Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Valance question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914

i am getting a GT muffler from Ben and he is doing a GT3 twin center tip for me, so i want a non cutout valance. I am thinking about getting a 914/6 deep(snow plow) version

i was wondering if anyone else either with a 4 or 6 has done a custom center out and done this before, making their own custom valance for a tip like this.

any pictures of how the deeper valance looks would be cool too. '

Phil
silverg
Never liked the original rear valance on my 6 - felt like it held too much heat.
Cairo94507
@DRPHIL914 - I think you will love the look and sound of the GT muffler on your car. As pretty as Ben's mufflers are, I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed. The deep valances would cover that beautiful muffler up. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2021, 06:09 AM) *
@DRPHIL914 I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed.

Was working on this last night smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(silverg @ Apr 22 2021, 08:43 AM) *

Never liked the original rear valance on my 6 - felt like it held too much heat.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:09 AM) *

@DRPHIL914 - I think you will love the look and sound of the GT muffler on your car. As pretty as Ben's mufflers are, I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed. The deep valances would cover that beautiful muffler up. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 22 2021, 11:42 AM) *

@DRPHIL914 I would use a shorty valance modified to remove the outlet on the left and then add the outlets for the 2 pipes. I did that on my 2nd Six, homemade GT muffler because this was almost 30 years ago, and it looked sweet with the bottom of the muffler exposed.

that is great input thanks guys! I had my current one modified like that for the outside outlet dual out Triad and fits perfect, is all metal, and you can see the bottom of the muffler like you are saying so that may be the way to go with this too.
I didnt think about the heat issue, i do think the deeper one would look cool but if you had an ugly muffler with cool tips, probably the way to go. i am leaning toward the shorter stock valance and modify. Maybe i can get Ben to do this, he is an excellent metal worker - Hey Ben!!!!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 22 2021, 11:42 AM) *

piratenanner.gif nice , is that going on your car? this is the idea, my muffler from Ben will have the tips closer together like GT3
914werke
No this is for a customers car. Still some (metal/finish) work to do.
This is to match one of Ben's mufflers as well.
burton73
There is a lot of work to fit the deep Valance. Not sure where Eric bought this one but it was cut and refitted to make it right. They all seem to need work to fit right. Note that we changed the rear bumper out to a fresh 70 bumper that Oscar the man fixed me up with. A new bumper top as well. I just do not have a good picture of it.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 22 2021, 01:28 PM) *

There is a lot of work to fit the deep Valance. Not sure where Eric bought this one but it was cut and refitted to make it right. They all seem to need work to fit right. Note that we changed the rear bumper out to a fresh 70 bumper that Oscar the man fixed me up with. A new bumper top as well. I just do not have a good picture of it.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

nice,that looks great!
gandalf_025
Here is the WORST of both worlds..

A factory 6 rear valance cut down to look like later cars.
This was done around 1975, the same time the headlight
surrounds were painted black...

Click to view attachment

echocanyons
There’s no plow like a snow plow.

It cleans the lines up but my only complaint is that it hides things too much.
Elvira
Click to view attachment
mepstein
No valance. Show off what you got. beerchug.gif
CHIZ 914
biggrin.gif
gereed75
here is the center out rear valence I made from a fiberglass snowplow six valence. I built an exhaust with a dual center outlet very much like a GT3 look.

The ventilation grill is made from an engine decklid mesh grill. I made a tool to "joggle" the mesh so that it sits flush with the contour of the valence.

Cant find a picture of it mounted on the car. I have no data to compare the ventilated valence with a none ventilated one, but heating does not seem to be an issue.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I know some like the naked no valence look, I think the car looks totally unfinished without some type of rear valence. confused24.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:17 PM) *

here is the center out rear valence I made from a fiberglass snowplow six valence. I built an exhaust with a dual center outlet very much like a GT3 look.

The ventilation grill is made from an engine decklid mesh grill. I made a tool to "joggle" the mesh so that it sits flush with the contour of the valence.

Cant find a picture of it mounted on the car. I have no data to compare the ventilated valence with a none ventilated one, but heating does not seem to be an issue.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I know some like the naked no valence look, I think the car looks totally unfinished without some type of rear valence. confused24.gif

@gereed75
i agree that the lines are better and it seems unfinished without, but at same time you hat to hide it too. that vented version seems best of both worlds. how did you bond the metal mesh to the fiberglass valance?
is it on your car now?
gereed75
bonded the mesh in with epoxy.

it is on the car. Dont think I have a decent picture. Ill get one tomorrow if interested.

I will be real curious to see how you like Ben's GT3 dual out let exhaust. I played with the muffler I built through a variety of internal baffling configurations in an attempt to eliminate the drone. Not successful, but I just live with it now because I love the sound level and look.

If ben has been able to build a twin outlet without drone I would definitely buy one. Did I mention I love the look?

