Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HID headlights in the pods for Neo914, Pop-up headlights are not in the plans..
airsix
post Jul 21 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #21

I have bees in my epiglotis

Group: Members
Member No.: 266

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 21 2005, 10:59 AM)
I hate to be a wet blanket.. but how are you going to keep the factory 914 clear lenses from melting?????

It will be cool looking if it works!!!!

Those HIDs are 25w. There's a good chance they won't heat it too much. I'd still do a test with an old broken lens though - Clay might be right. I know a 10w HID will discolor a lexan cover if there isn't enough clearance (say an inch or so).

-Ben M.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Jul 21 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #22

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

that's tight! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif) stealthy.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 21 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #23

neo life

Member No.: 159

I hate to be a wet blanket.. but how are you going to keep the factory 914 clear lenses from melting?????

Those are the needling type of questions my wife complains about, are you an engineer? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

These are fully sealed units, except they have two rubber boots (you can see them in the pics) that are probably for vent. Worse case, I will run a small plastic tube to to airflow for ventilation. Heat pipes could be used as well. If Bruce molds the lenses, he should be able to find a more UV and heat resistance material. That or I will need extra sets to replace periodically, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

My first task is to package them and make them adjustable. The supplied mounts allow this but they need to be adapted to the bucket. Sealing will be next and then (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) to see if it can be done simpler...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 21 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #24

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Coolness! I have thought of a similar kind of thing, but hell, I ain't done nuthin'.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M!
+Quote Post
guywan914
post Jul 21 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,112

Yes very interesting indeed! I too have had the same plan but not the time to work on it. Definately keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 22 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hate to ask, but...
what are you gonna use for indicators?

why don't you mount them in the headlight buckets and use a flush mounted piece of lexan instead of the stock headlight door
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 22 2005, 02:15 AM
Post #27

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

The trial lens will be in the mail next week to see if they will stand up against the heat.

What I did was fill the test lens that Felix sent me with a clear UV stable material that I have been experimenting with. It should fill the fluted interior and create a smooth look to the lens. Also it should strengthen the existing lens to withstand the heat. This is the first test to see if it works.

To create a new style lens with the characteristics that Felix described in his emails to me. I will have to create a mold of the exterior of the lens and then a new style interior mold of the filled lens.

To do the exterior portion is the easy part. All I need is a perfect copy of a lens to create it.

The interior is the hard part. Any imperfections are duplicated when you make a mold. So filing the flutes away might not be possible. A CNC machine with mapping capabilities would be perfect. Create a new smooth interior out of metal and then cast the mold from that.

The following picture is of the sample foglight lens I made from the new material.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 22 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #28

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Jul 21 2005, 04:52 PM)

Those are the needling type of questions my wife complains about, are you an engineer? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

These are fully sealed units, except they have two rubber boots (you can see them in the pics) that are probably for vent. Worse case, I will run a small plastic tube to to airflow for ventilation. Heat pipes could be used as well. If Bruce molds the lenses, he should be able to find a more UV and heat resistance material. That or I will need extra sets to replace periodically, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

My first task is to package them and make them adjustable. The supplied mounts allow this but they need to be adapted to the bucket. Sealing will be next and then (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) to see if it can be done simpler...

Does an MCSE count as a 'real' engineer????

Actually I am what my grandfather called a "jackleg engineer". That means that I can build stuff, but don't ask me to make drawings of how I did it. My father is a retired automtoive engineer, so I may have picked up some of his habits over the years.

I am following this thread to see if it works. It will be really cool if it does.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 22 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #29

neo life

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 21 2005, 11:50 PM)
Hate to ask, but...

why don't you mount them in the headlight buckets and use a flush mounted piece of lexan instead of the stock headlight door

I answered both of those questions...

1. mount indicators at Euro running lights, add mirror lights (they are like SPA copies)

2. My Boxster radiators will take up that room and covered lights don't have a modern look IMHO
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 22 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #30

neo life

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 22 2005, 03:50 AM)

Does an MCSE count as a 'real' engineer????

Actually I am what my grandfather called a "jackleg engineer". That means that I can build stuff, but don't ask me to make drawings of how I did it. My father is a retired automtoive engineer, so I may have picked up some of his habits over the years.

I am following this thread to see if it works. It will be really cool if it does.

I like that name "jackleg".

It will work for my purposes, it's plug and play after I sort out the mounting. I'm not worried about the optics. I will mount another, at least the fog version in the bumper if need be.

Felix
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 28 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #31

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Here's the lens filled. You can slightly see the ribs still and there must have been a bit of loose paper in the chamber. It's is imbedded in the material. In the mail back to you in the PM to test.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 28 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #32

neo life

Thanks Bruce! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 29 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #33

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

interesting (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

what you want is "optically" clear plastic (polycarbonate or acrylic)....when bent/formed the light rays are not "bent" or diffussed too much (fighter pilot cockpit or bubble of a helicopter)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 29 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #34

neo life

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 28 2005, 10:03 PM)
interesting (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

what you want is "optically" clear plastic (polycarbonate or acrylic)....when bent/formed the light rays are not "bent" or diffussed too much (fighter pilot cockpit or bubble of a helicopter)

True:
I've seen how "craftsman" fix distorted jet plane canopies under an optical grid. "Clear enough" is good for this application.

