Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914Rubber GB - 91455209712 YES the Roll bar!
DRPHIL914
post Apr 25 2021, 04:33 PM
Post #241

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

where are we at with this? i have the part sitting in my garage, waiting.... i have decided i am not going to install it, not going to modify it to work. What i would like is to have it swapped out with the correctly fitting part, when that happens or if not returned for refund. Mark, please let us know if that is a possibility.

i appreciate the hard work and investment put in to making these, but it should have been tested for fit before being sent out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Apr 26 2021, 10:55 AM
Post #242

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 27 2021, 04:17 PM
Post #243

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 27 2021, 04:30 PM
Post #244

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 25 2021, 03:33 PM) *

where are we at with this? i have the part sitting in my garage, waiting.... i have decided i am not going to install it, not going to modify it to work. What i would like is to have it swapped out with the correctly fitting part, when that happens or if not returned for refund. Mark, please let us know if that is a possibility.

i appreciate the hard work and investment put in to making these, but it should have been tested for fit before being sent out.

Please send it back if you are not happy. The original prototype did fit, the area had a tight clearance and variation in the metal production and the foam grew under the higher pressure we wound up running these on. So we have opted to go 2 routes. We can print covers that you would have to paint, or the metal version is in the works it would be offered to any that want it for $20 but will retail at $60 a set and will be powder coated.

The foundry production can only go so fast. I have designed the new parts made prototypes and I'm currently having tooling made to make in aluminum.
By the way we are almost complete latch rebuild kit will be ready at the same time. We are working on it too as well.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 27 2021, 08:22 PM
Post #245

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2021, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 25 2021, 03:33 PM) *

Please send it back if you are not happy. The original prototype did fit, the area had a tight clearance and variation in the metal production and the foam grew under the higher pressure we wound up running these on. So we have opted to go 2 routes. We can print covers that you would have to paint, or the metal version is in the works it would be offered to any that want it for $20 but will retail at $60 a set and will be powder coated.

The foundry production can only go so fast. I have designed the new parts made prototypes and I'm currently having tooling made to make in aluminum.
By the way we are almost complete latch rebuild kit will be ready at the same time. We are working on it too as well.

My 75 is plastic, so plastic unpainted covers are fine for me if it makes the installation less painful.
Thanks!!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 27 2021, 09:37 PM
Post #246

The rubber man

They will be ready about the same time. We will be contacting all in about 4 weeks as it will take about 10 days to execute shipping and of course combine with the latch kits if wanted.
Mark
+Quote Post
jsaum
post May 12 2021, 10:16 AM
Post #247

Member No.: 7,809

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2021, 08:37 PM) *

They will be ready about the same time. We will be contacting all in about 4 weeks as it will take about 10 days to execute shipping and of course combine with the latch kits if wanted.
Mark

Mark,
When is the next run for the roll bar pads? The one I received not only has the issues with the cover plates not fitting it also is deformed so the latch handle doesn’t return into the recess. I think I’m on the list to get a replacement.

Thanks,
James Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 12 2021, 12:12 PM
Post #248

The rubber man

The problem we ran into was the material inside the pocket grew in on some up to 1/16”. We are making new latch covers to allow for this. They are in process now.

We have completed another run of these and even with some adjustments it did grow some again.

We are holding off until we can provide all that need them with a replacement set. All future bars will just come with them.

Drop me some pics of the latch handle area. I suspect it may be a spring issue as the actual opening remains the same size.
So in a nutshell we will get you a solution unfortunately it takes awhile to make new parts. We redesigned the pats with changes to the bracket mounts that have been tested to fit and not interfere with the latches.
I’ll post up more as we get closer to having parts.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post May 12 2021, 03:49 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 7,809

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 12 2021, 11:12 AM) *

The problem we ran into was the material inside the pocket grew in on some up to 1/16”. We are making new latch covers to allow for this. They are in process now.

We have completed another run of these and even with some adjustments it did grow some again.

