Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official 2021 WCR in San Luis Obispo, Oct. 14-17, Updated 13-Oct-2021 Alisal Fire won't impact our drives
strawman
post Feb 18 2021, 02:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Update 13-Oct-2021:
The Alisal Fire in Santa Barbara County should not impact either of our drives, since we won't be any further south than Los Olivos on Saturday. In fact, I ran the optional Aliso Canyon and Harris Grade portions of the Saturday run yesterday evening and did not experience any smoke. Hopefully, it stays that way throughout the weekend.

Also, I uploaded the turn sheets for both drives a few minutes ago in post #197, which also shows approximate times at waypoints for those folks who are joining us late. I'll provide printouts of the turn sheets in the SWAG bags.

I approved the t-shirt mock-up about an hour ago -- they look GREAT! I'll stuff them into the SWAG bags in time for WCR check-in at the Quality Inn Suites tomorrow beginning at 2PM and ending at 4PM.

Due to timing, we will not gather at Cloisters Park at the outset of the Friday run as originally planned. I'm hoping Mark Whitesell will bring his drone so that we can take a car/group photo alongside the dinosaurs in Huasna on Saturday; otherwise, it'll need to be folks snapping iPhone photos from atop the nearby hill.

Finally, I have informally reserved the outside patio at Beda's Biergarten beginning at 4:30PM on Thursday. The address is 3230 Broad Street in SLO. Come join me for some of my favorite German food and a glass of bier, prior to heading out at 6PM to watch the sunset at Morro Rock in Morro Bay.

Previous Updates:

Alright, "registration" is officially open! I put it in quotes because I am not charging a fee this year, since I know that hotel costs are crazy-high in this beautiful part of the country and mostly everything will be a la carte (more details below). PM me thru this website, and include your real name and the screen/real names of your guests. I'll update the attendee list every day or two.

Upfront, I want to thank the incredible vendors that support our Porsche 914 addiction and provide such great service to us. In anticipation of this year's WCR event, I have talked with many of them, and their support for WCR 2021 is pouring in. As additional commitments are made, I'll update the list. The donated items will be raffled off during the Saturday evening awards dinner at Woodstock's in downtown SLO; winners must be present to accept prizes. If you are willing to contribute something (hint: I'm looking for someone to make People's Choice trophies!), please PM me. Below is the current list in alphabetic order:

Official T-Shirt Ordering Link

Click on the Official 2021 WCR T-Shirt Ordering Link to order t-shirts! Registrants whose orders are received by October 7th will be provided their t-shirt(s) during registration on October 14th; all others must choose the direct shipping option.

WCR 2021 Sponsors List:

914Rubber - SWAG bags & various 914 items
914Werke - muffler hanger, tuna can, throttle cable mount, tow hooks, etc.
Bruce Stone - refurbished pedals set
BuddyV - posters of WCR 2021 logo
PMB Performance - refurbished caliper set
Pokrajac Automotive - discounted dyno runs
Spokeworks LED - two sets of LED taillights
strawman - WCR 2021 logo artwork, local wine for "Best Of" prizes
914SIXXation - vintage 914 pillow
RockAuto - $25 gift certificate, magnets, etc.

Below is the final draft logo for this WCR 2021 that I worked with a local graphics artist to develop. I will start a separate posting to order shirts from a reliable local vendor whose shop is a few doors down from my office and we've used him for a lot of past orders. I'll add a link to this posting here once that link is up. A range of options will be provided (color of shirt, long- or short-sleeve, women's/men's, hoodie, etc.), and ordering will be done through a third-party vendor. The shirts will be distributed during registration on Thursday October 14th.

Attached Image

Due to COVID-19, the only "official" gathering will be at Woodstock's Pizza on Saturday October 16 at 6PM in downtown SLO. Everyone will be responsible for ordering and paying for your own meals/drinks. The same is true for meals during the Friday and Saturday drives -- you're on your own to set up small groups to chow down for lunch in Cambria (Friday), and lunch in Los Olivos (Saturday).

The SLO Trolley is currently suspended due to a lack of bus drivers, so there's no free shuttle between the host hotel and Woodstock's on Saturday evening. You can choose to make the (pleasant) walk to Woodstock's from the host hotel, Uber, or park downtown. There's three parking garages within a few blocks, and plenty of curbside parking nearby in the vibrant SLO downtown area -- but please drive safely/sober if you choose to drive.

