Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Vacation...what to do for 2 weeks??
Mueller
post Jul 21 2003, 05:15 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Planning on going to Europe while we still have a little bit of money left before the wife starts her new job (100% commision based which scares the living $hit out of me...)

anyways.....

What would be the ideal way to see/do as much as possible in these two weeks?

A trip to the Porsche Factory is a must on my list....do I have to make reservations?

Am I asking too much to visit more than 2 or 3 countries while over there?

On the list for sure...England, Germany and Italy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2003, 05:17 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

They are all within 100 miles of each other... its like driving thru the midwest. Every few hours your in a different country.

Think: train.

B
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 21 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Think Rent a exotic..

Go rent yourself a F40 for a week, only 3k!!

Seriously, you should rent a P-car or a sportscar of your choice.. hit the autobaun, take a long drive.. bring a digital camera with lots of memory cards.. then share the experience with us!!
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 21 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #4

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

If your in Italy the big exoctic manufacturers are all pretty close to each other.

Maserati is in Modena, Lamborghini’s factory is in Bologna and Ferarri in Maranello. Tours are limited and typically not open to general public, but Ferrri has a cool Museum. When I was outside the Ferrari factory an Enzo prototype flew by me - I was quick on the draw and got one of the early pictures of this car back in 2002.

Great mountain roads just outside Maranello all the way to the Italian coast. I chased a Lotus Elise in my rented 5 speed Opel Corsa down the mountians from Abatone to Maranello. A drive my wife wont ever let me forget!

Have a great time! I lover italy. The Tuscany region of Italy is a great place to spend time. Great hill towns outstanding food and wonderful people.
+Quote Post
74GoKart
post Jul 21 2003, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Hotlanta

Member No.: 76
Region Association: South East States

I'll second the train idea. I would suggest buying your train tickets in advance if you know your schedule.
I would think that 2-3 countries in a two week period would be about right. We tried to spend at least 4 days in each city. You should allow at least one day each for arriving/departing to deal with jet lag and to wind down before the ride home.
Try looking at the country's/city's online sites, and frommers.com to get a few ideas. You should be able to find some useful information about public transportation, events, sights, and online maps that will give you a good start.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I think Mike is a lot like Chevy Chase in "Vacation" He will stand at Stonehendge for about 3 minutes before it is time to go...

Everybody tried to get me to visit the crown jewels in London... BFD (big f-ing deal).. who cares.. show me the hot rod Porsche shops.

Go visit Ruf Mikey... piss on all the cool sites.. LOL

B
+Quote Post
cork
post Jul 21 2003, 06:47 PM
Post #7

ground zero

Member No.: 132

Have made 4 trips to europe, Rent a car, if you have a change of plans you won't be stuck on a train. What countries you visit your need a couple of maps for each one. I stayed in B&B's in England , France Belguim, they were great. My trips were centered around Military History, but in 98 made Lemans, at the time there was a 24hr motorcycle race going on, and Brandshatch , 2001 Spa and there was a porsche event going on. Europe is fun and never had any trouble.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 21 2003, 06:51 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

rent a porsche and get on the autobahn. you won't regret it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

just remember, the left lane is for going fast only!
take a good look in yer rearmirror before you change lanes and never ever try to pass on the right.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

oh, and one more thing, stoplights are always BEFORE you hit the intersection.
so drive all the way up to the stoplight.

Andy
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 21 2003, 07:36 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I don't think you 'murricans need to make reservations for a factory tour, but I heard they changed quite a bit on tour-planning, so better be safe than sorry...

This is the phone# you should call for the factory tour:
(+49)7119115384

Here's info for a hotel in downtown Stuttgart:
Hotel Dieter. In de Brennerstr. (+49) 7112599379.
60 euro a night, ex. breakfast (better to have breakfast in town)
(I haven't been to this hotel myself, so don't blame me if it's crappy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))

Or ask the people at Porsche for hotel recommendations.
There is a nice hotel at walking distance from the factory

When you're there and if the tour doesn't include it, don't forget to visit Werk 1 (across the road), this is the old factory building where you'll find the exclusive department and the service department for "special customers" (where they service and restore all the rare cars).
If they give you a hard time at the gate, tell them that you are there for "Ersatzteile" (replacement parts)

If you go to Stuttgart, you could also visit the Mercedes museum in Untertürkheim (it's really close)
You could also visit:
Gemballa in Leonberg. Mollenbachstr 17
Techart in Leonberg Röntgenstr 47
(Leonberg is about 10 miles from Stuttgart)

Try contacting Ruf as well.
I've never been there myself, but I hear they're nice to visitors.

If you have an idea when, let me know and I will see if there are any big events that would be fun.

You might also like to drive up to Gmund, where it all started. The old factory there is now a private musuem. The drive up there is supposed to be very nice (and it is the road that Porsche used as their "test track")

Lemme know if I can help you out on anything...

cheers,

Jeroen
ps A stop in the Netherlands is mandatory ofcourse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jul 21 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #10

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've made 3 trips to Europe so far - hoping to go back again next year. I've been to Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France. We've almost always had more than just 2 so we've driven. This has also worked well for us because we've wanted to go to small towns to visit places from our family history in Netherlands.

