Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sheridan 914 body kits
SGB
post Jul 27 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #41

just visiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
Hey Brett!
Although I didn't just "just crank the t-bars down", I'm pretty sure I could use some serious front end realignment. It is as low as it will go without hitting the bump stops often, and has a pretty big bump steer kit that was in when I last had it 4-wheel aligned many years ago. I know you told me before that you do oyur own alignments. Could I convince you to help me get my front end -better? It doesn't have any problems and tracks straight, but I'll bet it isn't even close to ideal. Whattayasay? Got enough time? I'll bring the beer or coffee or whatever!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 27 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Next week I may have a little time.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 27 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #43

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Does anyone have a Sheridan body I can get a mold from?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 27 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I have a car that could be used for a mold to make our own more aero body work than the Sheridan kit.
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 28 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 26 2005, 03:59 PM)
Lots of "negative" caster will not make a car hard to steer. I ran 6 degrees on my street car and have designed as much as 10 degrees into some race cars. It is good for camber gain in a strut situation. This "jacking" effect that you refers to really only occurs at large steering angles such as those incurred in a street car. Race cars don't use anywhere near as much steering angle. The KPI can be used to offset this in a street car. Since the factory set the strut at a 10 degree angle running, the drawbacks of large amounts of caster are offset by the KPI.

A large scrub radius is bad thing anyway you look at it. Any bump of cornering force exerts a twisting force on the steering that is proportional to the scrub radius. Cars with zero scrub radius can be driven without power steering becasue these twisting froces are gone. But zero scrub radius cars can feel very numb. The driver needs a little feedback to "feel" what the tires are doing so havinga minuimal amount of scrub radius is useful. In my cars I shoot for a minimal amount of scrub radius. In most applications the large amount of KPI that the factory built into our cars helps decrease the large scub radius because the wheels can't be crammed over the struts.

Brett,

I suppose we could go on for hours; it'd be fun, no doubt. So, just a couple of comments.

First, just to set the grounds for your opinion; by negative caster, I assume you mean that the tire contact patch (where the verticle centerline of the wheel meets the road surface) is trailing behind the king pin (or axis of the strut) as it intersects the road surface. Hmmm, is that confusing? How about: The king pin is rotated opposite the direction of tire rotation. I use "king pin" as it's easier to describe in few words, and is easier to visualize.

I know of no example where adding caster does not increase required steering input. Increaesd caster will always ceate an increase in weight jacking (and increased effort), and is especially accentuated when using wide tires. As such, it takes very little steering input to creat jacking in your wide tire example. That's what makes race setups so much more difficult that a narrow tire'd street application. I think we both realize that there's a balance between caster and KPI; some refer to it as a compromise, as one begets the other. There's no perfect solution.

A strut suspension usually dictates how little scrub radius you can run due to it's design (as opposed to say a double wishbone design). I agree that you can usually benefit from some scrub radius to provide the driver with some "feel." Some trends in suspensions have moved towards very little caster and KPI, and larger scrub radii, but the jury's still out, AFAIK. It does create a little more stability in the front end dynamic behavior at the cost of dartiness and straight line stability.

Thanks for the interesting discussion,

Andy
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:36 AM