In mid-September, the SLO County Public Health Officer decreed that face masks must be worn indoors due to the COVID-19 Delta variant, and I ask that you respectfully comply. Obviously, when you're eating/drinking, mask wearing is not possible and I am certain that enforcement is relatively lax. But I don't want our Porsche 914 community to be labeled "those guys" for raising an unnecessary ruckus.

During registration, you'll be provided your shirt (if you ordered one!), the final itinerary of events, print-outs of the drives on Friday and Saturday, ballots for People's Choice Awards (longest drive, best original, best modified, etc.), raffle tickets, as well as maps to get to the Dyno Day and other events that we can (safely) put together. I'm thinking a Thursday night sunset picture opportunity near Morro Rock, followed up with small-group gatherings to eat dinner in Morro Bay / Cayucos... but I'm open to other ideas (PM me!).

The car show will officially kick off in the Quality Suites Inn parking lot following the Saturday drive. I'll be there to collect the ballots, which we will tally up prior to meeting at Woodstock's later that evening.

I will continue to maintain this posting #1 as the singular place for details, so please subscribe and check back often.

List of Attendees:

1. strawman (Geoff S., and Nancy)
2. Steve (Steve F.)
3. BuddyV (Robert)
4. markhoward (Mark S.)
5. siverson (Steve I.)
6. Coondog (Greg)
6. markb (Mark B.)
7. Retroracer (Tony D.)
8. gonzo54 (Rick R.)
9. drem914 (Franz N., and Joyce)
10. Mike D. (Mike D.)
11. jim_hoyland (Jim H.)
12. FL000 (Josh, and Adelita)
13. MartyYeoman (Marty Y., and Debbie)
14. 914-300Hemi (Ravi, and Michelle)
15. VegasRacer (John P.)
16. 914SIXXation (Margie SH)
17. jcd914 (Jim D., and Mary)
18. Mikey914 (Mark and Janelle W., and Scott and Daun B.)
19. Unpretentious (Jerry M.)
20. dgroover (Dave G.)
21. 914-7T3 (Jeffrey)
22. mgp4591 (Mike P.)
23. DucRS (Alfred, and Nancy)
24. 914Toy (Keith H.)
25. mxkinn01 (Mike, and Donna)
26. MikeEnglish (Mike E.)
27. Chris914n6 (Chris P.)
27. Eric_Shea (Eric and Diane, and possibly Larry & Gloria P.)
28. PCH (Peter - Saturday only)
29. EdwardBlume (Rob)
30. second_wind (Greg G.) - in for dyno day
30. Cairo94507 (Michael H, and brother Bob H)
31. DTMLGND (Paul)
32. 9ONE4_JIM (Jim P.)
33. bdstone914 (Bruce S.)
34. PDXMike (Mike P.)
35. buggvert (Will W.; Saturday only)
36. 44ron (Aaron M.)
37. alex914 (Alex H, and Jovita)
38. Robarabian (Robert A.)
39. roberthbollinger (Bob B., and Patricia)
40. DHF (Dirk F.)
41. jdbogart@self-serv.net (Don B., and Judy)
42. Yellowporky (Chris S., and Venus +2 kids; Boxster 2nd car)
43. Jack_Standz (John, and Kay)
44. echocanyons (Kelly)
44. 808_WRX (Efren M; Saturday only)

Update on 27-Aug-2021:

I have run a few great Central Coast drives over the past few weekends, and I believe we've got 'em locked in now. I'm also working with a great local artist to design a cool t-shirt, and will start a separate thread once it's ready for debut. I haven't yet figured out the registration fee that will include the t-shirt, but will update this thread as soon as I can nail it down. Stay tuned!

We'll do a Thursday evening drive for the early check-ins to the Morro Rock to watch the sunset, snap a few pics, and catch up. Those who are up for it can join me for dinner at Beda's Biergarten for some authentic German food and cold beer.

Friday morning will start at 9:14AM in the Quality Inn parking lot, with a re-group at Cloisters Community Park in Morro Bay. Then we'll head up the Coast and then over the mountains to Paso Robles Wine Country for some scenic and twisty roads. Next it's back to the Coast to to see some unique Coastal Vistas and have lunch in Cambria in small groups. Later that afternoon, we'll head over to watch those who signed up (details coming soon!) for dyno pulls.

