Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My latest challenge. Here we go again., 72 restoration and conversion to a Subaru EZ30R engine.
rmarx
post Apr 13 2021, 10:29 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,784

Where's the beef? It's right here. Subaru EZ30R. 4 cam, variable cam on the intake, fly by wire throttle, individual exhaust ports for each cylinder as opposed to the one oval exhaust port on earlier motors. It should make about 280-300hp with the headers and stand alone management system.
Pictures of the radiator being mounted in the car. A few pictures of the shroud being made with my brake.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 13 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #22

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rmarx @ Apr 12 2021, 03:50 PM) *

Yes

Well that's that. If you aren't planning on AC you can 86 the comp & PS pump and relo the alt to center of engine (as others have done) thus allowing you to flip the intake. I like your approach to making the shroud. Good choice on the radiator. Did you need to purchase the fans separately of was it a package deal? Also, when you get to it post up the ECU and map you will be using. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 13 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2021, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(rmarx @ Apr 12 2021, 03:50 PM) *

Yes

Well that's that. If you aren't planning on AC you can 86 the comp & PS pump and relo the alt to center of engine (as others have done) thus allowing you to flip the intake. I like your approach to making the shroud. Good choice on the radiator. Did you need to purchase the fans separately of was it a package deal? Also, when you get to it post up the ECU and map you will be using. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The alt is already at the center. A future post will reveal. The fans came with the radiator.

I will be using ECU Master for the ECU. They seem to be set up for the vario cam and fly by wire throttle, and it's more affordable than some of the other products out there.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 14 2021, 10:44 AM
Post #24

I remove the dash pad and replaced the worn dash top with new material. A couple pictures of the car attending the WCR. It actually won an award for best patina. One picture shows the addition of a plastic dash top cover. Not the best solution, but it will do for now.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Apr 14 2021, 03:25 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,245
Region Association: Northern California

Looking great Bob.
Still I like the red patina trunk and fronk ... you paid for that . LOL
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 14 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I didn't see the 3.0 or 3.6 in their Base Maps section. Hopefully you'll provide more info for us Pilgrams as your build progresses. BTW, I'd never heard of them before. Thx for that info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 15 2021, 05:42 PM
Post #27

Here are pictures of the transmission I will be using. It is a 04 WRX 5speed. I had to fabricate a tool to lock the two shafts together so that I could remove an inner shaft bolt. I am missing the picture of the completed tool. What I did was cut two pieces of roll bar tubing, drilled holes in each piece to accommodate a rod that would hold it to the shaft. I used my tubing notcher to notch one end of each tube that would be welded to another piece of tubing that connects the two together. Pictures show the inner guts (shafts and gears) that were removed when converting the trans from four to two wheel drive. The final pictures show the new end plate that replaces the stock nose cone. If save about 5-6 inches in overall length of the trans while saving weight at the same time.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 15 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Probably a stupid question, but what is the shaft that comes through the new cover plate? And does it have a purpose or just kind of hang out?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Apr 15 2021, 08:24 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Mayne @ Apr 15 2021, 06:43 PM) *

Probably a stupid question, but what is the shaft that comes through the new cover plate? And does it have a purpose or just kind of hang out?

Not a stupid question at all...it's the shifter shaft that will be connected to the cable shifting mechanism.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 15 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 15 2021, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mayne @ Apr 15 2021, 06:43 PM) *

Not a stupid question at all...it's the shifter shaft that will be connected to the cable shifting mechanism.

That is correct. Thank you.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 16 2021, 10:40 AM
Post #31

One thing I noticed about these Subaru motors is that all the bolts are on there really tight. Case in point, while removing the flywheel bolts, I had to use all my strength to break them loose. I got the first five to loosen up, the the remaining three would not budge. They are a female torx type bolt. I snapped the tool in half while trying to loosen them up and ended up stripping them all. Thats when that sinking feeling starts to creep in knowing that it could be a really expensive solution to getting the remaining bolts off the crankshaft. I tried vise grips, thread extractors and heat all to no avail.
The heads of the flywheel bolts are round and smooth and it's hard to get a good angle to grip them.
Then I got an idea...
I went to the hardware store and bought some nuts with an internal diameter of the exterior diameter of the bolt head. I slid them over the bolt head and welded the nut to the bolt head. I then bought a new socket to match the nut diameter and proceeded to attempt to remove the stuck bolt.

It came out like butter.
I posted my solution to help anyone who might find themselves in a similar hopeless situation.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 16 2021, 04:54 PM
Post #32

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What a great idea, and I'm shocked nobody thought to do that before. I ended up cutting into one of mine once, and using a big flat-head screwdriver...cut and attached to a socket...attached to an impact driver.

Seems so obvious now.

Well done!
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 19 2021, 10:57 AM
Post #33

I started to make some plates for the trans cradle mount. A picture of them mounted. I installed the flywheel and started to unclutter the engine by removing the power steering pump and the AC compressor. I obtained and installed a nice aluminum turnbuckle to adjust the belt for the alternator.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 20 2021, 10:40 AM
Post #34

I was getting a little bored and decided to look into a small rust spot around the left front turn signal lens. I got out my heat gun and single edge razor blade holder and began to remove the paint surrounding the lens. What I found was that it really not the serious and easily repairable. The only problem was I couldn't stop myself and began to strip the entire car of it's "patina". Sometimes I get a little obsessive. I just can't help myself. I stripped the whole body, the front and rear trunks and the interior.
I found a picture of a car color I liked in a 2017 914 calendar. Does anyone know what color that is?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Apr 20 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Which flywheel did you go with?
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 20 2021, 12:33 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 20 2021, 10:59 AM) *

Which flywheel did you go with?

I don't remember. I got it from EBAY as a complete package. Flywheel, clutch, bearing, etc.
I will look to see if I still have the box. If so, I will post.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 20 2021, 12:43 PM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Rob's car maybe? ABM - Alaska blue metallic

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=352836

@rmarx
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 21 2021, 06:54 AM
Post #38

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2021, 02:43 PM) *

@rmarx

Yep...looks like Alaska Blue to me, too.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 21 2021, 10:48 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2021, 11:43 AM) *

@rmarx

Thank you for the reply. I love that color!
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 21 2021, 11:05 AM
Post #40

I removed the rockers to see what surprises lay ahead for me. I was happily surprised to find that they are both in great shape. The only repair needed will be to reweld the top of the jack receiver tube. After cleaning them up, they look quite good. I have been noticing a fuel smell every once in awhile. The picture shows the hose disconnected from the the tube. Perhaps that was the culprit. Very happy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:33 AM