Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suspension console figment issues/ any advice, Having some figment issues with new suspension console
Superhawk996
post Jun 1 2021, 06:43 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A couple things to consider.

1) It is more of a pivoting around the bolt hole rather than a pure translation of the whole console. I really didn't have to trim much to get it to fit. It was more of a thin triangular taper. More at the front, none at the rear.

2) If your original console was rusted and weak - you can't fully assume that it hadn't deflected and was in the OEM position when you built the fixture. Mine was so far gone, a fixture whould have been worthless. LOL! Yours looked much more solid tha mine!

Attached Image

3) What ultimately matters is the wheelbase, track width are maintained while still also allowing for alignment geometry.

Don't get fixated on where the original console was. Better to measure the items in #3 and be sure those can be met before final welding.

Having said all that, take my words as a generalization becuase I still don't have mine in place for final fitment.

Great job working to save another teener. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 1 2021, 08:06 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
So long as you've measured and are confident the pivot shaft is in the correct location, in correct plane, etc., it sorta doesn't matter how things connect to the chassis. Yes, I'm exaggerating a little but you get what I mean.

Keep the pics & posts coming. I'd really like to see how your build comes together.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 1 2021, 09:17 AM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 1 2021, 05:43 AM) *

2) If your original console was rusted and weak - you can't fully assume that it hadn't deflected and was in the OEM position when you built the fixture.

Try to triangulate the current bolt hole location on both sides and see if the distances to other chassis points are an exact mirror on each side.

If not, maybe your original mount wasn't in the correct location when you started.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Alain V.
post Jun 1 2021, 06:17 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,655
Region Association: None

Thanks guys, you all bring up some good points.

I did measure distance from left to right side ear,,,,and to the little hole under the rear window area of the firewall.

I do not have the lower hole in the center of the firewall to measure to that Jeff Hail mentions in his build.

Of course, I got too busy at work today to call RD, and I'm probably going to check all my measurements one more time before bugging them, as I am pretty sure I can get the desired fit with just a little planning & trimming.

I suppose it might be time for me to start a "build thread" of my own for this little car.
My progress won't be too fast.
In addition to the 914, I have a number of other "projects" that eat up my time.

I try and work on the 914 on Sunday mornings. Sometimes, I get lucky & manage to get a 3 day week end on it.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 1 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Alain V. @ Jun 1 2021, 08:17 PM) *

I suppose it might be time for me to start a "build thread" of my own for this little car.
My progress won't be too fast.

In addition to the 914, I have a number of other "projects" that eat up my time.

I try and work on the 914 on Sunday mornings. Sometimes, I get lucky & manage to get a 3 day week end on it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I've been posting on my build since Dec 2019 and still not done. Can't be any slower than that! Like you, if I manage a solid 1 1/2 days in on a weekend I think I'm doing really well. Work doesn't leave much time to get much done on a week night!

By all means post a build thread! You've got good stuff going on there.
+Quote Post
Alain V.
post Jun 6 2021, 04:48 PM
Post #26

Well, just wanted to apologize for no updates.
I didn’t get a chance to work on my car this weekend.

Helped a friend on Saturday with his newly acquired 1949 studebaker truck /barnfind.
Today I helped another friend who is microsquirting his 914.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Alain V.
post Jun 6 2021, 04:49 PM
Post #27

Stude

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jun 6 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 1 2021, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 1 2021, 05:43 AM) *

2) If your original console was rusted and weak - you can't fully assume that it hadn't deflected and was in the OEM position when you built the fixture.

Try to triangulate the current bolt hole location on both sides and see if the distances to other chassis points are an exact mirror on each side.

If not, maybe your original mount wasn't in the correct location when you started.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Thanks Andy!

Bingo.

Can triangulate from the front suspension cross member rear mounting bolt holes all the way back to the consoles with a tram gauge. It will get you length relative to the suspension mounting front to rear but not height and rough width if you measure correctly.

Also use the hole in the center of the firewall below the back window as a center point to measure from. From that point you can obtain height and width using stone age tools.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:00 PM