Saturday morning will be another 9:14AM start, and we'll head along the south Coast (after a diversion to a unique SLO picture-taking opportunity!) and head for the twisty roads in the North Santa Barbara County Wine Country. We'll head back to the Quality Inn parking lot to display our cars and collect ballots for People's Choice / Best of Show.

The awards banquet will take place at 6:00PM at Woodstock's Pizza, which is located relatively close to the Quality Suites. Click on the link to see their menu. It'll be No-Host, so you're responsible for buying your own grub and beer. But I can vouge for it all; it is a go-to for me when I'm in downtown SLO.

There are a lot of great drives into and out of SLO County, so I'll send those details to registrants so that you can group up and have mini-rallies before/after the WCR.

Original 18-Feb-2021 Posting:

Hi All --

I will continue to edit/update this posting as details are nailed down, but we've finalized the dates and location for the 2021 West Coast Ramble: the WCR will be held October 14-17, 2021 in San Luis Obispo. Ink it into your calendar!

The "host" hotel is the Quality Suites Downtown San Luis Obispo. While this place ain't cheap, it is clean, safe and within walking distance of lots of food and entertainment venues. Call them at (805) 242-0269 and ask for Angela -- she is the only one that can give you the group rate. When you book at the Quality Suites make sure to ask for the "914WORLD Group Block Rate." The 3-day total is $747.63. We may see a slight discount on this rate as we get closer to our rally as per hotel staff (I am presuming they'll credit the cost; stay tuned).

Presuming the COVID-19 pandemic is not going to re-rear its ugly head again this fall, there is a free Downtown Trolley that operates Thursday through Saturday nights, with a bus stop out front of the Quality Suites.

[ADMIN EDIT]
Email pictures to: Attached Image

- Make sure your images are below 4MB in size
- Make sure your iphone is set to use the JPEG image format instead of their proprietary HEIC format
- Make sure the camera button is on the right so your pictures display correctly here
- Don't bother writing a message, only the title of your email will show here
- ^^^ Write a useful email title

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Feb 18 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #2

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 18 2021, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you
+Quote Post
framos914
post Feb 18 2021, 03:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,353

Great, thank you.
Let us know what kind of volunteer work is needed.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 18 2021, 03:27 PM
Post #5

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Thank you...remember, put me on the list to bring up some SWAG (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

O

Attached Image
+Quote Post
drem914
post Feb 18 2021, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,062

Great news. I'm in. Should be a fun birthday weekend.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 18 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Awesome,

Let me know if or how I can help.
Mark
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 18 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Check out Woodstock Pizza for the Sat night awards dinner. If we get a hotel on Monterey it’s a easy 10 min walk. Not a whole lot of places downtown that can fit our group.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Feb 18 2021, 08:03 PM
Post #9

Update: 2/18/2021 -- I met with the hotel managers at The Kinney Hotel, Quality Inn Hotel, and Lamplighter Motel (across from Quality Inn) today, and all said the weekend of October 14-17 works for them. I'm expecting a call back from each company's event coordinator within the next week. I expect the Lamplighter cost/night to represent lower-cost alternatives to the eventual host hotel that are located along Monterey Street within walking distance. There are also several boutique inns for those whose significant other wears the pants among us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

The Kinney has banquet rooms on-site for 40 diners in the large room and another 20 in the room nearby (separated by the full service bar). Not ideal, since we'd be separated for the awards presentation, or would have to crowd into the larger room (has a non-COVID capacity of 94 persons). We could also go to Woodstock's Pizza about 0.9 miles away, or try to get a banquet room at Central Coast Brewery (3 mi away) or at SLO Brew Rock (~4 mi near the SLO Airport). Another option is the renting the nearby Monday Club and bringing in catering, but that'll be $$$. I'll check in with those places in the next week and provide an update.

I stopped by SGS Independent Porsche Autocare about a possible tech session (Corner-balancing a 914? The PPI process? or ??), and Nathan and Guy are open to it. Guy's active in our local PCA autocross events, and he committed to chatting more about it with me. I scheduled a corner-balance and alignment of my Beast for March 4th while I was there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I also stopped by Pokrajac Automotive to talk with Mike, the guy that built and tuned my Beast's Subaru engine. He's willing to do a dyno day -- $100 per car for 3 pulls with printouts, if we can guarantee 10 cars. It takes about 30 minutes per car from the time it drives up onto the Mustang Dyno until the next one can drive up -- so it'd need to be a choreographed event and each car would need to be ready to go (no big oil drips, tires aired-up, safely tuned, etc.). Maybe Thursday afternoon/early-evening? If you're interested in that, reply to this thread and I'll add a separate list at the top of this thread.