If I was going for 2 weeks, with just 2 of us, I'd get a train pass for the countries that I want to visit. I'd visit London and Paris on the way to Stuttgart. Even with 2 weeks, you'll be hard pressed to do much more and do any justice to any of it. I can't speak for London, but Paris is just made for walking. We stay at the Etap hotel out by Vincennes, then ride the metro in to the city center for the day. Everything you want to see is basically in the center of any European city.

Of course if you take the train, you miss the experience of driving in Europe. (I love driving in Europe.) Driving in big cities like Paris is crazy, not because of the traffic, but because you probably don't know where you are going. In addition, mass transit is so good and parking so difficult that you are nuts to drive in a big city.

A good compromise is to fly to London, take the train to Paris, then rent a car for the drive to Stuttgart. You get the convenience of watching the landscape go by where it makes sense (London to Paris), but also the convenience of a car which allows you to leave when you want instead of when the train leaves. (BTW, European trains are almost never late so don't figure you can slide into the station a couple of minutes late & still make your train.)

Mostly, go with an open mind and learn a little bit about the culture before you go so that you can not make a fool of yourself. I recommend reading Rick Steves' books so that you can learn how to not come across as a "stupid American tourist" that the locals refuse to talk to. Have fun!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 21 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #11

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I've probably spent a combined total of 2 years in Europe over the last 18 years. My favorite places are Rome and Paris. Rome/The Vatican is just incredible. For a two week trip I'd limit myself to 2-3 cities. Personally, I like to get to know a place a little. Leisurely lunches at a great cafe in Paris is much more fun to me that treking from touristy spot to touristy spot.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 21 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #12

Resident German

Müller, start pronouncing your last name right and no one (at least in germany) will think you're a "stupid American tourist".

haha, just tell them you came back to take over the world!!!

yepp, soon, the dancing banana will rule the world!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 22 2003, 04:43 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Here's some suggestions...

Fly US > London
The subways in London are great. They'll get you within walking distance of everything.
Places outside of downtown London to go visit are Greenwich Village and Camden Market
Do some of the tourist traps too. If you haven't been there before, you'll like them
Hotels are expensive and crappy, and so is the food, so don't say I didn't warn ya (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
No chance of getting drunk, cause the bars close at 11...

Fly from London to Amsterdam. It's only a 20 minute flight (you'll be hanging at the airport longer than you are actually flying).
I've seen oneway flights for as little as $40

We can pick you up from the airport and go visit Amsterdam (or you can take the train from the airport to downtown Amsterdam and go by yourselves)

Take the train to Paris. It's about a 4 to 5 hour ride.
In Paris you're on your own... dunno jack shit about Paris (nor do I care to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))

Rent a car and drive to Stuttgart. It's about 400 miles, and you'll enjoy the ride.
You'll be able to make good progress on the Autobahn.
Make sure you read up on european road-regulations, 'cause our "rules of engagement" are quite a bit different from yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

From Stuttgart, you can head down south to Italy. It's about 750 miles to Rome.
You could do a little detour to Gmund, just across the Austrian border.
Either way, make sure you get off the highway, for some very nice "canyon carving"
You'll enjoy the roads/scenery for sure.

Can't tell you much about Itally, cause I've never been there myself, but friends tell me it's nice and the people are friendly.

Try to fly from Italy back to the US

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Jul 23 2003, 06:08 AM
Post #14

English Member

Member No.: 144

Mike,

Visit the south coast when you're in England.

If you get 914 withdrawl symptoms you can help me adjust my webers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Then you'll need to take it for a drive to make sure it goes OK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
abm914
post Jul 23 2003, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 670

Mike

When are you going to Europe? There is the 914 International event in France in September and there is also a big Porsche Club (GB) meet at the end of August in Oxford, England.

Adam
+Quote Post
richardL
post Jul 24 2003, 03:49 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 201

Hey Adam (abm914),

Where is Surrey are you? I was born there and grew up on Epsom Downs - my Dad still lives there.

I was back there in April and then went onto Nurburgring - now theres somewhere for you to go Mike and see some REALLY flash cars. (PS: Borrow Jeroen's 911 and do a few laps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) )

I feel you need to decide what you want to achieve up front - a taste of each country? They vary so much from place to place. Or scenery? Mountains (the Alps are spectacular) or Sea (Monaco and the South Coast of France). Try cities - London, Paris and Amsterdam. Food - avoid London, go to small French towns, try the savoury pancakes in the Netherlands.

and on and on and on....

Richard
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 24 2003, 03:57 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Car rental???

Is it expensive? Can you take a car rented in X-country and drive it into z-country?

We plan on going to Europe the second week of Sept. (leave the US around the 6th or so)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 24 2003, 04:04 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Dunno if that's a problem... Try the bigger car-renters like Herz and what-not

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jul 24 2003, 05:17 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

drink all that good beer and toss on some lieder hosen.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 24 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #20

Resident German

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 24 2003, 04:17 PM)
drink all that good beer and toss on some lieder hosen.

i'm trying to picture Müller in lerderhosen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 02:18 AM