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2021, 03:07 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Jan 25 2021, 03:10 PM) *

Just remember you need significant concrete footings to support your 2 posts. If i remember right my 10K lb western required 2foot X 3 foot X 1 foot deep at the mounting points. the rest of the pad was 3 inches, but I had to dig out and rebar the mounting locations before I poured the slab

4” for a Maxjax.
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Jan 25 2021, 03:42 PM
Post #17

Bucci

Member No.: 9,407
Region Association: Southern California

Not sure if this will fit your application, but I’ve been reading about this lift on the other forms..! I think I’m going this direction as my garage ceiling is only 8 feet tall plus this one you do not have the bolt down you could fold it up and lean it against the wall. I’m only lifting a 2100 pound 914.!

https://www.ezcarlift.com/

+Quote Post
Rrrockhound
post Jan 25 2021, 04:34 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,213
Region Association: None

I've had a MaxJax for over 10 years now and have had it at 3 different properties. The 4' lift height is low but with a roller stool you can move around easily under the car. I had my latest garage custom built taller than standard so I have clearance for an SUV. I put a rolling door at the service bay so I don't have to worry about an open garage door interfering with the car while it's lifted. The MaxJax is rated at 6000 lbs but it does labor a little with my 4600 lb Mitsubishi Montero. For my current installation, I had a hydraulic shop fab up a pair of extension hoses so I could run the hoses up into the rafters and down the walls to the hydraulic pump rather than running them across the floor. Then I took the pump off the cart and mounted it directly to the wall.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 25 2021, 05:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

I have been using a HF scissors lift for about a year now, works good. Some guys dig a pit and flush it out with the floor. Our Alfa spider can drive on, set the lifting pads and go. Our 911, 914 and 930 require a double layer of 2x10 lumber to get it up for clearance. I simply have it sitting on my floor slab but have it pinned to the floor and have leveled it. Currently rebuilding our 914 rustout.
+Quote Post
Cornerlot
post Jan 25 2021, 05:26 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,070
Region Association: Southwest Region

About 7 years ago a local company went out of business and sold off about 40 Rotary lifts, U.S. made ones. I bought a 9000# asymmetric version, runs on single phase 220V. Easy to put in, I did it myself and consider it the best tool in my garage. Well worth the cost, about $2400 used.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:52 AM