Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 transaxle diff case bearing preload
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Buische
I used Dr. Evil's video suite to tear apart and rebuild my 901 transaxle. Super good, but no discussion about what to expect for proper diff case rotation torque without 1-5 gear stack installed. I pulled the diff and put it in a plastic bag, cleaned the case, and put new seals in. I did not think to check when disassembling.

Diff is open type, side gears spin fine inside diff case. But when I twist both hubs in the same directlon, it takes a lot of effort. I'm guess-timating 30 ft-lb. I don't think this makes sense, but I don't actually know. I am concerned that a previous owner installed the diff wrong. But, the bearings don't have damage that I can see, so I don't have other evidence pointing to incorrect build.

Any advice on how to tell if appropriate drag for bearings?

Thanks
stownsen914
I don't have the spec in front of me, but 30 ft lb is too high for sure (assuming it's just the diff in there, no pinion or mainshaft). It's usually measured in inch-lb (with only the diff carrier installed, no pinion or mainshaft). I recall for a 915 it's different depending on which brand of bearing you use, so it may be similar for the 901/914. If too tight, you remove shims from the diff carrier.

Edit - if you have the trans fully assembled including pinion + mainshaft assemblies, 30 ft-lb may be about right, though I've not measured it before to be honest.
mgphoto
As per factory manual

Click to view attachment
Buische
Very helpful info. Thanks.
Buische
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Mar 10 2021, 03:27 PM) *

I don't have the spec in front of me, but 30 ft lb is too high for sure (assuming it's just the diff in there, no pinion or mainshaft). It's usually measured in inch-lb (with only the diff carrier installed, no pinion or mainshaft). I recall for a 915 it's different depending on which brand of bearing you use, so it may be similar for the 901/914. If too tight, you remove shims from the diff carrier.

Edit - if you have the trans fully assembled including pinion + mainshaft assemblies, 30 ft-lb may be about right, though I've not measured it before to be honest.

I initially had the 1-5 gearset and pinion installed, but took those out to be sure it wasn't due to interference with the pinion. There was some gray area in selecting intermediate plate gasket thickness, so wanted to be sure that was not a factor.
Buische
Good news. Went out and put my clicker torque wrench on it, and a short bar across two bolts on the other side. Diff turned with just the weight of the torque wrench, so I think it's OK. The calibration on my hand and arm torque wrench apparently is way out of spec.

Thanks for the info, it helped me make what I think is a good call to continue the build.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.