Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 901 transaxle diff case bearing preload, Wondering if diff case is excessively hard to turn
Buische
post Mar 9 2021, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,100
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I used Dr. Evil's video suite to tear apart and rebuild my 901 transaxle. Super good, but no discussion about what to expect for proper diff case rotation torque without 1-5 gear stack installed. I pulled the diff and put it in a plastic bag, cleaned the case, and put new seals in. I did not think to check when disassembling.

Diff is open type, side gears spin fine inside diff case. But when I twist both hubs in the same directlon, it takes a lot of effort. I'm guess-timating 30 ft-lb. I don't think this makes sense, but I don't actually know. I am concerned that a previous owner installed the diff wrong. But, the bearings don't have damage that I can see, so I don't have other evidence pointing to incorrect build.

Any advice on how to tell if appropriate drag for bearings?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 07:20 AM