I'm meeting with four of my 24 Hours of Lemons teammates tomorrow for lunch, and I plan to recruit them to help plan the drives and possibly provide road support during the drives. Aaron owns a 1974 914 with a 1.8, although he's wrapping up the hotrod/rebuild of a 2.7 sixer to up the ante. I'm sure I can finally get him to join 914World since he'll be helping me host this event... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Geoff
+Quote Post
strawman
post Feb 18 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #10

One more thing: if you look at Google Earth views of the hotels along Monterey Street, you'll see that The Kinney has the most parking space for our cars and a few trailers. The Veterans Center is within rock-throwing distance, with plenty of long-vehicle/combo curbside parking along Palm and Mill Streets. Again, I've got an acre in nearby Los Osos with a full-service shop -- so that's another possibility for staging tow rigs.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 18 2021, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Geoff - I'd be up for seeing how much my car weighs (maybe at SGS?) - if they need a volunteer vehicle to show how their scales work..!

And, I'd be up for a dyno pull for giggles and grins. Although getting some of the V8 boys on deck might be more entertaining (I'm talking to you @tygaboy ..!).

Looking forward to it already....

- Tony
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 18 2021, 09:00 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 18 2021, 06:08 PM) *

One more thing: if you look at Google Earth views of the hotels along Monterey Street, you'll see that The Kinney has the most parking space for our cars and a few trailers. The Veterans Center is within rock-throwing distance, with plenty of long-vehicle/combo curbside parking along Palm and Mill Streets. Again, I've got an acre in nearby Los Osos with a full-service shop -- so that's another possibility for staging tow rigs.

Hopefully the trolley to downtown will be running by next October, The Kinney is a good choice. I have a call into Quality Suites. I spoke with the events manager today to try to get there price drastically decreased. The Quality Suites includes breakfast, happy hour includes free beer, wine but price may be a deal breaker. She will get back with me tomorrow.

FYI
The Lamplighter is a dump.
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post Feb 18 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,199

So glad this is rolling forward! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Big cheers to Strawman for steppin up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
FL000
post Feb 18 2021, 09:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,076

Sounds awesome, you have been busy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I’d be in for the dyno test also.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 19 2021, 12:20 AM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Down!!!!

And the dyno sounds fun! Dad and I will be ready to pump up the boost on our cars!
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Feb 19 2021, 08:18 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 6,794

i hope to have a 914 this time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 19 2021, 09:18 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Feb 18 2021, 06:16 PM) *

Hey Geoff - I'd be up for seeing how much my car weighs (maybe at SGS?) - if they need a volunteer vehicle to show how their scales work..!

And, I'd be up for a dyno pull for giggles and grins. Although getting some of the V8 boys on deck might be more entertaining (I'm talking to you @tygaboy ..!).

Looking forward to it already....

- Tony

@Retroracer - Tony, I have access to a set of scales, if you don't want to wait to weigh your car. If you're interested, let me know and we can work out a time for you to come up.
And given I have numbers from the engine dyno, it'd be interesting to see what I'm getting to the wheels. I'm in!
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 19 2021, 09:53 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Another suggestion for Sat night dinner, keep it within walking distance of our hotel.
SLO has City Police, County Sheriff and CHP offices all within the city. There always patrolling for that DUI college student. If the trolley is running its even better.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Feb 19 2021, 12:37 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 19 2021, 07:53 AM) *

Another suggestion for Sat night dinner, keep it within walking distance of our hotel.
SLO has City Police, County Sheriff and CHP offices all within the city. There always patrolling for that DUI college student. If the trolley is running its even better.

Good call. The SLO Downtown Trolley is still suspended due to the pandemic, so the banquet within walking distance is a great idea to avoid drinking/driving. I'll do some checking on venues nearby.

Thanks also for reaching out to your contacts at the Quality Inn Suites. The manager I spoke with (Bruce) is a former 914 owner, and he said he'd love to see a bunch of 'em at his site. Also said something about how 914 guys are always nicer than "the hotrod Roadster guys" that come in May each year...
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Feb 19 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,897

Looking forward to SLO!
+Quote Post

25 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:21 PM