Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> speedometer and odometer question
surfdogskier
post Jun 5 2021, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,019
Region Association: None

Hey guys,

Ever since I have owned my car, the speedometer and odometer never worked. I pulled by gauge out to watch the cables. Neither of them move while driving. I can physically turn the speedo wire with my fingers where it attaches to the gauge.

Do these share a common component or separate issues? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 5 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The speedometer and odometer share the same cable. the other cable you see would be the trip odometer reset cable that attaches on the other end to a knob under the dash.

Sounds like you have a broken speedometer cable if you can turn the cable wire with your fingers. The other possibility would be a bad angle drive which is the device attached to the transmission case that the other end of the speedo cable attaches to. Try pulling the cable wire out of the sleeve. If it is broken, it will slide out pretty easy and you'll have your answer.
+Quote Post
surfdogskier
post Jun 5 2021, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 5 2021, 12:25 PM) *

The speedometer and odometer share the same cable. the other cable you see would be the trip odometer reset cable that attaches on the other end to a knob under the dash.

Sounds like you have a broken speedometer cable if you can turn the cable wire with your fingers. The other possibility would be a bad angle drive which is the device attached to the transmission case that the other end of the speedo cable attaches to. Try pulling the cable wire out of the sleeve. If it is broken, it will slide out pretty easy and you'll have your answer.

Thank you sir!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:58 AM