Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd Brake Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Puebloswatcop
Hey everyone,

I am looking for ideas from anyone who might have installed a third brake light on their 914. Specifically how the install was done and recommended lights themselves.

Thanks
Tom_T
GoWesty 3rd Brake Light - works on our 914s too.

I've got one on our `88 Westy, & will probably put it on my 914 too whenever it's ready for the street.

Easy install on the Westy van, a bit more work to find the taillight wiring in the harness at the cabin or rear trunk near the rear window - then just as easy to install.

Easy to undo the install too, due to the adhesive attachment of the light to the rear window - which can be done at the bottom or top of the glass, but I'd suggest bottom just at the trunk/engine lid level.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23669/thi...ght-kit-led-?v=

BTW - our son ended up going CO/NG & Electrician Apprentice after leaving the 4th in Aug.`19 - & not SWAT, when we last talked.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2021, 01:12 PM) *

Thanks. Everytime I use the search function I seem to get one hundred pages of restoration threads and cant narrow down the par that has to do with what I am asking for....lol
Jett
I like the corvette third light option.
bbrock
Here's another recent link with a few additional installs:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...335411&st=0

FlacaProductions
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 28 2021, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2021, 01:12 PM) *

Thanks. Everytime I use the search function I seem to get one hundred pages of restoration threads and cant narrow down the par that has to do with what I am asking for....lol

try using this link and then enter your search criteria in the Google field:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari...wiz.oZyv-EBzX5Y
Tom_T
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 28 2021, 09:42 AM) *

I see no useful reason to include Mark's nasty post in your list Brian. Even Mark apologized for his "ghetto 914" comment. So I stand by my first call out on you Bri! shades.gif

Maybe think about members having other situations which get in the way of doing work on their 914s!? idea.gif

Tom
///////
barefoot
Although i can't find anything in the PET, I think 1976 was the first yr for all cars to have the high 3rd brake light. My 76 has one & it seems to be stock.
Cairo94507
No way a '76 914 came stock with a 3rd brake light. For some reason I want to think early '80's was 3rd brake light requirement.
Coondog
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 28 2021, 01:49 PM) *

Although i can't find anything in the PET, I think 1976 was the first yr for all cars to have the high 3rd brake light. My 76 has one & it seems to be stock.

1986 all new cars were required to have a 3rd brake light.
FlacaProductions
Hey @Tom_T - I humbly apologize for this and not really sure how my bookmark/link directed specifically to that post. I'll admit that I didn't totally read thru all those threads that came up on the google search before posting them and now I see how I stirred things up.

I thought i was just posting some quick links to get the OP started down a proper worm hole on this subject.

That's what I get for trying to help, I guess....I'll just go sit down over here.
wndsrfr
LED strips from local parts store tied into brake/turn signal....Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 28 2021, 03:11 PM) *

Hey @Tom_T - I humbly apologize for this and not really sure how my bookmark/link directed specifically to that post. I'll admit that I didn't totally read thru all those threads that came up on the google search before posting them and now I see how I stirred things up.

I thought i was just posting some quick links to get the OP started down a proper worm hole on this subject.

That's what I get for trying to help, I guess....I'll just go sit down over here.

Apology accepted Brian. I see that it may not have been your fault that it went to the later post, instead of to my OP in that topic.

PS - Apologies back at you for jumping the gun.

I'm not sure why the link that you put in there went to the 6th post, and not my 1st post, but may be a vagary of the software running this forum board's search function.

I think that you meant to link to the 1st post of my topic there - & not Mark's smart A remark at post #6 - which topic I started is actually about the same GoWesty 3rd Brake Light that I referenced above.

So here's a corrected link to the start of that GoWesty 3rd Brake Light Topic that I posted in 20015.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p=2129327&#

Note that the price for the GoWesty 3rd brake light has gone up a tad since my 2015 topic linked above.

It has worked well on our Westy van - being high up on the back, but can't say that it's categorically prevented any accidents. Before we got the 3rd brake light on the Westy, my wife was rear-ended at a stop light on a freeway off-ramp, but nothing since the light went on.

Click to view attachment

It's pretty low key installed, but I think that black foam double stick tape would've been even less obvious, but not sure if 3M makes double sided foam tape in black. Also, if you have to remove it, you can scrape & clean off the old foam tape, & then reapply new foam double sided tape from rolls available at any hardware, DIY, Walmart, Target, etc. store.

PS - from the inside it's a textured black housing - so very low key & would be in the 914 top or bottom of window too - plus the LED lightbar inside the housing pivots such that it works on any angle of glass with the light bar pivoting to face out. The Westy & most cars/etc. have a sloping out rear window - whereas our 914s back windows slope inward to reduce glare - & this pivoting light bar will adjust itself to be perpendicular to the line of sight.

Since the Vanagon & our 914s are both VW vehicles, this GoWesty light works the same on very similar design wiring harnesses. If you don't have a wiring harness diagram to do the install, then go to Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Harnesses website & look at the bottom of the main page for links to his various wiring diagrams, &/or at his Classic 914 website's documents section.

