Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cradle Weld Technique?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FL000
I have decided to make a cradle to support my engine and trans, well more for the trans. SBC engine and Audi 01E trans.

Engine already has the Renegade Hybrids support and I plan to run two 1.5” x 0.120 round tube perpendicular to the back to tie into the factory trans mount supports.

Most of the designs I see here use a tee weld of sorts, or fillet if I have my terminology correct. Basically tube meets flat plate and it is welded together.

I am not an experienced welder by any means, but I wonder if cutting a hole in the plate to allow the pipe to pass through, and welding on both top and bottom is preferred?

Good idea? Overkill, bad idea?

Thanks sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
mb911
QUOTE(FL 000 @ May 23 2021, 08:06 AM) *

I have decided to make a cradle to support my engine and trans, well more for the trans. SBC engine and Audi 01E trans.

Engine already has the Renegade Hybrids support and I plan to run two 1.5” x 0.120 round tube perpendicular to the back to tie into the factory trans mount supports.

Most of the designs I see here use a tee weld of sorts, or fillet if I have my terminology correct. Basically tube meets flat plate and it is welded together.

I am not an experienced welder by any means, but I wonder if cutting a hole in the plate to allow the pipe to pass through, and welding on both top and bottom is preferred?

That would help for sure strength wise. Typical weld interface is 30% so your suggestion will help stiffen that joint versus just a levered effect.
tazz9924
QUOTE(FL 000 @ May 23 2021, 09:06 AM) *

That should be good size tubing for what you are doing, it’s possible you could go .090 but the peanut gallery would know better. Cutting a hole and welding from both sides isn’t necessary. With good penetration you wont have issues. Of course it all depends on your design. A good drawing would be good so we can help you the best!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.