Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Vacation...what to do for 2 weeks??
tod914
post Jul 24 2003, 05:24 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

On second thought, just drink the beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post Jul 24 2003, 05:45 PM
Post #22

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

mike

my wife is a swiss national [the infamous miss mari ] and my vote would be to pass on england and hit italy germany and switzerland .you can use the fantastic trains or rent a car
we rented a audi a4 last trip and after a week took the car back .
all the comments about the food in italy are accurate and the way that the swiss and italian borders are handled make transition very easy .
ii would tend to settle in on area as a base and travle from there
also inquire with the locals about houses that rent rooms to save on accomadations
making friends with the locals and attempting to blend by using the local language no mater how bad your use of said lang . will by you a lot of mileage
the last time we were in switzerland we bought a total of 13 meals in a 3 week period just by making friends with the locs and developing street cred by always bringing a bottle of wine or some beer
im totaly envious , i wont get a vacation untill i do the dirt nap thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
have much fun

jt
+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post Jul 24 2003, 05:55 PM
Post #23

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

ps mikey

the pay deal for your wife wont be a problem as long as she is self motivated
i operate on 100% incentive pay and have doubled the size of my checks each quarter for 2 straight years
you have to fight for a good contract and sometimes put in a lot of time ,no different than owniing your own shop
i sold my biz to go to work for the people i work for now
at the time of sale we were doing mid 6 figures and the pay i was offered to join forces was about one half of what i was earning
i now net over twice that amount
still scary at the start though

have fun on vacation

jt
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jul 25 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #24

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Car rental is not really that bad. We've always make the arrangements in the U.S. so all we had to do is pick up the car and go. We've picked up in Paris and dropped off in Amsterdam. There's a fee, but it's cheaper than going back just to return the car.

You can drive from country x to country y, but there are some restrictions. A lot of companies won't let you drive to Italy or certain eastern European countries. It's not that you can't rent cars in those countries, you just can't rent elsewhere and drive to those countries.
+Quote Post
post Jul 25 2003, 01:56 AM
Post #25

Group:
Member No.: 0

Goto Monte Carlo. You will not regret that. The bus route takes you through the track layout, but in reverse. Fun to see the bus hit the apex at the hairpin. haha.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Anton
post Jul 25 2003, 03:51 AM
Post #26

Royal Orange

Member No.: 473

What is it you want? A holiday or a business trip? I get tired form reading all the suggestions alone... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

My advice would be to LIMIT your plans. The biggest mistake you Americans make is "to do Europe in a fortnight"! That way you miss out on everything and don't RELAX.
I go to Tuscany myself the last two week of august with, you guessed it, the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) Should you plan on going there that period, I might be able to meet you. We can talk 914 stuff or whatever. And have a beer (or two). Just let me know.
+Quote Post
post Jul 25 2003, 09:35 AM
Post #27

Group:
Member No.: 0

Definately goto London. It's great there. And you must see Stone Henge. Then take the TGV/Eurostar to Paris to hang out there. Goto the Luvre. (sp?). I really do recomend Monte Carlo for sure. Take the train to Nice, hang out there, then take the train to Monte Carlo, which is like a 10 minute ride. There are soooo many Ferrari flags there, haha.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 25 2003, 11:06 AM
Post #28

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i have to agree with Anton.
don't try to squeeze too much into a 2 week schedule.
spend some time in the places you go to ...

Andy
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Jul 25 2003, 11:15 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 564

There's always the Karmann factory in Oesnabruk. (sp?).

I hear they have quite a museum, but you have to call ahead a few weeks in advance to get permission to go in. I don't recall if they have any teeners, but I think they have some Karmann-produced 911 and 356-es. (as well as Karmann Ghias, of course!).

And if you go to England, skip Stonehenge. Really. There's many far better things to see in England than Stonehenge. There's actually a really neat little railway museum outside of London -> http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/ - - -I'm sure there's a ton of other railroad museums in the UK if you're into that sort of thing - I'm not, actually, but I was really impressed with the one in Didcot. And it's relatively close to London.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 05:11 PM