Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slant Nose / Slope Nose 914, Anybody know the origins?
Craigers17
post May 21 2021, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

I recently came across this car on The Samba:

Attached Image

....it's one of the few slant nose 914's that I've seen that I think is pretty well done. Personally not a huge fan of the Chalon slant nose kit. That said, I wondered if anyone can "school me" on the origins of the 914 slant nose fenders/front end.... was this an 80's kit...fiberglass ???....steel??? Both??? Who made it?, etc? While doing a little research, I did find this in an old classifieds ad:

Attached Image

I'm like 99.3.14159265359 % sure that Porsche never made a factory slant nose 914, but I know they did make a slant nose 911...which I've always liked. And, apparently, there was somewhat of an advantage from an aerodynamics perspective from the slanted design. Of course, this is probably more noticeable when you have 325 HP rather than 90 or so. I pulled the following off Wikipedia:

"Porsche offered a "Flachbau" ("flatnose" or "slantnose") 930 under the "Sonderwunschprogramm" (special order program) from 1986 model year, an otherwise normal 930 with a 935-style slantnose instead of the normal 911 front end with the replacement of the famous "bug eye" headlamps with pop-up units.[10]

Each Flachbau unit was handcrafted by remodeling the front fenders (option code M505 for the US and M506 elsewhere). A limited number of units were produced due to the fact that the package commanded a high premium price, an initial premium of up to 60 per cent (highly individualised cars requiring even more) over the standard price. 948 units were built in total with 160 of them being imported to the US. The Flachbau units delivered in Europe usually featured the 330 PS (243 kW; 325 hp) WLS performance kit. The flat nose greatly contributed to the aerodynamics of the car and enabled it to accelerate from 0–97 km/h in 4.85 seconds and attain a top speed of 278 km/h (173 mph) (figures with the performance kit)."

Attached Image

Anyhow ....I just wondered if anybody had any additional info on the 914 Slant Nose. I'm sure many of you will ask ....Why?..... if nothing else it's something to B.S. about for a while.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 21 2021, 04:16 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Porsche never made a slope 914.
Those fenders look like steel, I'm sure if you stripped them you would see how they custom welded them up. A couple companies like Rayco and Beach Boys used to make F/G slope nose fenders, I don't think anyone does them now.

I know where there's a full never installed Rayco kit that can be had cheap, shipping will cost more than the kit.

You won't find many fans of that look here.
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 21 2021, 08:34 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 21 2021, 03:16 AM) *

Porsche never made a slope 914.
Those fenders look like steel, I'm sure if you stripped them you would see how they custom welded them up. A couple companies like Rayco and Beach Boys used to make F/G slope nose fenders, I don't think anyone does them now.

I know where there's a full never installed Rayco kit that can be had cheap, shipping will cost more than the kit.

You won't find many fans of that look here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Most were done in the 80’s when slant nose Porsche's were all the rage. They would take stock steel fenders and just flatten them and weld them up. Not a fan either, but with the 75-76 big ugly bumpers (bub), they don’t look bad, since the rubber bumpers go to a point versus the flat chrome bumpers.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post May 21 2021, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

This one belongs to friend, not bad looking.

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post May 21 2021, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,901
Region Association: None

I know the previous owner of this car. His brother did the work all in steel at his paint shop in Arizona.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 21 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The origin? Somebody crashed their 914 and messed up the front. Rather than repairing it back to stock, they looked around at all of the "slope nose" 935-wannabe 911s and decided to ape that look. Depending on the damage, it was probably cheaper than fixing it properly anyway.

--DD
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post May 22 2021, 01:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

Thanks all for the feedback, ....as I previously stated, I'm not a huge fan of the look either, but I like the black car. I'm not hating that white car either....I agree.... pretty well done!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 07:25 AM