Just checked your build thread and realize that your car is a four, so the drone problem wont be an issue for you.

Your car is gorgeous and I think you will like the GT3 look too!!
Mark Henry

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Most excellent dude!

I have a crappy fiberglass /6 valance, lots of epoxy and I need a new muffler soon.

Installed pics please! pray.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 22 2021, 10:08 PM) *

bonded the mesh in with epoxy.

it is on the car. Dont think I have a decent picture. Ill get one tomorrow if interested.

I will be real curious to see how you like Ben's GT3 dual out let exhaust. I played with the muffler I built through a variety of internal baffling configurations in an attempt to eliminate the drone. Not successful, but I just live with it now because I love the sound level and look.

If ben has been able to build a twin outlet without drone I would definitely buy one. Did I mention I love the look?

Just checked your build thread and realize that your car is a four, so the drone problem wont be an issue for you.

Your car is gorgeous and I think you will like the GT3 look too!!

thanks for all the input and compliments, i left it alone for a while but realized there were things that could be better, and bothered me, so everyonce and a while i work on a few more little things, it i have wanted to try one of Ben’s mufflers. i hope you are right i don’t want a bad drone. the Triad didn’t have drone, but was just louder at highway speed and RPM that could wear on you on a long trip. i think this will be the best of both worlds... it certainly is a work in progress.
Yes i would love to see a picture of it on the car if you have time, .
trick-e
Gereed75 I too am curious for a pic of it installed. I’d been thinking about a similar design for years, but would have merely cut horizontal slits into the valance. Yours looks much better. I also have an ivory so am eager. Cheers!
Cairo94507
@gereed75 That is a really nice rear valance you came up with. I am in the camp of not liking the look of our cars w/o a rear valance- just looks unfinished to my eye. Your valance solves the big heat argument and still finishes the look of the car. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
gereed75
ok Glad you guys likee. Here are a couple of pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

was going for a kinda period correct 70's sport muff GT3 look
eric9144
@gereed75 first.gif wub.gif
That is awesome! I dig that you used the mesh from the engine lid to tie it in, well done!
Mark Henry
Wow your teen must be slammed! thumb3d.gif
GregAmy
I want this ^^^
gereed75
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 23 2021, 10:54 AM) *

Wow your teen must be slammed! thumb3d.gif

Low you mean?

Not particularly. Typical "street sport" i would say. Older pic with stock muff

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
This is a beautifully integrated upgrade! drooley.gif first.gif

You are inspiring me into doing something similar on my FG front LE valence. I always thought that the PMS fronts look very good!

One of PMS' car, not mine... rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
914andy
Very Nice !
Al Meredith
If the guys from Restoration Design are watching , They may want to look at offering a 914-6 rear valance . Maybe something that has no openings so we could modify to fit our own unique application.
mepstein
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Apr 23 2021, 11:52 AM) *

If the guys from Restoration Design are watching , They may want to look at offering a 914-6 rear valance . Maybe something that has no openings so we could modify to fit our own unique application.

I talked to Pete about it along with bumpers. It's a big commitment and not on their immediate list.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 23 2021, 10:46 AM) *

@gereed75 first.gif wub.gif
That is awesome! I dig that you used the mesh from the engine lid to tie it in, well done!

agree.gif
chowtime.gif
ok very nice! not sure i could pull this off myself but it may be worth a try. i am loving the center out twin pipes, cant wait to get mine from Ben!!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@gereed75
i agree that the lines are better and it seems unfinished without, but at same time you hat to hide it too. that vented version seems best of both worlds. how did you bond the metal mesh to the fiberglass valance?
is it on your car now?

@gereed75
question for you or anyone else that has done cutting and finish on the fiberglass valances, what did you use to cut your openings? and how did you finish it off paint and texture wise?? did you lightly buff to prep for primer or paint/texture bonding?

Phil
gereed75
Dremel is your friend. Cutoffs and sanding drums. It makes lots of dust. I use my shop vac as a dust collector while cutting. Wear a mask

No experience with the fit of the 914 rubber valence, but you probably want to pre- mount it to check for fit. Seems pretty much all glass stuff needs some massaging to fit well.

Hate to see you put a bunch of work in the finish only to have to go back and redo it if there are fitment issues.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 5 2021, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 22 2021, 09:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@gereed75
is it on your car now?

@gereed75
question for you or anyone else that has done cutting and finish on the fiberglass valances, what did you use to cut your openings? and how did you finish it off paint and texture wise?? did you lightly buff to prep for primer or paint/texture bonding?

Phil

Measure and lay out your whole job.
Use a holesaw for radiused corners.
Use a hacksaw blade or a one-handle hacksaw working from the finished side to
avoid splintered edges.
Wear a mask, wear glasses, wear gloves, wear long sleeves.
As for appearance I've favored the no valence look because that's how it was done
back then. There are some great ideas here and the 'look' is pretty cool too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.