We're working with what's readily available and building proof of concept first...taking it to production worthy is another big step.

"Concept" car allows all the waivers. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 31 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #35

neo life

QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jul 21 2005, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Jul 21 2005, 03:10 AM)
QUOTE (sj914 @ Jul 20 2005, 11:53 PM)
I thought you couldn't cover your headlights with a lense unless it came that way.

Legal? We'll see if they figure it out...

I've done some research...

and there will be more development

That is weak.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Thom

Haven't found anything here to get me in legal trouble, the bottom of the signal lense is 22". Besides, I will make them look "factory". Maybe NHTSA has more restrictions..

Vehicle Code
Headlamps on Motor Vehicles
24400. (a) During darkness, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) This section shall become inoperative on July 1, 2005, and, as of January 1, 2006, is repealed, unless a later enacted statute that is enacted before January 1, 2006, deletes or extends the dates on which it becomes inoperative and is repealed.
Amended Ch. 13, Stats. 1991. Effective February 13, 1991.
Amended and repealed Sec. 1, Ch. 415, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005. Repeal operative January 1, 2006.
The 2004 amendment added the italicized material.
NOTE: The preceding section becomes inoperative on July 1, 2005, at which time the following section becomes operative. The preceding section is repealed January 1, 2006.
24400. (a) During darkness and inclement weather, a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) As used in subdivision (a), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:
(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.
(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.
© This section shall become operative on July 1, 2005.
Added Sec. 2, Ch. 415, Stats. 2004. Effectve January 1, 2005. Operative July 1, 2005.

Vehicle Code
Use of Multiple Beams24409. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated during darkness, the driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to the following requirements and limitations:(a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light specified in this article shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times regardless of road contour. ((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 300 feet to the rear, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light specified in this article.Amended Ch. 37, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

Vehicle Code

Upper and Lower Beam24407. Multiple-beam road lighting equipment shall be designed and aimed as follows: (a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all conditions of loading. ((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead. On a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver. Amended Ch. 547, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 31 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #36

neo life

Strange, these smilies ((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) = B in parenthesis

For anyone researching alternatives, this is good data. Check out the parent directory too. Headlamp Design
+Quote Post
sj914
post Jul 31 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 1,053

QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Jul 30 2005, 10:55 PM)

Thom [/QUOTE]
Haven't found anything here to get me in legal trouble, the bottom of the signal lense is 22". Besides, I will make them look "factory". Maybe NHTSA has more restrictions..

Vehicle Code
24400. (a) During darkness, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) This section shall become inoperative on July 1, 2005, and, as of January 1, 2006, is repealed, unless a later enacted statute that is enacted before January 1, 2006, deletes or extends the dates on which it becomes inoperative and is repealed.
Amended and repealed Sec. 1, Ch. 415, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005. Repeal operative January 1, 2006.
NOTE: The preceding section becomes inoperative on July 1, 2005, at which time the following section becomes operative. The preceding section is repealed January 1, 2006.
24400. (a) During darkness and inclement weather, a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) As used in subdivision (a), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:
(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.
(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.
Added Sec. 2, Ch. 415, Stats. 2004. Effectve January 1, 2005. Operative July 1, 2005.

Felix,
Can you give a link to wear this info about the headlight requirements being taken out or modified.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 31 2005, 02:59 AM
Post #38

neo life

QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Jul 22 2005, 07:25 AM)
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 21 2005, 11:50 PM)
Hate to ask, but...

I answered both of those questions...

1. mount indicators at Euro running lights, add mirror lights (they are like SPA copies)

2. My Boxster radiators will take up that room and covered lights don't have a modern look IMHO

Here are my mirrors/additional indicators...
The shape is not too "aero" or rounded. The mount will also serve as the corner filler where the front rail "can" be mounted on the door. There is method to the madness....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 31 2005, 03:10 AM
Post #39

neo life

QUOTE (sj914 @ Jul 31 2005, 12:57 AM)
[QUOTE=Neo914-6,Jul 30 2005, 10:55 PM]
Thom [/QUOTE]

Vehicle Code

[/QUOTE]
Felix,
Can you give a link to wear this info about the headlight requirements being taken out or modified.

Vehicle code can be found here
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 31 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #40

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 22 2005, 07:50 AM)
Actually I am what my grandfather called a "jackleg engineer". That means that I can build stuff, but don't ask me to make drawings of how I did it.

Heh! Coolness! I am something of a renaissance jackleg.

M
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:58 PM