Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2056 build advice requested from those that have been there, June 23 update: original heads rebuilt and will be reinstalled with 96's, will save up for the full upgraded LN
Mark Henry
post Jun 24 2021, 05:38 AM
Post #41

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

You have to measure head cc, if HAM heads cc is stamped on the head. You have to buy or make a plate and use a syringe to measure the head cc. Measure deck height and then plug all your numbers into the engine calculator.
Shims come in .010" increments, play with the calculator till you find your CR and shims size.

Many threads on how to do this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 24 2021, 06:37 AM
Post #42

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 24 2021, 07:38 AM) *

You have to measure head cc, if HAM heads cc is stamped on the head. You have to buy or make a plate and use a syringe to measure the head cc. Measure deck height and then plug all your numbers into the engine calculator.
Shims come in .010" increments, play with the calculator till you find your CR and shims size.

Many threads on how to do this.

roger that. will do some research on this, and once i get my heads back from the shop, will go to work on getting these measurements done and figure out how much gasket is necessary.
so- no gaskets at head, measure, figure deck height CC etc, get gasket if needed, for placement at base of cylinders, etc etc.

thanks for the advice etc, kind of helped me from doing things here that are not needed unless i do a full rebuild, which will happen at some point, but right now, just getting this running and back on the road, shouldnt be too hard of a task.
its giving me a chance since the motor is out, to address the leak at the oil pump seal and the push rod tubes. moving on...... - original heads rebuilt, but i will be looking close at which rebuild i would like to do going forward.
Phil
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 24 2021, 07:02 AM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That's the nice thing about the LN kits. He has combos that have been tested and proven vs throwing a bunch of nice parts at a build and hoping it all works. Sort of like when a professional looks something over and charges $200 for 5 minutes. You are not really paying for the 5 minutes, you are paying for the years of education that allow him to make a determination in 5 minutes.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 24 2021, 04:01 PM
Post #44

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Hi Phil, thanks! but could you keep these questions in the garage.

Mark, would you suggest if i have my stock but newly rebuilt heads and original cylinders etc , should i at least place new rings on pistons while they are all at this point, i will have to pull the cylinders to shim probably , and if so what brand, type for a stock 94mm 2.0 would you use?

- machine shop said he thoguht the cylinder gaskets that came off those were only .010's, but i dont know for sure so it will all have to be measured as you suggested to make sure.

PHil- many thanks.!!!

I'd always at minimum measure the jugs and slugs, hone and re-ring, I've done it many times, I have a set on the shelf. The jugs must be in spec, the ring lands have to be good etc.
Honestly I've never had an issue with Grants or Deves rings, Goetze can take 1K to break in.

Stock VR gasket set base shims are about .008 you can use up to 3 shims per jug. You can get shims in bigger sizes from T4store, EMW, AA, etc.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 25 2021, 07:04 AM
Post #45

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 24 2021, 06:01 PM) *

Hi Phil, thanks! but could you keep these questions in the garage.

sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mark, would you suggest if i have my stock but newly rebuilt heads and original cylinders etc , should i at least place new rings on pistons while they are all at this point, i will have to pull the cylinders to shim probably , and if so what brand, type for a stock 94mm 2.0 would you use?

- machine shop said he thoguht the cylinder gaskets that came off those were only .010's, but i dont know for sure so it will all have to be measured as you suggested to make sure.

PHil- many thanks.!!!

I'd always at minimum measure the jugs and slugs, hone and re-ring, I've done it many times, I have a set on the shelf. The jugs must be in spec, the ring lands have to be good etc.
Honestly I've never had an issue with Grants or Deves rings, Goetze can take 1K to break in.

Stock VR gasket set base shims are about .008 you can use up to 3 shims per jug. You can get shims in bigger sizes from T4store, EMW, AA, etc.

good to know, been , looking etc
BTW for all persons, lots of stuff is either on back order or not available for months,
lots of suppliers are backed up and out of stock on parts and supplies.
-thanks for t he info on the spacers and shims,

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:10 AM