Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll bar trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jim C
I want to replace the trim pieces on the back of the roll bar (sail). I have found the two curved side pieces from vendors, but I can't find a source for the straight piece that runs along the top. Does anyone know of a source for this piece?
mepstein
I don't believe anyone makes a reproduction. They rarely get damaged so it's not hard to find a used one.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 05:47 AM) *

I want to replace the trim pieces on the back of the roll bar (sail). I have found the two curved side pieces from vendors, but I can't find a source for the straight piece that runs along the top. Does anyone know of a source for this piece?

I have aeveral of them. I can pick out the best one and post a picture. Do you need the clips?

@Jim C

Jim C
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 28 2021, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 05:47 AM) *

I have aeveral of them. I can pick out the best one and post a picture. Do you need the clips?

@Jim C

That would be great. Mine somehow managed to get a large deep scratch over the years. I do need the clips.
Tom_T
Jim -

If you want a new one - then Porsche Classic is making them again - contact your local/closest Porsche Classic P-dealer with the part number & order it.

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...1258432002C053D

Sunset Porsche in OR, Suncoast Porsche in FL, & Hennessey Porsche in GA may give you the best pricing, if you want to have it shipped.

This is also a heads-up for all the CWs out there that this & a bunch of other 914 parts are out & more coming from Porsche Classic, if you look further around from that link above! type.gif shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jim C
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Jim -

If you want a new one - then Porsche Classic is making them again - contact your local/closest Porsche Classic P-dealer with the part number & order it.

Sunset Porsche in OR, Suncoast Porsche in FL, & Hennessey Porsche in GA may give you the best pricing, if you want to have it shipped.

This is also a heads-up for all the CWs out there that this & a bunch of other 914 parts are out & more coming from Porsche Classic, if you look further around from that link above! type.gif shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks. Heard there were some fitment problems with the Porsche part.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 08:26 AM) *

Jim -

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I've not heard that Jim, from the resto shops using it.

It's the same part as the original from the original dies from what I've heard.

If theirs doesn't fit, it is returnable for exchange or refund.

I think it's more likely the person with fitment problems had and assembly problem, &/or their 914's body was out of square, & not properly straightened on a Cellette Bench.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Jim -

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The vertical targa trim/rear sail panel is not quite the same. Unfortunate for what they charge. A lot of Porsche classic parts are sourced from non original suppliers and look similar but not the same. Same with Dansk replacement metal.
Mikey914
I had looked into making these but tooling was close to 50k. So backed out. You can do for less offshore but tooling is still not cheap (much less), and your gamboling with about 10k, hoping they don't decide to sell themselves. That and it may not be as exact as you would like. Sound familiar.
aharder
Check with Sierra Mandre

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-moldings-c813/
pilothyer
wrong part
bdstone914
QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 09:26 AM) *

Jim -

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Cost is $242. For that price you can get several used ones polished and anodized.

@"Jim C'"
Ansbacher
Believe it or not, I ordered one recently from O'Reily Auto Parts, yes a FLAPS! Can't remember the cost but was extremely reasonable and no shipping as I picked it up right there in the store. I had almost given up on ever finding that piece.

Ansbacher
Rob-O
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2021, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Jim C @ Apr 28 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Jim -

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The vertical targa trim/rear sail panel is not quite the same. Unfortunate for what they charge. A lot of Porsche classic parts are sourced from non original suppliers and look similar but not the same. Same with Dansk replacement metal.

Mark is correct. I bought all three. Two sail pieces (vertical) and the piece above the rear window (horizontal). The right side vertical was just okay. The left was terrible. It wouldn’t even fit on the vehicle because the curve was all wrong. My stock was fine, just painted. The horizontal piece fit a little snug but the finish right out of the box wasn’t great. It was packaged fine but there are fine scratches that look like they weren’t polished out well enough before anodizing.
JamesJ
The SMC targa top center molding is made by URO Parts. I recently purchased one and it fit perfectly for me. It is not anodized, and did have some slight scratches, probably from manufacturing or rubbing during shipping. A few passes of White Diamond Metal Polish with a new microfiber cleaning towel and it came out beautiful.
Jim C
Thanks for all the suggestions!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.