Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First weekend of real work - Were fuel tanks coated at the factory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi everyone:

A follow up to my newbie intro thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2918441

Yesterday I finally was able to start digging - following the good advice I got re: seeing if I can get this car running before going all in with an engine drop.

First out was the fuel tank which fortunately was empty. Even more fortunate was the fact that I didn't pour in a gallon or two since as you can see both hoses broke off just from lifting the tank.

But the main thing I found was literally 2 + inches of flakes piled up in and around the well. Only about an inch of the strainer was sticking out and the return line nozzle was buried. The tank is not unusually rusty and the flakes seem to have come from a black coating inside the tank. Is this typical? Given the condition of the hoses and lack of rust I can't believe the tank had ever been removed and sealed by a PO.

Regardless, it cleans up pretty well but should I be concerned about further flaking? Seems like it would take a long time to build up another pile and the strainer and filter should do their things but should I consider a replacement tank? I know there are many options for cleaning and resealing but given the lack of leaks I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of stuff in there.

BTW, yes - I will be installing SS lines once I do get around to dropping the engine and don't plan on driving it much in the meantime.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks!

Ron
bdstone914
I have never seen any indication they were coated from the factory. These were budget priced cars and had few upgraded features.
Jamie
QUOTE(jrmdir @ May 30 2021, 06:22 AM) *

Hi everyone:

A follow up to my newbie intro thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2918441

Yesterday I finally was able to start digging - following the good advice I got re: seeing if I can get this car running before going all in with an engine drop.

First out was the fuel tank which fortunately was empty. Even more fortunate was the fact that I didn't pour in a gallon or two since as you can see both hoses broke off just from lifting the tank.

But the main thing I found was literally 2 + inches of flakes piled up in and around the well. Only about an inch of the strainer was sticking out and the return line nozzle was buried. The tank is not unusually rusty and the flakes seem to have come from a black coating inside the tank. Is this typical? Given the condition of the hoses and lack of rust I can't believe the tank had ever been removed and sealed by a PO.

Regardless, it cleans up pretty well but should I be concerned about further flaking? Seems like it would take a long time to build up another pile and the strainer and filter should do their things but should I consider a replacement tank? I know there are many options for cleaning and resealing but given the lack of leaks I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of stuff in there.

BTW, yes - I will be installing SS lines once I do get around to dropping the engine and don't plan on driving it much in the meantime.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks!

Ron

Nasty stuff, and now that replacement new tanks are available that would be my choice. I spent the money to have my tank cleaned, and found out later I could have bought new for less money! sheeplove.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jamie @ May 30 2021, 11:08 AM) *

Nasty stuff, and now that replacement new tanks are available that would be my choice. I spent the money to have my tank cleaned, and found out later I could have bought new for less money! sheeplove.gif

agree.gif

Tanks were not coated originally. Someone tried to apply tank sealer.

1) No reason to apply sealer unless it were leaking in the 1st place.

2) Sealer rarely works. Usually results in exactly what you have occuring.

3) Even if you try to get the sealer out, you still probably have to address #1.
jrmdir
Thanks people! Looks like my initial parts order list just got longer.

Cheers,

Ron
Sycolyst
Do you have a place that can dip the tank? I took mine out and had it dipped and it came out pristine. I then put a nice coat of paint on the outside and did NOT put sealer inside it. Since I did this ahead of my engine rebuild, I put a quart of WD40 inside the tank and sealed it up and shook the crap out of it. I then drained it and installed it in the car. When the engine was complete (3 months later) the tank was like new. Added fuel and presto....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.