Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mocal thermostat.., what fittings fit?
flesburg
post Jul 21 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,162

When we converted our DE car to a 6 and added oil lines etc., and I discovered the Hydraulic oil line guy that I described in the above notes, we located the oil tank, filter, cooler and thermostat all in the front trunk.

The attached picture shows where we mounted the thermostat, and the oil tank, filter and cooler. The oil lines you see are all dash 12 lines. The dash 16 line runs from the bottom of the oil tank back to the engine.

By the way, the cooler is a 25 row unit I found at Pegasus in Milwaukee, along with the oil filter (the canon unit), and the tank came from California somewhere.

We have run our car on the track in 90+ degree weather and have never had an oil temp reading go over 200 degrees. The tank holds 4 gallons of oil and I generally put in 3.5 gallons when I change it. It has been in the car since 1990, and knock on wood! The engine is a 3.2 unit that is virtually stock except for exaust and air cleaner.

The 3" orange hose is used for cooling air for the front brakes.

Good luck with placement of your thermostat and the lines.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 21 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #22

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (flesburg @ Jul 21 2005, 01:56 PM)
When we converted our DE car to a 6 and added oil lines ... we located the oil tank, filter, cooler and thermostat all in the front trunk.

IOW - it's a hot-weather car...

if you have the tank in the front, you pretty much have to pump the oil there.

but for a street car, especially one with the tank in the OEM location in the back, IMO it's not a good idea to run the thermostat close to the cooler. you have to pump the cold, thick oil all the way to the front, only to have it bypass the cooler and be pumped back to the tank. the thermostat should be close to the tank and engine.

i'm glad your solution is working for you in the limited circumstances in which it operates, but i don't think it's the best solution for a car with a tank in the factory location.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:28 PM