Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Valance question, deep 914/6 snow plow version vs shallow 914/4 version
DRPHIL914
post Apr 22 2021, 06:24 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i am getting a GT muffler from Ben and he is doing a GT3 twin center tip for me, so i want a non cutout valance. I am thinking about getting a 914/6 deep(snow plow) version

i was wondering if anyone else either with a 4 or 6 has done a custom center out and done this before, making their own custom valance for a tip like this.

any pictures of how the deeper valance looks would be cool too. '

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
silverg
post Apr 22 2021, 06:43 AM
Post #2

914s since March 1970

Member No.: 6,179
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Never liked the original rear valance on my 6 - felt like it held too much heat.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 22 2021, 07:09 AM
Post #3

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@DRPHIL914 - I think you will love the look and sound of the GT muffler on your car. As pretty as Ben's mufflers are, I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed. The deep valances would cover that beautiful muffler up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 22 2021, 09:42 AM
Post #4

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2021, 06:09 AM) *
@DRPHIL914 I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed.

Was working on this last night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 22 2021, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(silverg @ Apr 22 2021, 08:43 AM) *

Never liked the original rear valance on my 6 - felt like it held too much heat.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:09 AM) *

@DRPHIL914 - I think you will love the look and sound of the GT muffler on your car. As pretty as Ben's mufflers are, I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed. The deep valances would cover that beautiful muffler up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 22 2021, 11:42 AM) *

@DRPHIL914 I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed.

that is great input thanks guys! I had my current one modified like that for the outside outlet dual out Triad and fits perfect, is all metal, and you can see the bottom of the muffler like you are saying so that may be the way to go with this too.
I didnt think about the heat issue, i do think the deeper one would look cool but if you had an ugly muffler with cool tips, probably the way to go. i am leaning toward the shorter stock valance and modify. Maybe i can get Ben to do this, he is an excellent metal worker - Hey Ben!!!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 22 2021, 09:57 AM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 22 2021, 11:42 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) nice , is that going on your car? this is the idea, my muffler from Ben will have the tips closer together like GT3
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 22 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #7

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

No this is for a customers car. Still some (metal/finish) work to do.
This is to match one of Ben's mufflers as well.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 22 2021, 11:28 AM
Post #8

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

There is a lot of work to fit the deep Valance. Not sure where Eric bought this one but it was cut and refitted to make it right. They all seem to need work to fit right. Note that we changed the rear bumper out to a fresh 70 bumper that Oscar the man fixed me up with. A new bumper top as well. I just do not have a good picture of it.

Bob B
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 22 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 22 2021, 01:28 PM) *

There is a lot of work to fit the deep Valance. Not sure where Eric bought this one but it was cut and refitted to make it right. They all seem to need work to fit right. Note that we changed the rear bumper out to a fresh 70 bumper that Oscar the man fixed me up with. A new bumper top as well. I just do not have a good picture of it.

Bob B
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

nice,that looks great!
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Apr 22 2021, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Here is the WORST of both worlds..

A factory 6 rear valance cut down to look like later cars.
This was done around 1975, the same time the headlight
surrounds were painted black...

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Apr 22 2021, 01:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

There’s no plow like a snow plow.

It cleans the lines up but my only complaint is that it hides things too much.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elvira
post Apr 22 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #12

Mistress of the Dark

Member No.: 22,984
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 22 2021, 02:07 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No valance. Show off what you got. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
CHIZ 914
post Apr 22 2021, 02:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,118
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Apr 22 2021, 07:17 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,674

here is the center out rear valence I made from a fiberglass snowplow six valence. I built an exhaust with a dual center outlet very much like a GT3 look.

The ventilation grill is made from an engine decklid mesh grill. I made a tool to "joggle" the mesh so that it sits flush with the contour of the valence.

Cant find a picture of it mounted on the car. I have no data to compare the ventilated valence with a none ventilated one, but heating does not seem to be an issue.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I know some like the naked no valence look, I think the car looks totally unfinished without some type of rear valence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 22 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:17 PM) *

here is the center out rear valence I made from a fiberglass snowplow six valence. I built an exhaust with a dual center outlet very much like a GT3 look.

The ventilation grill is made from an engine decklid mesh grill. I made a tool to "joggle" the mesh so that it sits flush with the contour of the valence.

Cant find a picture of it mounted on the car. I have no data to compare the ventilated valence with a none ventilated one, but heating does not seem to be an issue.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I know some like the naked no valence look, I think the car looks totally unfinished without some type of rear valence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

@gereed75
i agree that the lines are better and it seems unfinished without, but at same time you hat to hide it too. that vented version seems best of both worlds. how did you bond the metal mesh to the fiberglass valance?
is it on your car now?
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Apr 22 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 15,674

bonded the mesh in with epoxy.

it is on the car. Dont think I have a decent picture. Ill get one tomorrow if interested.

I will be real curious to see how you like Ben's GT3 dual out let exhaust. I played with the muffler I built through a variety of internal baffling configurations in an attempt to eliminate the drone. Not successful, but I just live with it now because I love the sound level and look.

If ben has been able to build a twin outlet without drone I would definitely buy one. Did I mention I love the look?

Just checked your build thread and realize that your car is a four, so the drone problem wont be an issue for you.

Your car is gorgeous and I think you will like the GT3 look too!!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 22 2021, 08:22 PM
Post #18

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:17 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Most excellent dude!

I have a crappy fiberglass /6 valance, lots of epoxy and I need a new muffler soon.

Installed pics please! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 22 2021, 08:31 PM
Post #19

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 22 2021, 10:08 PM) *

bonded the mesh in with epoxy.

it is on the car. Dont think I have a decent picture. Ill get one tomorrow if interested.

I will be real curious to see how you like Ben's GT3 dual out let exhaust. I played with the muffler I built through a variety of internal baffling configurations in an attempt to eliminate the drone. Not successful, but I just live with it now because I love the sound level and look.

If ben has been able to build a twin outlet without drone I would definitely buy one. Did I mention I love the look?

Just checked your build thread and realize that your car is a four, so the drone problem wont be an issue for you.

Your car is gorgeous and I think you will like the GT3 look too!!

thanks for all the input and compliments, i left it alone for a while but realized there were things that could be better, and bothered me, so everyonce and a while i work on a few more little things, it i have wanted to try one of Ben’s mufflers. i hope you are right i don’t want a bad drone. the Triad didn’t have drone, but was just louder at highway speed and RPM that could wear on you on a long trip. i think this will be the best of both worlds... it certainly is a work in progress.
Yes i would love to see a picture of it on the car if you have time, .
+Quote Post
trick-e
post Apr 23 2021, 05:50 AM
Post #20

Still Learning

Member No.: 14,644
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Gereed75 I too am curious for a pic of it installed. I’d been thinking about a similar design for years, but would have merely cut horizontal slits into the valance. Yours looks much better. I also have an ivory so am eager. Cheers!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 04:39 PM