Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 3rd Brake Light
Puebloswatcop
post Mar 27 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey everyone,

I am looking for ideas from anyone who might have installed a third brake light on their 914. Specifically how the install was done and recommended lights themselves.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 26)
bbrock
post Mar 30 2021, 12:46 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914Toy @ Mar 30 2021, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 27 2021, 12:43 PM) *

Hey everyone,

I am looking for ideas from anyone who might have installed a third brake light on their 914. Specifically how the install was done and recommended lights themselves.

Thanks

FYI, this is my adoption of a 1980's Corvette third brake light, (someone else's idea and I was told it was also a late 944 Cabrio third brake light), bolted immediately forward of the grill. Bought it on Ebay.

That was my favorite for aesthetics when I was looking for a solution, although I would prefer a higher mount. Unfortunately, when I tried to find one on ebay, I learned they have gotten quite spendy. I wound up using a flexible motorcycle light bar for a super stealth approach.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1598835156.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1598835362.jpg)
+Quote Post
913B
post Mar 30 2021, 01:25 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 30 2021, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 27 2021, 12:43 PM) *

Hey everyone,

Thanks

FYI, this is my adoption of a 1980's Corvette third brake light, (someone else's idea and I was told it was also a late 944 Cabrio third brake light), bolted immediately forward of the grill. Bought it on Ebay.

That was my favorite for aesthetics when I was looking for a solution, although I would prefer a higher mount. Unfortunately, when I tried to find one on ebay, I learned they have gotten quite spendy. I wound up using a flexible motorcycle light bar for a super stealth approach.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1598835156.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1598835362.jpg)

@bbrock
Can we get a close up of the mounting if possible?
Looks like you mounted on the underside the chrome trim, but it is points rearward?
Does it distract you if you are looking in the rearview mirror and the light is on?

Thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Mar 30 2021, 03:38 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,245

I think I was the one who told you that. It does look identical to the third brake light attached to the trunk of my 944 S2 Cab.
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Mar 30 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #24

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I figure the Corvette brake light is the best option. I will install one on mine in a few weeks. It looks decent and does not detract from the car's look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 30 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(913B @ Mar 30 2021, 12:25 PM) *

@bbrock
Can we get a close up of the mounting if possible?
Looks like you mounted on the underside the chrome trim, but it is points rearward?
Does it distract you if you are looking in the rearview mirror and the light is on?

Thanks in advance.

Sure. There is also more detail on what I bought and how it is installed here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2847290

You are right. It is attached with 3M Trim Tape along the top edge so the front of the light points rearward. I put it under the aluminum trim so it would be visible to all the monster trucks running around here. Moving it farther under the targa bar makes it completely hidden unless you look up under, but not as visible to tall vehicles. Even where it is, most people won't notice it until the light comes on.

Attached Image

From inside the car, it is hidden by the roll bar pad unless you get low enough to look at it. I've had a windshield on order for almost a year now so don't have a mirror install for the final test, but the pic below is with the camera lens where the mirror would be. I'm 99% sure you won't see it at all in the mirror, but if some light does bleed, it can be easily fixed with some black tape or paint on the back and bottom of the bar without affecting the light that projects rearward. The back is already blacked out mostly but when you stare straight at it from the rear, You can see light duct around the edge of the lens on the back.

Oh, and the pic with the light on is actually just running light mode. The brake light is much brighter. It will definitely get attention.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
913B
post Mar 30 2021, 10:03 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

Thank you bbrock!!
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post May 21 2021, 07:07 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,258

Thanks everyone. I am looking at all the different options and now have to check availability, etc. I just don't want some ass-hat rear-ending my car after all the work put into it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 11:24 AM