Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slant Nose / Slope Nose 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I recently came across this car on The Samba:

Click to view attachment

....it's one of the few slant nose 914's that I've seen that I think is pretty well done. Personally not a huge fan of the Chalon slant nose kit. That said, I wondered if anyone can "school me" on the origins of the 914 slant nose fenders/front end.... was this an 80's kit...fiberglass ???....steel??? Both??? Who made it?, etc? While doing a little research, I did find this in an old classifieds ad:

Click to view attachment

I'm like 99.3.14159265359 % sure that Porsche never made a factory slant nose 914, but I know they did make a slant nose 911...which I've always liked. And, apparently, there was somewhat of an advantage from an aerodynamics perspective from the slanted design. Of course, this is probably more noticeable when you have 325 HP rather than 90 or so. I pulled the following off Wikipedia:

"Porsche offered a "Flachbau" ("flatnose" or "slantnose") 930 under the "Sonderwunschprogramm" (special order program) from 1986 model year, an otherwise normal 930 with a 935-style slantnose instead of the normal 911 front end with the replacement of the famous "bug eye" headlamps with pop-up units.[10]

Each Flachbau unit was handcrafted by remodeling the front fenders (option code M505 for the US and M506 elsewhere). A limited number of units were produced due to the fact that the package commanded a high premium price, an initial premium of up to 60 per cent (highly individualised cars requiring even more) over the standard price. 948 units were built in total with 160 of them being imported to the US. The Flachbau units delivered in Europe usually featured the 330 PS (243 kW; 325 hp) WLS performance kit. The flat nose greatly contributed to the aerodynamics of the car and enabled it to accelerate from 0–97 km/h in 4.85 seconds and attain a top speed of 278 km/h (173 mph) (figures with the performance kit)."

Click to view attachment

Anyhow ....I just wondered if anybody had any additional info on the 914 Slant Nose. I'm sure many of you will ask ....Why?..... if nothing else it's something to B.S. about for a while.

biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Porsche never made a slope 914.
Those fenders look like steel, I'm sure if you stripped them you would see how they custom welded them up. A couple companies like Rayco and Beach Boys used to make F/G slope nose fenders, I don't think anyone does them now.

I know where there's a full never installed Rayco kit that can be had cheap, shipping will cost more than the kit.

You won't find many fans of that look here.
Steve
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 21 2021, 03:16 AM) *

Porsche never made a slope 914.
Those fenders look like steel, I'm sure if you stripped them you would see how they custom welded them up. A couple companies like Rayco and Beach Boys used to make F/G slope nose fenders, I don't think anyone does them now.

I know where there's a full never installed Rayco kit that can be had cheap, shipping will cost more than the kit.

You won't find many fans of that look here.

agree.gif
Most were done in the 80’s when slant nose Porsche's were all the rage. They would take stock steel fenders and just flatten them and weld them up. Not a fan either, but with the 75-76 big ugly bumpers (bub), they don’t look bad, since the rubber bumpers go to a point versus the flat chrome bumpers.
Olympic 914
This one belongs to friend, not bad looking.

Click to view attachment
garrettlee2
I know the previous owner of this car. His brother did the work all in steel at his paint shop in Arizona.
Dave_Darling
The origin? Somebody crashed their 914 and messed up the front. Rather than repairing it back to stock, they looked around at all of the "slope nose" 935-wannabe 911s and decided to ape that look. Depending on the damage, it was probably cheaper than fixing it properly anyway.

--DD
Craigers17
Thanks all for the feedback, ....as I previously stated, I'm not a huge fan of the look either, but I like the black car. I'm not hating that white car either....I agree.... pretty well done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.