Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First weekend of real work - Were fuel tanks coated at the factory?
jrmdir
post May 30 2021, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi everyone:

A follow up to my newbie intro thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2918441

Yesterday I finally was able to start digging - following the good advice I got re: seeing if I can get this car running before going all in with an engine drop.

First out was the fuel tank which fortunately was empty. Even more fortunate was the fact that I didn't pour in a gallon or two since as you can see both hoses broke off just from lifting the tank.

But the main thing I found was literally 2 + inches of flakes piled up in and around the well. Only about an inch of the strainer was sticking out and the return line nozzle was buried. The tank is not unusually rusty and the flakes seem to have come from a black coating inside the tank. Is this typical? Given the condition of the hoses and lack of rust I can't believe the tank had ever been removed and sealed by a PO.

Regardless, it cleans up pretty well but should I be concerned about further flaking? Seems like it would take a long time to build up another pile and the strainer and filter should do their things but should I consider a replacement tank? I know there are many options for cleaning and resealing but given the lack of leaks I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of stuff in there.

BTW, yes - I will be installing SS lines once I do get around to dropping the engine and don't plan on driving it much in the meantime.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks!

Ron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 30 2021, 08:30 AM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

I have never seen any indication they were coated from the factory. These were budget priced cars and had few upgraded features.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 30 2021, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jrmdir @ May 30 2021, 06:22 AM) *

Hi everyone:

A follow up to my newbie intro thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2918441

Yesterday I finally was able to start digging - following the good advice I got re: seeing if I can get this car running before going all in with an engine drop.

First out was the fuel tank which fortunately was empty. Even more fortunate was the fact that I didn't pour in a gallon or two since as you can see both hoses broke off just from lifting the tank.

But the main thing I found was literally 2 + inches of flakes piled up in and around the well. Only about an inch of the strainer was sticking out and the return line nozzle was buried. The tank is not unusually rusty and the flakes seem to have come from a black coating inside the tank. Is this typical? Given the condition of the hoses and lack of rust I can't believe the tank had ever been removed and sealed by a PO.

Regardless, it cleans up pretty well but should I be concerned about further flaking? Seems like it would take a long time to build up another pile and the strainer and filter should do their things but should I consider a replacement tank? I know there are many options for cleaning and resealing but given the lack of leaks I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of stuff in there.

BTW, yes - I will be installing SS lines once I do get around to dropping the engine and don't plan on driving it much in the meantime.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks!

Ron

Nasty stuff, and now that replacement new tanks are available that would be my choice. I spent the money to have my tank cleaned, and found out later I could have bought new for less money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 30 2021, 09:46 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Jamie @ May 30 2021, 11:08 AM) *

Nasty stuff, and now that replacement new tanks are available that would be my choice. I spent the money to have my tank cleaned, and found out later I could have bought new for less money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Tanks were not coated originally. Someone tried to apply tank sealer.

1) No reason to apply sealer unless it were leaking in the 1st place.

2) Sealer rarely works. Usually results in exactly what you have occuring.

3) Even if you try to get the sealer out, you still probably have to address #1.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jrmdir
post May 30 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 25,544

Thanks people! Looks like my initial parts order list just got longer.

Cheers,

Ron
+Quote Post
Sycolyst
post May 31 2021, 08:21 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 23,312

Do you have a place that can dip the tank? I took mine out and had it dipped and it came out pristine. I then put a nice coat of paint on the outside and did NOT put sealer inside it. Since I did this ahead of my engine rebuild, I put a quart of WD40 inside the tank and sealed it up and shook the crap out of it. I then drained it and installed it in the car. When the engine was complete (3 months later) the tank was like new. Added fuel and presto....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:34 PM