We are holding off until we can provide all that need them with a replacement set. All future bars will just come with them.

Drop me some pics of the latch handle area. I suspect it may be a spring issue as the actual opening remains the same size.
So in a nutshell we will get you a solution unfortunately it takes awhile to make new parts. We redesigned the pats with changes to the bracket mounts that have been tested to fit and not interfere with the latches.
I’ll post up more as we get closer to having parts.

It’s actually indented, the opening is caved in so the handle hits the pad. PM me your email and I’ll send a few pictures before I pull it off the car.
Thanks,
James
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 14 2021, 05:51 PM
Post #250

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Interested in the improved version as well as latch rebuild kits.
+Quote Post
Nacho
post Jun 10 2021, 08:03 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 20,716

Any update? @Mikey914

+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 10 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #252

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

too late for the group buy? I'd be in for 1 with hardware. TIA.
+Quote Post
tyfighter123
post Jun 27 2021, 06:17 AM
Post #253

Member No.: 20,422
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Any updates on this? I would still like a few sets of the hardware install package. I also need the new latch covers.
+Quote Post
cal914
post Jun 27 2021, 02:27 PM
Post #254

Member No.: 14,366

Is it too late to join the list for this part
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 27 2021, 03:28 PM
Post #255

The rubber man

We have had problems in foundry making these. There are under cuts and splayed mounting tabs, but we think we finally have a solution. It will actually solve a few problems.
I'm working on prototyping these this week. If they work as planned will be working on the tooling to make them right after.

As far as the original price on the GB there were a few that asked while all of this is in progress that we will honor.

We also will be offering additional discounts on a few other items that are coming up for those that have supported us and believed in us to handle the issue.

We do have 2 other cool items that we all can use that you will get additional discounts on if you wish.

More this week

+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 9 2021, 11:30 AM
Post #256

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Any updates yet?
I don't want to remove my stock unit until all the parts are there to install the replacement correctly (and without having to modify/possibly damage anything).

IIRC we're waiting on a correct hardware kit (longer screws) and latch covers that fit.

Also do all the pads in the first run have the exact same fitment issues, or are their variants within the first run?
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 9 2021, 11:40 AM
Post #257

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

My original unit is toast. I'd take an early version that needs a modified trim piece.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 9 2021, 11:44 AM
Post #258

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 19 2021, 07:26 PM) *

Not sure if it’s just me, but I just can’t get this to look good and be secure.

Are these usable as is? Anyone have a picture of one installed yet?

Not trying to be negative, I really appreciate the work that must have gone in to getting these made, but I want to make sure they fit before deciding to go forward (once the rest of the necessary parts are available).
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 9 2021, 12:00 PM
Post #259

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 9 2021, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 19 2021, 07:26 PM) *

Not sure if it’s just me, but I just can’t get this to look good and be secure.

Are these usable as is? Anyone have a picture of one installed yet?

Not trying to be negative, I really appreciate the work that must have gone in to getting these made, but I want to make sure they fit before deciding to go forward (once the rest of the necessary parts are available).

I don't think it is possible to get a perfect fit with these first run roll bar pads, but with some carving and tweaking, I got it installed well enough that it is a significant improvement over the cracked original. Issues are that even after carving the latch cover openings so they drop in properly, the bar twists enough in the install that the covers bulge and, as was already mentioned, the latch levers won't retract into the recess properly. On mine I am able to just push them up to tuck them in, but it isn't how they should be. Here's the pic of my installed pad from this post in the other thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2924471 You can see the latch cover bowing up. With the roll bar off, the cover drops in and sits perfectly flush so this is due to some additional twisting/shrinking that occurred on the pad.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1618806715.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 9 2021, 12:58 PM
Post #260

The rubber man

We are working on the covers still. Everyone that has bought a roll bar will be getting a new metal latch cover set. We are making some improvements on them too. It will resolve the issue and make it a better looking part.

It's been a painful process. Also there will be additional considerations I will contact all that have bought these as it progresses.

Mark
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:39 AM