A word of warning to Brian/Puebloswatcop & others looking at adding any 3rd brake light solution - I'm not sure how effective any brake light would be on our 914s - they being so low already & outside of too many tall high profile vehicle driver's view.

I'm afraid that those inattentive SUV drivers will still miss our low slung 914s as they gab on their cellphones while sucking down a Slurpee! sad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
barefoot
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 28 2021, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 28 2021, 01:49 PM) *

What the heck, I was only off by 10 years, that's close for me. smile.gif
oakdalecurtis
When I'm trying to recall a date past, I think of the number of years that first pops into my mind and then I DOUBLE it to be close....
beerchug.gif

[/quote]

What the heck, I was only off by 10 years, that's close for me. smile.gif
[/quote]
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 27 2021, 05:10 PM) *

GoWesty 3rd Brake Light - works on our 914s too.

I've got one on our `88 Westy, & will probably put it on my 914 too whenever it's ready for the street.

Easy install on the Westy van, a bit more work to find the taillight wiring in the harness at the cabin or rear trunk near the rear window - then just as easy to install.

Easy to undo the install too, due to the adhesive attachment of the light to the rear window - which can be done at the bottom or top of the glass, but I'd suggest bottom just at the trunk/engine lid level.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23669/thi...ght-kit-led-?v=

BTW - our son ended up going CO/NG & Electrician Apprentice after leaving the 4th in Aug.`19 - & not SWAT, when we last talked.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hi Tom,

It has been awhile since our last talk. Hope everyone is doing well. Might be a better choice on your son's part, with all thats going on in law enforcement. I am in Texas now. all retired and settling into the new house we built.

Stay in touch

Kevin beerchug.gif
914Toy
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 27 2021, 12:43 PM) *

Hey everyone,

I am looking for ideas from anyone who might have installed a third brake light on their 914. Specifically how the install was done and recommended lights themselves.

Thanks

FYI, this is my adoption of a 1980's Corvette third brake light, (someone else's idea and I was told it was also a late 944 Cabrio third brake light), bolted immediately forward of the grill. Bought it on Ebay.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(914Toy @ Mar 30 2021, 07:55 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Thanks

FYI, this is my adoption of a 1980's Corvette third brake light, (someone else's idea and I was told it was also a late 944 Cabrio third brake light), bolted immediately forward of the grill. Bought it on Ebay.

Click to view attachment

That was my favorite for aesthetics when I was looking for a solution, although I would prefer a higher mount. Unfortunately, when I tried to find one on ebay, I learned they have gotten quite spendy. I wound up using a flexible motorcycle light bar for a super stealth approach.

IPB Image

IPB Image
913B
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 30 2021, 10:46 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Click to view attachment

That was my favorite for aesthetics when I was looking for a solution, although I would prefer a higher mount. Unfortunately, when I tried to find one on ebay, I learned they have gotten quite spendy. I wound up using a flexible motorcycle light bar for a super stealth approach.

IPB Image

IPB Image

@bbrock
Can we get a close up of the mounting if possible?
Looks like you mounted on the underside the chrome trim, but it is points rearward?
Does it distract you if you are looking in the rearview mirror and the light is on?

Thanks in advance.
AZBanks

I think I was the one who told you that. It does look identical to the third brake light attached to the trunk of my 944 S2 Cab.
pete-stevers
I figure the Corvette brake light is the best option. I will install one on mine in a few weeks. It looks decent and does not detract from the car's look. biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(913B @ Mar 30 2021, 12:25 PM) *

@bbrock
Can we get a close up of the mounting if possible?
Looks like you mounted on the underside the chrome trim, but it is points rearward?
Does it distract you if you are looking in the rearview mirror and the light is on?

Thanks in advance.

Sure. There is also more detail on what I bought and how it is installed here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2847290

You are right. It is attached with 3M Trim Tape along the top edge so the front of the light points rearward. I put it under the aluminum trim so it would be visible to all the monster trucks running around here. Moving it farther under the targa bar makes it completely hidden unless you look up under, but not as visible to tall vehicles. Even where it is, most people won't notice it until the light comes on.

Click to view attachment

From inside the car, it is hidden by the roll bar pad unless you get low enough to look at it. I've had a windshield on order for almost a year now so don't have a mirror install for the final test, but the pic below is with the camera lens where the mirror would be. I'm 99% sure you won't see it at all in the mirror, but if some light does bleed, it can be easily fixed with some black tape or paint on the back and bottom of the bar without affecting the light that projects rearward. The back is already blacked out mostly but when you stare straight at it from the rear, You can see light duct around the edge of the lens on the back.

Oh, and the pic with the light on is actually just running light mode. The brake light is much brighter. It will definitely get attention.

Click to view attachment
913B
Thank you bbrock!!
Puebloswatcop
Thanks everyone. I am looking at all the different options and now have to check availability, etc. I just don't want some ass-hat rear-ending my car after all the work put into it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.