Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front trunk lid rubber buffer stops
bkrantz
post Jun 10 2021, 08:21 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This thread is getting racy, with talk about nipples and things hanging down underneath. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 10 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 10 2021, 07:18 PM) *

My "73 has only two drain tubes which exit the bottom of the car just behind the steering rack cover. One is for the air box (internal condensation) & the other is for the gas tank filler cap apron.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

These little guys
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com-20845-1623382507.1.jpg)

It's unclear whether there are supposed to be 1 or 2 under the frunk pan. There are two identical size holes so I installed 2. It's possible one of the holes should have a plug instead. Like many of these little rubber parts, they seem to be missing from the PET. Another bit of German engineering being design to bend backward as the car moves down the road and create suction in the tube to suck the water out of the frunk.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 11 2021, 06:33 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 09:35 PM) *

My "73 has only two drain tubes which exit the bottom of the car just behind the steering rack cover. One is for the air box (internal condensation) & the other is for the gas tank filler cap apron.

These little guys
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com-20845-1623382507.1.jpg)

It's unclear whether there are supposed to be 1 or 2 under the frunk pan. There are two identical size holes so I installed 2. It's possible one of the holes should have a plug instead. Like many of these little rubber parts, they seem to be missing from the PET. Another bit of German engineering being design to bend backward as the car moves down the road and create suction in the tube to suck the water out of the frunk.

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
when the car is moving, neg air pressure drains any moisture out of the spare wheel well.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well. the suction is not created by them bending backwards but by the slit aperture.

the tubes are i believe still available today from porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911. and they used them on something else too which i forget.

you might be right about them not being in parts diagram. my mechanic recognized what they were on mine when we had it up on the hoist. i had to glue one of them up as it was starting to crack after all this time. but both were still there.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 11 2021, 06:41 AM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 11 2021, 08:33 AM) *

These little guys

I believe 914 rubber carries them

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
when the car is moving, neg air pressure drains any moisture out of the spare wheel well.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well.

the tubes are still available today rom porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911.

you might be right about them not being in parts diagram. my mechanic recognized what they were on mine when we had it up on the hoist. i had to glue one of them up as it was starting to crack after all this time. but both were still there.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 11 2021, 06:42 AM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

These little guys

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well.

the tubes are still available today rom porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911.

I believe 914rubber also has them
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 11 2021, 06:49 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2021, 06:42 AM) *

These little guys

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.

I believe 914rubber also has them

yes its funny what you can get and from who.
porsche buy them from 914 rubber and then sell them on to dumbo australians?
if you are stoopid enough to rebuild the dopey spare tyre windscreen washer system, all the back flow valves for the rubber tubes to the washers you can still buy direct from porsche. yet serious sh%t you need,......like um, ........injectors its a shrug of the shoulders.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jun 11 2021, 10:13 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 08:35 PM) *

These little guys

Interesting... Thanks for the education.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 11 2021, 10:46 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 11 2021, 05:33 AM) *

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well. the suction is not created by them bending backwards but by the slit aperture.

the tubes are i believe still available today from porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911. and they used them on something else too which i forget.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they work on combination Bernoulli's Principle and venturi effect. I am probably over thinking but thought the bending (which they do when the car is at speed) would place the open slit at the trailing edge of an air foil created by the bending and perhaps maximize the suction of the air blowing by. Plus, fresh air blowing across the dangly bits probably feels good to the car.

Being an Aussie, you are forgiven for not knowing how else moisture gets in the frunk, but anyone who has lived in a cold and humid climate does. Condensation and frost get on every surface and will accumulate water in places like the frunk in surprising quantity. Luckily the cars were designed by Germans who know about such things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I got mine from 914Rubber.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 11 2021, 12:32 PM
Post #29

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Thanks for your support. We have found many of these little parts that are needed and continue to make more. Have a few other new small parts that will be done next week!
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jun 11 2021, 12:42 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 11 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks for your support. We have found many of these little parts that are needed and continue to make more. Have a few other new small parts that will be done next week!

And be sure to install with the slit parallel to the steering rack so that they can properly suck out the moisture while driving! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 03:08 PM