Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 Porsche 914 w/ 6-cyl Corvair conversion, @ Oakland pick-n-pull
SirAndy
post Jul 25 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #21

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 25 2005, 02:15 PM)
Ok, I have indeed verified that there is NOT a 914 in the Richmond pick-n-pull. I did not get to the Oakland one in time. Do any people more local (it's a 4 hour drive for me) care to see if it's in the yard? I may make the trek again if it looks to be worth it.

i could run over there and have a look. but i don't have a camera right now, can you wait 'til thursday?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 25 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #22

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I don't think they allow cameras, but if you can sneak one in.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I'm in no big hurry.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 25 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #23

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Jul 21 2005, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 19 2005, 08:36 AM)
flipped diff introduces other possible weaknesses. reverse cam is the way to go. Dr evil used to have a corvair motor.....

dunno about the 911 tranny though. makes sense.

Why? 911 Transmissions run that direction. Mike was rebuilding the motor anyway so he used the reverse cam. I tried to convince him to use the reversed differential.

911 transmissions run in the exact same direction as a 914 transmission. The only difference is the locaiton of the ring gear. That is why it drives in the opposite direction. Even in reverse the input shaft runs the same direction, and the pinion shaft is turned in reverse at low speed , and for a short time only.

If you reverse the rotation of the input shaft on a transmission, every internal part runs in the opposite direction. The shafts have thrust bearings that take the load caused by the helical cut gears. If you reverse the rotation of the shafts, you are running against surfaces that were not designed to take a thrust load.

The only proper way to make a Corvair motor to a 901 transmission is to install a reverse rotation cam in the Corvair motor.

Cap'n.. Can I get your input on this????
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 25 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #24

Sir Post-a-lot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,501

yea (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) i remembered right.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:30 PM