Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedometer and odometer question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
Hey guys,

Ever since I have owned my car, the speedometer and odometer never worked. I pulled by gauge out to watch the cables. Neither of them move while driving. I can physically turn the speedo wire with my fingers where it attaches to the gauge.

Do these share a common component or separate issues? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason
bbrock
The speedometer and odometer share the same cable. the other cable you see would be the trip odometer reset cable that attaches on the other end to a knob under the dash.

Sounds like you have a broken speedometer cable if you can turn the cable wire with your fingers. The other possibility would be a bad angle drive which is the device attached to the transmission case that the other end of the speedo cable attaches to. Try pulling the cable wire out of the sleeve. If it is broken, it will slide out pretty easy and you'll have your answer.
surfdogskier
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 5 2021, 12:25 PM) *

The speedometer and odometer share the same cable. the other cable you see would be the trip odometer reset cable that attaches on the other end to a knob under the dash.

Sounds like you have a broken speedometer cable if you can turn the cable wire with your fingers. The other possibility would be a bad angle drive which is the device attached to the transmission case that the other end of the speedo cable attaches to. Try pulling the cable wire out of the sleeve. If it is broken, it will slide out pretty easy and you'll have your answer.

Thank you sir!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.