Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cradle Weld Technique?, Rear Trans Support
FL000
post May 23 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

I have decided to make a cradle to support my engine and trans, well more for the trans. SBC engine and Audi 01E trans.

Engine already has the Renegade Hybrids support and I plan to run two 1.5” x 0.120 round tube perpendicular to the back to tie into the factory trans mount supports.

Most of the designs I see here use a tee weld of sorts, or fillet if I have my terminology correct. Basically tube meets flat plate and it is welded together.

I am not an experienced welder by any means, but I wonder if cutting a hole in the plate to allow the pipe to pass through, and welding on both top and bottom is preferred?

Good idea? Overkill, bad idea?

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 23 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(FL 000 @ May 23 2021, 08:06 AM) *

I have decided to make a cradle to support my engine and trans, well more for the trans. SBC engine and Audi 01E trans.

Engine already has the Renegade Hybrids support and I plan to run two 1.5” x 0.120 round tube perpendicular to the back to tie into the factory trans mount supports.

Most of the designs I see here use a tee weld of sorts, or fillet if I have my terminology correct. Basically tube meets flat plate and it is welded together.

I am not an experienced welder by any means, but I wonder if cutting a hole in the plate to allow the pipe to pass through, and welding on both top and bottom is preferred?

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

That would help for sure strength wise. Typical weld interface is 30% so your suggestion will help stiffen that joint versus just a levered effect.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 23 2021, 11:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

QUOTE(FL 000 @ May 23 2021, 09:06 AM) *

That should be good size tubing for what you are doing, it’s possible you could go .090 but the peanut gallery would know better. Cutting a hole and welding from both sides isn’t necessary. With good penetration you wont have issues. Of course it all depends on your design. A good drawing would be good so we can help you the best!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:04 AM