Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Roll bar trim, Sources
Jim C
post Apr 28 2021, 06:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,294
Region Association: Southwest Region

I want to replace the trim pieces on the back of the roll bar (sail). I have found the two curved side pieces from vendors, but I can't find a source for the straight piece that runs along the top. Does anyone know of a source for this piece?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 15)
mepstein
post Apr 28 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't believe anyone makes a reproduction. They rarely get damaged so it's not hard to find a used one.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 28 2021, 07:06 AM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 05:47 AM) *

I want to replace the trim pieces on the back of the roll bar (sail). I have found the two curved side pieces from vendors, but I can't find a source for the straight piece that runs along the top. Does anyone know of a source for this piece?

I have aeveral of them. I can pick out the best one and post a picture. Do you need the clips?

@Jim C

+Quote Post
Jim C
post Apr 28 2021, 07:15 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 28 2021, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 05:47 AM) *

I have aeveral of them. I can pick out the best one and post a picture. Do you need the clips?

@Jim C

That would be great. Mine somehow managed to get a large deep scratch over the years. I do need the clips.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 28 2021, 10:23 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Jim -

If you want a new one - then Porsche Classic is making them again - contact your local/closest Porsche Classic P-dealer with the part number & order it.

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...1258432002C053D

Sunset Porsche in OR, Suncoast Porsche in FL, & Hennessey Porsche in GA may give you the best pricing, if you want to have it shipped.

This is also a heads-up for all the CWs out there that this & a bunch of other 914 parts are out & more coming from Porsche Classic, if you look further around from that link above! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Apr 28 2021, 10:26 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Jim -

If you want a new one - then Porsche Classic is making them again - contact your local/closest Porsche Classic P-dealer with the part number & order it.

Sunset Porsche in OR, Suncoast Porsche in FL, & Hennessey Porsche in GA may give you the best pricing, if you want to have it shipped.

This is also a heads-up for all the CWs out there that this & a bunch of other 914 parts are out & more coming from Porsche Classic, if you look further around from that link above! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Tom
///////

Thanks. Heard there were some fitment problems with the Porsche part.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 28 2021, 10:58 AM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 08:26 AM) *

Jim -

Tom
///////

I've not heard that Jim, from the resto shops using it.

It's the same part as the original from the original dies from what I've heard.

If theirs doesn't fit, it is returnable for exchange or refund.

I think it's more likely the person with fitment problems had and assembly problem, &/or their 914's body was out of square, & not properly straightened on a Cellette Bench.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 28 2021, 11:50 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Jim -

Tom
///////

The vertical targa trim/rear sail panel is not quite the same. Unfortunate for what they charge. A lot of Porsche classic parts are sourced from non original suppliers and look similar but not the same. Same with Dansk replacement metal.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 28 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #9

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

I had looked into making these but tooling was close to 50k. So backed out. You can do for less offshore but tooling is still not cheap (much less), and your gamboling with about 10k, hoping they don't decide to sell themselves. That and it may not be as exact as you would like. Sound familiar.
+Quote Post
aharder
post Apr 28 2021, 01:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524

Check with Sierra Mandre

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-moldings-c813/
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Apr 28 2021, 02:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

wrong part
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 28 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #12

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 09:26 AM) *

Jim -

Tom
///////

Cost is $242. For that price you can get several used ones polished and anodized.

@"Jim C'"
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Apr 28 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,589

Believe it or not, I ordered one recently from O'Reily Auto Parts, yes a FLAPS! Can't remember the cost but was extremely reasonable and no shipping as I picked it up right there in the store. I had almost given up on ever finding that piece.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Apr 28 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,419

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2021, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Jim -

Tom
///////

The vertical targa trim/rear sail panel is not quite the same. Unfortunate for what they charge. A lot of Porsche classic parts are sourced from non original suppliers and look similar but not the same. Same with Dansk replacement metal.

Mark is correct. I bought all three. Two sail pieces (vertical) and the piece above the rear window (horizontal). The right side vertical was just okay. The left was terrible. It wouldn’t even fit on the vehicle because the curve was all wrong. My stock was fine, just painted. The horizontal piece fit a little snug but the finish right out of the box wasn’t great. It was packaged fine but there are fine scratches that look like they weren’t polished out well enough before anodizing.
+Quote Post
JamesJ
post Apr 28 2021, 06:46 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 24,202
Region Association: Northern California

The SMC targa top center molding is made by URO Parts. I recently purchased one and it fit perfectly for me. It is not anodized, and did have some slight scratches, probably from manufacturing or rubbing during shipping. A few passes of White Diamond Metal Polish with a new microfiber cleaning towel and it came out beautiful.
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Apr 29 2021, 07:27 AM
Post #16

Thanks for all the suggestions!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:49 PM